Do you keep guitars you don't really use, if they're nice/rare/expensive?

Sold them all (roughly 15 in total) including a 25/50th Ann '79 Les Paul and one of the limited run '54 Strat Reissues in favor of 2 Soloways that were custom built to my specs (now with single coils and a term bridge and the other with single coils) and their 2 backups that I gig with every week.

I have 15 guitars, three basses and a mandolin and other than three of them, I have no sentimental attachment to any of them. I'm purely a studio rat and they all serve different purposes - a seven string, an eight string, one with a synth pickup, few metal guitars in different tunings, a Strat, a Tele, couple for slide, nylon string, lap steel and so on. I recently sold a few where I had upgraded because I am out of room and it's very much one-in-one-out. Even with the idea that they're all just tools for different jobs, I still regularly look around and confirm that they have a proper purpose, otherwise out they go - I don't like extraneous anything in my life. I sold all my amps and pedals when I got the Axe, for example. The majority of stuff I don't use often (for example my slide guitars) are cheap, so wouldn't fetch any cash worth getting excited over and I tend to think "Well, I use my screwdrivers a lot more than my chisels - but I still keep my chisels." Of course, later I swear about this when I'm changing strings for the one time in a year I want to record a slide part, or am oiling my chisels.

I keep old guitars, including some nasty-pieces-o-crap, and old effects, because you never know when you'll need that special/odd sound. Think of the Tiesco guitars, much reviled, and now their 'paper and foil' cheeze-o-matic pups are so sought after that they're actually being RECREATED by Lollar!

For Example: I rarely track or perform with my '59 Danelectro U1 - it's got a very specific sound, it's not flexible the way my hot-rodded strat is, but once in awhile I need its bluesy, gutbucket tone, and there it is, patiently waiting in my guitar rack for its moment to shine.

I have been reducing my stash of guitars lately. I currently have:

Peavey Patriot (first guitar)
LTD VB300 - sentimental value
Custom ESP - main guitar
Charvel soloist - backup guitar
Emerald X10 Acoustic

The only guitar i definitely will never sell is my own "signature" custom made by Rek Guitars in Poland.
Every spec down to the smallest detail was my own idea, so that one will never go.
I actually just today was thinking of selling a few some I've got some gas for another custom, a Skervesen.
I tried a couple today i haven't played for some time including a ESP Eclipse and a peavey vandenberg. But suddenly they felt really good so hesitating again... Gas is a bitch!
But I'll probably end up with a skervesen anyway since i rarely have gas for something and not end up buying it.

I keep old guitars, including some nasty-pieces-o-crap, and old effects, because you never know when you'll need that special/odd sound. Think of the Tiesco guitars, much reviled, and now their 'paper and foil' cheeze-o-matic pups are so sought after that they're actually being RECREATED by Lollar!

For Example: I rarely track or perform with my '59 Danelectro U1 - it's got a very specific sound, it's not flexible the way my hot-rodded strat is, but once in awhile I need its bluesy, gutbucket tone, and there it is, patiently waiting in my guitar rack for its moment to shine.
Really? Lol. I keep a teisco del ray in my truck for practice on my lunch break.

www.nickburbey.com
www.facebook.com/nickburbeyguitar

It's a beautiful thing. I followed your build and really enjoyed your approach.

I have also built a room within a room and was hoping to obtain more sound proofing then I ended up with. How is your sound proofing?

In my room at 110 db, i get too much low frequency build-up and it just escapes the room via the concrete foundation.

The concrete should not carry too much of that low frequency.
I finished a very similar build to Luke's not too long ago, and my band can rehearse full blast, and my wife and newborn sleep soundly one floor above.
My floor is concrete - carpet padding - carpet....that's it.
I had a profession design and build my room....and on the one hand, I was surprised at how simple the design was....but also, there are some critical mistakes that can be made that have a big (negative) impact that you don't think would be a big deal.
My designer talked me out of doing any treatment on the floor. (and he would have been installing, so he would have made money doing it).

If you did the room within a room, did any of the framing of your room, touch the framing of the house?
Also, what did you do with your ceiling? (how is it connected to the floor joist above?)

Last week was my first rehearsal with the new baby.....I wear ear plugs during rehearsal because it's obnoxiously loud.
So I can't even tell you how happy I was when I came upstairs after rehearsal and everyone was asleep in the family room!

to sell a PRS or a Les Paul Standars (signed by himself) for a Shur???? :eek:
Pure GAS!!! To many Axers videos!!!
Want te Shur?! ... it's ok... but... get the cash elsewhere Man!!!!

