Do you record with any Axe effects on or use your DAW?

So, sorry for the noobish question, but are you guys recording completely dry and adding effects in your DAW or does anyone use the effects in the Axe while recording and if so which ones if any? I guess there's no right or wrong way but was just curious. I'd always been under the impression it was better to record dry but am I misinformed? Thanks guys!

So, sorry for the noobish question, but are you guys recording completely dry and adding effects in your DAW or does anyone use the effects in the Axe while recording and if so which ones if any? I guess there's no right or wrong way but was just curious. I'd always been under the impression it was better to record dry but am I misinformed? Thanks guys!

I use a reverb block after my cab, set to small room, low mix. Just to give some 'space' to the cab (i hate the way isolated guitars sound, just personal preference). And then I do everything else in Protools. :)

I record sometimes dry sometimes with effects (wet). It depends what I want. When I record dry I put the effects from Logic Pro. It works fine! I think there are so many songs you "must" use Axe Fx effects, just like U2, Dream Theater etc.
Sorry for my English (from Brazil)

Regards

I use the DAW always, since it will follow the tempo (delay), I haven't added a reverb from my Axe yet while recording, I'm just used to my DAW's effects, but I'm sure a reverb from the axe would'nt change much

Yes, I use effects just as if I were recording my rig. Especially the comp, reverb and delay. We as guitar players respond differently/play differently based on what we are hearing while we play and I am coming from a country background where comp and verb are always ON. Also, despite having a 'rack' full of UAD plugins, the AXE has its own effect sounds that are super pleasing / well voiced for guitar.

I like post production flexibility but I also like committing to a sound like my peers of old. I like writing 'for' the tune with the the tone. As a producer I also prefer this method when working with others.
In truth we are blessed and it has never been a better time to be in this gig, tonally. Cheers!

It is situationally dependent. I like to record my solos wet. I record with delays. If the delay is too quiet, I adjust my delay level and do another take. I record with my modulation effects on when I'm using them. I am one of those guys that wants to make the creative decision in the moment and build my mix around that sound. Also, I find that I don't like to use the CPU necessary to add all the delays that I want to use. Unless, of course, it's vocals. Then I just record with an AUX going that has a very quiet reverb because I find that it makes the performance a little more compelling. All delay and modulation, drive effects on vocals - that's all done post-recording.

If it's sense of space that I'm after, or something particular in the effects world (shifting filters, modulation effect on the whole mix or a section, etc.) that all happens post-recording as well. Otherwise, if I'm not ready to record the "finalized" sound, I figure I'm not ready to record. You dig?

I like to record both wet/dry tracks. That means the dry track is truly dry, just the DI of the guitar through an effects loop on the Axe, no amp/cab modeling. Depending on the effects quality in your DAW or other outboard gear, there's probably an advantage to just using amp/cab modeling in some situations. The nice thing about recording dry is you can do anything with it later, reamp through the Axe or through your DAW, etc.

I record primarily with the Axe presets as created for live use/song construction, and then add additional "color" using the palette crafted for the tune in the DAW. I dig Strumzilla's idea as well but haven't used it as much mainly because I don't think of it when I'm "in the moment" (though I probably will from now on).

Mono dry and stereo wet. Dry (any instrument) direct from my preamp and wet through a spdif loop. I try to get the wet correct the first time around but have the dry in case it needs to be redone.

I only use reverb in tracking for weird wash effects. The room level in the cab block is sufficient to get a feeling of space.

Back
Top Bottom