Do you like to crap on other's classifieds?

Doug Lewis

Inspired
I just took a quick look in the classifieds and the first two I looked at were replied to first by other people here to tell them they're asking too much because prices have gone down and people should just spend the extra $100-$200 and get a new one. ...effectively making their ad ineffective. I remember listing a guitar here and the first person to reply said how beautiful my Anderson is, but he got his at "blahblahblah.com and soandso gave him a killer deal on a new one and would highly recommend people contact them if they want an Anderson".
Help me understand. It seems if you feel that strongly about helping someone sell (and I'm sure that's the only reason you would leave a big steaming pile on their ad) you could send them a PM with a suggestion.

The Buy/Sell areas of the forum are covered by the same rules as the rest of site modulo a small set of additional rules laid out here. There are no rules that make commenting on listings here a forbidden activity. At the end of the day, it's a discussion forum and all posts in all forums are open for discussion. Including the Buy/Sell posts.

If you want an experience with a more explicit set of rules around comments on for sale posts, consider another site? The Gear Page has an experience that might better suit your expectations.

If someone is violating the rules of the site posting on your for-sale threads please use the "Report" button at the bottom of their posts and the moderation team will handle it.

The Buy/Sell areas of the forum are covered by the same rules as the rest of site modulo a small set of additional rules laid out here. There are no rules that make commenting on listings here a forbidden activity. At the end of the day, it's a discussion forum and all posts in all forums are open for discussion. Including the Buy/Sell posts.

If you want an experience with a more explicit set of rules around comments on for sale posts, consider another site? The Gear Page has an experience that might better suit your expectations.

If someone is violating the rules of the site posting on your for-sale threads please use the "Report" button at the bottom of their posts and the moderation team will handle it.

I'm on the Gear Page as well, and definitely have a better experience in the classifieds there than here. On the other hand I never "discuss" stuff there like I do here. I had no idea the classifieds section is just another discussion forum, but that explains why people use it critique the content. Consider myself informed :)

I just took a quick look in the classifieds and the first two I looked at were replied to first by other people here to tell them they're asking too much because prices have gone down and people should just spend the extra $100-$200 and get a new one. ...effectively making their ad ineffective. I remember listing a guitar here and the first person to reply said how beautiful my Anderson is, but he got his at "blahblahblah.com and soandso gave him a killer deal on a new one and would highly recommend people contact them if they want an Anderson".
Help me understand. It seems if you feel that strongly about helping someone sell (and I'm sure that's the only reason you would leave a big steaming pile on their ad) you could send them a PM with a suggestion.

No way to make any forum "dick-proof" I guess

I mentioned it on one of the listings here. It bugs me a lot. It happens all over, marketplace, TGP, rigtalk, here especially. If you don't like it, move on. People feel the need to comment on everything I guess. It's to the point I wont sell stuff on forums, only Reverb, clist or Ebay.

Someone will no doubt respond saying "well you commented on the comment" like before... uggh.

I mentioned it on one of the listings here. It bugs me a lot. It happens all over, marketplace, TGP, rigtalk, here especially. If you don't like it, move on. People feel the need to comment on everything I guess. It's to the point I wont sell stuff on forums, only Reverb, clist or Ebay.

Someone will no doubt respond saying "well you commented on the comment" like before... uggh.

I was typing a reply last night to you in the classified post (that I believe has been pulled) but thought the same thing so came here figuring this was the open discussion place. I thought you worded it perfectly in that post and couldn't agree more.

Sure, but on the other hand, people post ads with unrealistic prices, then bumping their on ad (basically spamming the forum), when no one buys the item. Then they get a little bit down to a still unrealistic price, then bump it again... etc.

I mean sure it's not convenient when they crap on your ad, but you crap on the forum with your own "stuff". (including myself)

Both ads I saw yesterday had never been bumped except from people crapping (discussing) on them but it's good to know there are people in place to decide what fair market value is for everyone else in an international trading place.

Wouldn't it be more effective for the seller if you PMd them to give guidance? It wouldn't bump their thread to the top, and possibly help with pricing.

Last edited:
Don’t “we”, as a community want everyone here to be able to not only sell things for a fair price, but also to buy things for a fair price ?

If there is an ad that raises tons of “red flags” should everyone just let it be, “buyer beware”, or should someone say something, maybe FAS can verify it’s a legit owner.

If someone is listing an item and says it’s a XL+ and the pics show it’s a II, is that not worth pointing out, because someone buying may not know the difference.

I also see just as many people say things like “great price”, and help “bump” the ad up higher.

I saw a guy selling a mkII for like $950 and chimed in “wow, amazing price, someone is going to get a deal, and added the seller is a good guy who’s been around here for a while”.

