Do you like a 13.7" guitar neck radius?

Have one guitar 14''. I don't like the feel but it gives me less fatigue....some love-hate relation...

It's an ESP guitar, so it's most likely 350 mm radius, which is about 13.78 inches. My Edwards (Also made by ESP) is spec'd with a 305 mm radius or about 12". I've played 9.5" radius Strats for years, but have come to like the 12" radius better.

Appears the vast majority of guitars in the LTD range are 350mm. I've played many of them and never had issues with the radius.

I generally prefer how rounder radius necks play. But 13.7inch would be more forgiving for bends as the action goes down -- gonna choke out not as soon, all other relevant variables being equal.

Also the difference between 13.7 and, say, 12inch (common on Les Pauls) is probably considerably smaller in terms of the actual radius arc and perhaps feel than some people may imagine.

Does make a meaningful difference for me, but yeah. So far the absolute best for me has been 10inch. Rounder and the action sacrifice is too much considering the bends I want, at a given tension, ECT ECT.

I historically liked a smaller radius, but my Anderson is a 12-14 compound and it feels GREAT.
I've had necks made that were as close as possible on the backside, but with different radius, and always preferred rounder.

But I've also had the experience of playing some guitar with a a flatter radius, like your Anderson, and the neck being so great, it still felt amazing.

I believe... that it's possible, even if maybe not quite as common, that differences in neck shape can not only account for a radius that isn't usually in one's preference, but also fit that flatter radius for playability better than a rounder one.

Even for people who typically, in other necks, prefer rounder.

Back
Top Bottom