Do you record mono with axe?

I record in mono, when I do dual panned guitars, but I record stereo when I do anything else... Store stereo reverbs and delays are a cool thing to capture, ya know.
Anyway, to convert the Axe FX signal to mono, go to "I/O > Audio" and change the "Output 1 mode" to "L+R Sum" or "Copy L->R"
Or simply, within the DAW, just record the Left or Right channel, like I do...

Ah.... Hmm... Why not just arm only 1 mono track? then you're ecording in mono.unless you're recoding with effects that are stereo. If so then colasping the outputs mono may cause phasing issues.

Your daw should really be the deciding factor on weather you record mono or stereo unless I'm missing something in your question.

Last edited:
I see, so i can just leave it as is, and create a mono track in daw, (cubase in my case). Basically I like to record mono guitar tracks, as that seems to be the best practice, otherwise I end with stacks of stereo tracks, but just wanted to know what you guys are doing so that I can learn.

I see, so i can just leave it as is, and create a mono track in daw, (cubase in my case). Basically I like to record mono guitar tracks, as that seems to be the best practice, otherwise I end with stacks of stereo tracks, but just wanted to know what you guys are doing so that I can learn.

Yes.

Your DAW controls whether or not you are recording mono or stereo from the Fractal.

Your Fractal preset determines what audio is in the L and R outputs. For example you could have something panned hard right or left in the Fractal, then the L and R output might not be identical.

Thanks everyone! @barhrecords, thx for that! If I set the output to L+R Sum, that means then that resulting stereo track will feature different characteristics on left and right channel, right? Whats the most common type of setting then, L+R sum, Copy L>R or stereo for production?

I never use L+R sum and keep the global output mode stereo.

For demos, I create a stereo track in my DAW and record L and R at the same time.

For production, I record dry. I program my presets in mono. So either L or R work for me in mono. My typical chain is: Drive -> Compressor -> Phase / Vib -> Amp -> Cab. All in mono.

For demos I would add: Drive -> Compressor -> Phase / Vib -> Amp -> Cab -> Mono Tape Delay -> Stereo Reverb

@Slowlearner glad I could help.

I've been doing this for a long time but I still get excited about it. It's cool to see someone starting out and learning their way.

It's a never ending journey for me. Always something to learn and have fun with.

I almost exclusively record in mono, but it is fun to setup stereo presents every once in awhile and play through two 2x12s spread out in the room...

Yes. I believe in layering of tracks to get huge guitar tones. I'm okay with doing multiple takes, since everyone is recording to DAWs nowadays we don't have any fear of running out of tape, or tracks :)

I don’t do pro recording but when I record I mostly record rhythm in stereo (sometimes 2 amps @ 80-100% pan) and lead in mono.

It depends. I record mono when I record dry, or double track rhythms. I record stereo if I have to print certain effects. I use XLR out. I seldom use USB for recording.

Back
Top Bottom