Do You Hear a Difference

Do You Hear a Difference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I cannot, under any circumstances get controlled feedback to happen close to degree the way I used to running a tube power amp and guitar cabs. Ever, no matter what I do.
I've never had a problem getting controlled feedback through my wedge. Try flipping the phase of the output that's feeding your wedge.

Last edited:
This riff remind me the first riff of ''On The Back Of Angels'', I liked the ''first one'' and the second one in ''Reverse'' when you played riff on high string notes and also I liked the Second one and the first one in Reverse when you played the riff on the low string notes... So I think if we could have a combination of the two clip
It should be an Ideal tone!!!

Last edited:
And here in lays what I consider to be the single biggest issue I have with the AXE. ... I cannot, under any circumstances get controlled feedback to happen close to degree the way I used to running a tube power amp and guitar cabs. Ever, no matter what I do.
Strange. I can get feedback quite easily with my CLRs & that's not playing too loud & also being off-axis from the wedges. Maybe we have really different ideas of what "loud as hell" means?

Could be a phase thing as someone mentioned - I have a guitar which allows me to flip the phase on the bridge pickup & it does sound a tad different & feeds back differently (low feedback on one setting, higher feedback on the other).,This may also be a function of where I'm standing with respect to the speaker, not sure. I believe some Matchless amps had a switch to change the phase of the speakers. Not sure if that was designed with this sort of thing in mind or just to allow two amps to be in phase, when using dual amps.

I liked the one everyone thinks is better , the best, so I like the best sounding one....just remind me which one sounds better :)

If there is any difference, age has raised the better to the best in my case. Frankly, if any audience could discern a difference, it would be a mute point and who cares!

Yeah you're right. I had a break down... long day at work and long day at the studio and that was the outcome and... you know how it is. :)

IMO a big part of this topic is how it makes you feel. I personally found nothing in your original post that I took as "I'm throwing in the towel." It's seems to be a common thing on interwebs though that people read what they want to, when someone else is stating an opinion. Then when they are called on it, they start lecturing on .... "It's not what you said but how you said it...."

I don't know you man, and I'm just a guy on the internet as well, but IMO don't stop questioning stuff. While the discussions may get heated form time to time, they are good discussions and really allow many community members to take part. If a few disgruntled users can't handle what you are saying, they shouldn't get involved in the discussion.

With all this "do you hear what I hear" stuff, I just wonder, how many of us have had your ears checked just to see what frequencies you are capable of hearing? Want to see how subjective this thread is ? A simple youtube video test will reveal which frequencies are missing. :shock
Cool Hearing test - YouTube

Well, that doesn't really prove anything because you can probably hear at 16k if you have your headphones up loud enough. A real hearing test has an ever increasing volume at each pitch in a quiet room with standard headphones. This gives you a read on how much loss you have an at what frequency. It's interesting however to hear how the volume shifts up and down while it pans through the frequencies... indicating that I obviously have some loss in a few frequencies. I know for a fact that I have "mild hearing loss" above 8k as I had it tested a few years ago.

I'm amazed people don't hear the difference, it's very clear to me. 2 does sound warmer, and more dynamic. I think with some eq'ing you could get very close though.

But I am very happy with my AxeFX, I now play much more guitar than I did for the last two years, because I have an enormous wealth of great sounds at low volume levels. I'm having fun, so if it's not 100% the same as the real thing isn't a major issue with me.
I was already happy with 12,xx when I got my unit, and it's even better now.

It's so damned close...who cares, talk about picking nits. Bottom line is, the tone is killer! Well done Cliff.

I'd love to have that preset??!? :)

Well, that doesn't really prove anything because you can probably hear at 16k if you have your headphones up loud enough. A real hearing test has an ever increasing volume at each pitch in a quiet room with standard headphones. This gives you a read on how much loss you have an at what frequency. It's interesting however to hear how the volume shifts up and down while it pans through the frequencies... indicating that I obviously have some loss in a few frequencies. I know for a fact that I have "mild hearing loss" above 8k as I had it tested a few years ago.
I agree about proof.. Only a audiologist can give you definitive proof, BUT I wonder, how many "heavy music"(read high DB's ) players here have EVER had a hearing test to see the damage?

I listened to the clips a few times...
I wasn't entirely sure if I was actually hearing a tiny difference, or if my stupid brain was telling my ears to expect to hear a difference..
after a few listens, my ears told my stupid brain to shut up and just listen..
my ears with my monitoring can't perceive any difference between the clips..

I've never had a problem getting controlled feedback through my wedge. Try flipping the phase of the output that's feeding your wedge.

nor me through my Marshalls or through my studio monitors..

that said, I do prefer feedback through the Marshalls to the monitors..
but I think that's more to do with the greater blast radius and quantities of collateral damage

to the "feddback prob OP" - maybe look into your input gate settings.. they may be a little on the strong side..

Anyone who's not a guitar player must think we are all idiots, focussing on whether there's a minor audible difference between those clips, preferring one to the other etc.

Nobody in the audience will the difference.
While most of the audience will hear it when the player hits just one wrong note.

Back
Top Bottom