I have 2 custom Carvins I could never sell, the prs, a Paul, and a valley arts pro (gibson era) that's signed by Guthrie Govan. Those are my keepers, otherwise everything is tradeable.

Thank you all for responding! Helped give me some perspective on the situation!

www.nickburbey.com

Hah just sold my second custom carvin last night. Great quality. Both sounded horrible regardless of pickups. And necks were too thick. To each his own. I have a few I never play but love to see hanging. Actually not too $ compared to some art!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The concrete should not carry too much of that low frequency.
I finished a very similar build to Luke's not too long ago, and my band can rehearse full blast, and my wife and newborn sleep soundly one floor above.
My floor is concrete - carpet padding - carpet....that's it.
I had a profession design and build my room....and on the one hand, I was surprised at how simple the design was....but also, there are some critical mistakes that can be made that have a big (negative) impact that you don't think would be a big deal.
My designer talked me out of doing any treatment on the floor. (and he would have been installing, so he would have made money doing it).

If you did the room within a room, did any of the framing of your room, touch the framing of the house?
Also, what did you do with your ceiling? (how is it connected to the floor joist above?)

Last week was my first rehearsal with the new baby.....I wear ear plugs during rehearsal because it's obnoxiously loud.
So I can't even tell you how happy I was when I came upstairs after rehearsal and everyone was asleep in the family room!

Thanks for the comment BBN, a bit OT and I hope NickSwampMKE won't mind too much...?

I do think that my builder pulled a fast one on me, thinking that he could build a sound proof Home Theatre type room with resilient channels. On his first try, the ceiling was not double framed and we got a professional sound guy to come in, The sound guy explained that the ceiling of course needed to be double studded, which I thought had been quite clear from my specs at the onset. Anyway, they redid the ceiling but the sound guy said that there would still be some leakage via the floor, since it is not floating.

So I think it is possible that the framing of the room touched the framing of the house in some fashion, can't fully recall now and the ceiling is built using a resilient channel (as well as all the side walls), but there is some contact with the floor joist above. The sound leakage is much more obvious just above, in my kitchen. I think the whole room gave me around 25-30 db reduction, which is till not bad, but not really helping me much at 110 db.

Thanks for chiming in BBN.

Jean.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment BBN, a bit OT and I hope NickSwampMKE won't mind too much...?

I do think that my builder pulled a fast one on me, thinking that he could build a sound proof Home Theatre type room with resilient channels. On his first try, the ceiling was not double framed and we got a professional sound guy to come in, The sound guy explained that the ceiling of course needed to be double studded, which I thought had been quite clear from my specs at the onset. Anyway, they redid the ceiling but the sound guy said that there would still be some leakage via the floor, since it is not floating.

So I think it is possible that the framing of the room touched the framing of the house in some fashion, can't fully recall now and the ceiling is built using a resilient channel (as well as all the side walls), but there is some contact with the floor joist above. The sound leakage is much more obvious just above, in my kitchen. I think the whole room gave me around 25-30 db reduction, which is till not bad, but not really helping me much at 110 db.

Thanks for chiming in BBN.

Jean.
I would never mind.

www.nickburbey.com

I have a 1969 Gibson ES345 TD and I'm the only owner and player of the instrument since I was a teenager. It's still a beautiful instrument in excellent condition but because of the genre and venues I play I haven't touched in in 5 years. None of my kids play guitar. So what to do with it? It's such a waste to have a gem like that in a closet :-(.

I have an '82 LP Custom solid-body (Silverburst) bought right before they stopped making them. Single owner, me!!
Hardly ever play it, would break my back at a gig. I pull it out of it's case to check string tension, put new sets of strings on and clean it, then noodle some every now and again. My other keeper is my Carvin DC400 Custom.. working Axe. Birthday gift from the spouse, and very versatile.

I have a few others (Strat, ibanez, Yammy) and now down to a single bass guitar - Ibanez BTB1405E. 35" scale.

Those 2 and the bass are staying put for now - tho' I may upgrade the bass if the right one comes along - like a Spector LX5 Euro, or Lakland 55-02 or equivalent Warwick for example.

Back
Top Bottom