Do you still buy pedals?

I still use my regular amps, so I have pedals for them. I could, of course, just use the FAS gear into the amp, but old habits die hard. :laughing: I also throw pedals in with my FAS gear sometimes. So, even though it’s pretty rare these days, I do still pick up a pedal from time to time. I really don’t need them, but you know how that song goes!

The only pedal I've bought is a volume/FX pedal. I've been tempted and I do still look around, but just know that it'd sit idle. Specifically I've wondered about a Strymon Blue Sky, but the reverbs in the FAS products are killer, so why bother.

No, not buying pedals and have no interest in getting more, although I was never a big pedal buyer.

I still have a handful that I've used for a long time and don't want to get rid of (Keeley Fuzz Head, MXR CBMOD, Whirlwind Orange Box, and EVH wah), but I've recently gone all-in on the FM9 for all effects in 4cm with my Mesa (and also use its amp models + effects with a ss power amp + cab).

Super happy with the FM9 for effects. (Would just love an "authentic" or simple interface for delays and modulations.)

The only pedal I've bought is a volume/FX pedal. I've been tempted and I do still look around, but just know that it'd sit idle. Specifically I've wondered about a Strymon Blue Sky, but the reverbs in the FAS products are killer, so why bother.
For what's worth, I had Blue Sky, sold it once I got a FM3, but sold that, now I have FM9... Needless to say if you have a AXFX or FM(x) you will not need a blue sky... Save your money for a cheeseburger diner! Just a suggestion
Cheers

Nope. Haven't even considered buying any since getting the FX8 in 2016. Now, with the Axe III and FM3, the only time I check out pedals is if it's an effect that sounds interesting and want to emulate it in the Axe III or FM3.

For a long time I did not, but then I got curious at comparing the modelling vs the real thing. So I ended up buying the tube amp that I am mostly using in the Fractal as well as a couple of overdrive pedals in order to compare. My humble conclusion is, that the fractal does an amazing job so I still use it as the main rig, but the journey has tought me a lot about how the overdrive pedals and amp work together in real life which in turn made dialing in the fractal easier :)

The setup for me is a Mesa Boogie Mark IV "USA Lead" model (using a Mark V:35 in Mark IV mode in real life) and the Zendrive pedal with just a tiny bit of overdrive to shape the lead tone to how I want it. In the fractal I use scene controllers to change the amount of overdrive in the amp as needed, which of course is a bit hard to do in real life :)

I don’t really buy anything digital, dsp in a box type of modulation etc, but certainly still enjoy analog fuzz, especially with vintage transistors and such, not to mention some older Boss and similar when I come across them for a good deal. They are collectible and fun if nothing else

No. One of the many reasons I like modelers is I never liked dealing with pedals. They were necessary to get the tone you wanted with a real amp, but they were noisy, knobs always seem to get moved, cables would break, power supplies would go bad, just yet another thing to cause problems.

still yes, but with declining interest though - some specialty pedals (Mimiq, Freqout, Mosaic), and bit of an od/ds collector - a few od/ds sounds that are different / not modelled in Axfx specifically or not yet fairly easily / obviously (for me) dialed in with a non-specific model variation. I also have H9, M5, SA Nemesis for mods / delays but rarely have interest to go there for different flavours - should prob sell those as Axe does it all better to my ear. Also have 2 small amp heads to drive some nice cabs I have, and I guess just for some reference back to what real tube amps do however slight the difference is. All in the context of a non-pro, non-gigging, home music room hacker who really should be directing more energy to playing skills.

Last edited:
I have been on board since I got a Axe Fx Standard > Axe Fx II > Ax8 > Axe Fx III. The biggest problem-solving device out there without compromise. --- But a few years ago, picked up a Fender Princeton had no intention of buying pedals, was to sit in the living room as a practice amp/functional art piece.

But then I got one drive pedal a little over a year ago, Nobels ODR-1 (need it for those single coils) and that’s where the gas kicked back in. And right now, that count is about 16. However! At first it was more functional art, the pedals on display on shelves. And grab one or two when the mood hit.

But now I have a 8 loop switcher on the way and plan on building a pedal board based on the Boss 200 series pedals. Drives (OD-200), EQ (EQ-200), Modulation (MD-200) Delays & Reverb (Space Echo RE-202). These four pedals cover allot of ground and sound great.

That’s 4 loops, the Nobles will be another and after I add a compressor, that’s 6 loops and the other two loops will be for “guest pedals”.

So why??? I love the Axe Fx and what I want, I can get out of it. Simple I just love the process! During the 80’s use to build racks for myself, and other people on occasion (side money and found it fun!)

Back
Top Bottom