Do You Hear a Difference

Do You Hear a Difference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To me it just sounds like one is very slightly louder than the other. All 4 are the same clip but second half is bumped 1db in the first clip, first half is bumped 1db in the second clip.

I think I hear a difference, but they both sound good. The second clip sounded more immediate and up close, whatever the hell that means. I don't have an opinion as to whether one is a real amp, axe fx, otherwise tonally manipulated, etc.

Haven't read what others responded yet, but to me the AxeFX is grainier but has more clarity, where as the real amp is fuller and smoother sounding, especially in the lows.

That said, if you hadn't specified which was which I would have never known.

First riff of the first mp3 sounds a little more compressed then the second. With that in mind the second part sounds also that it has a bit more bottom and attach.

I feel as if I can hear a bit of difference but I am not sure I could really express what it is. I kinda feel like I may just be hearing a difference because I was told there was one. That leaves me asking....Would I notice a difference if I hadn't been told there was one? Honestly?... I doubt that very much.

There is also (in addition to Sasha's observations) something about the second half of the first clip that makes it appear to be slightly louder and, as Sasha noted, less fizz or hiss (you can hear the hiss before the playing starts in the first half of the clip, but not at the start of the second half). :)

I could be hallucinating though. ;)

EDIT: just read the rest of the thread - yes, TAF IR is killer and signals good times ahead. :encouragement:

Looking forward to knowing which was the Triax and which was the AXE, and especially to learning more about the fizz/hiss source in the first half of clip 1 that appeared to be absent from the second half of clip 1 and why.

I know I'm just being nerdy - the fizz/hiss noise is microscopic in a sea of great tone - but this stuff and all of the nuances and artifacts just fascinates me to no end. :D

Last edited:
Haven't read what others responded yet, but to me the AxeFX is grainier but has more clarity, where as the real amp is fuller and smoother sounding, especially in the lows.

That said, if you hadn't specified which was which I would have never known.

I didn't specify which was which.

First clip: first amp has more top end 'spike'. Second is rounded with more low mid push. I preferred the second but I have no idea which is amp or AFX

It seems like an auditory illusion to me. When I listen to them consecutively the first clip sounds better to me; more clarity, more open, and less compressed then the second clip. However, if I jump back and forth to the same spot in each clip they sound the same to me. I believe it may be because the clips seem to end on higher frequencies than they start, so the beginning of the second clip appears to sound a little duller and more compressed when compared to the end of the first clip. But, when I jump back and forth to when they should be playing the same frequencies they sound the same to me.

In other news, you should feel very proud. This is the first post ever Cliff has clicked the "Like" button on. Lol

The input to the Triaxis is very high impedance (1M) like almost all tube amps. The input to the Axe-Fx has the same impedance.
Out of curiosity, Did you have the Axe-Fx Input impedance set to auto or 1M? or would it matter? seems to make a small difference to me, maybe as much as the difference in the clips?

Back
Top Bottom