That can only help the seller, no ?

If your listing is accurate, if your price is fair, it should sell. Not much someone can say negative about.

If your trying to charge $3000 for a III, only will take a western union payment, and your claiming someone should buy yours to beat the waitlist, I think people should speak up.

They are making a false claim on scarcity, charging $750 over the new in stock price and with a questionable payment method. Someone could either totally overpay or not even get the merchandise.

I don’t think people should say “buy mine for $50 less” in a thread etc, but I think the community should try to ensure the B&S forum is a safe place to get fair deals, just as we try to do for the forum experience in general.

No one moderator can keep track of every single ad posted so we as a community can help out, with restraint.

If someone says it comes with a warranty and we know that is false, yes, one could PM someone and ask them to clear that up, but it’s not required.

If you want a total anything goes experience, there are places like that, but this luckily isn’t one of them.

I’ve had great experiences buying and selling on here, and think it’s a great forum overall, in no small part to the community here.

maybe FAS can verify it’s a legit owner
This is something that I suspect will never be a regular service. It's both difficult from a work perspective and a legal perspective. On some very rare occasions FAS has removed some doubt from from for sale posts but I can count those occasions on two fingers over the last 5+ years.

This is something that I suspect will never be a regular service. It's both difficult from a work perspective and a legal perspective. On some very rare occasions FAS has removed some doubt from from for sale posts but I can count those occasions on two fingers over the last 5+ years.

Oh no, I didn’t mean to imply FAS research every listing or anything near, but simply it’s nice when things may seem a little sketchy to be able to help clear the situation. There was a guy who had a new in unopened box II, said he bought it as a spare and never opened it. FAS was able to confirm he did buy several and it was rightfully his. Normally you’d kind of wonder if it feel off the back of a truck as you just don’t see many unopened box products unless they were from a credit card scam and shipped to a fraudulent address for resale. Point being though, that as it’s a FAS product on a FAS forum, you can get some information you wouldn’t otherwise on other forums.

I just know if it was me, I’d rather buy a used product from members here than I would TGP etc. I think the community and the mods work hard to make this a safe and friendly experience for all, and we are lucky to have very few scammers, trolls, shills etc. No forum is perfect, but compared to other forums where you see straight up cons, obvious shills bashing the competition every chance they get etc, this place is pretty darn nice.

There was a guy who had a new in unopened box II, said he bought it as a spare and never opened it.
That's one of only two times I recall that happening.

I think the community and the mods work hard to make this a safe and friendly experience for all, and we are lucky to have very few scammers, trolls, shills etc.
I like the sentiment but feel the confidence is mis-placed. We don't do much of anything to verify. As always: use caution. If it seems too good to be true or too much like a scam, it probably is.

I think of those comments as helping the seller, otherwise he’d just have 4 months of “to the top“ bumps as no one buys his unit cause knocking a hundred bucks and the warranty off a new product with documented white screen of death issues is not going to make it sell. Standard used but perfect condition depreciation is around 25-30%, not 5%. If he’d have followed that pricing strict it would already be sold and we wouldn’t have this conversation. No more moderation is needed, don’t get all heavy handed with rules for the love of god.

Free Online Classifieds: You’re getting exactly what you paid for.

There's a lot to this. Reverb and Ebay charge you to sell, this is just a forum. The medium lends itself to commentary.

I think lonely assholes do that.

THIS is the bane of the internet. You can leave out "lonely." The ability to make a comment and walk away without needing dental work inspires many to say what they would not in person. As I've said before, giving every dolt with an iPhone a voice has consequences.

Posting an ad is not that bad!

This has been my experience in the few sales I have done here, as well as most posts. It's regrettable that others have had a different experience, but this is generally one of the better forums I have been on when it comes to a spirit of support and cooperation. Until they invent a dickly comment or stupid didn't-read-the-manual question filter, I can assume there will be flamey replies. I don't go to many other forums anymore, but this one is still well worth my time to get and give help with learning.

Such an innovation would be more valuable than the net worth of our entire industry.

Simply need to cater to a forum community with very singular opinions, beliefs, values, taste, demographics etc.

More “unified” the user base, the less “dicks”, because when a “dick” is in the company of a bunch of similar minded “dicks”, suddenly they don’t seem as much of a “dick”.

When someone has a differing opinion, taste, belief et al., than many others, they can be in many cases a “dick”.

Repeat back something that matches up with what I already believe and I’ll think your a cool dude. Say something that differs from my opinion and I’ll think your a “dick”.

Take certain TV news outlets.... bunch of dicks or just telling it like it is ?

Strangely, many don’t want balanced news, we want soemthing that will align with our own way of thinking, however that may lean.

Back
Top Bottom