Do You Hear a Difference

Do You Hear a Difference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How about hearing something similar in a mix with drums and bass? i'd be happy to donate a simple bass and drum track.

Initially I thought there was a difference where the first part was more aggressive. The more I went back and forth I could not tell the difference any more. The Axe is THE guitar tone for me. Thanks Cliff for a wonderful product, that keeps getting better.

So any differences in my phase cancelation clip could be due to some inherent tonal coloration imparted by the electronics in the Triaxis on the source material?

Using my ears, I still can't hear a difference.

I doubt you can line the phase up exactly. The exact phase would be a fraction of a sample period. AFAIK most (all?) DAWs only allow you to shift a waveform in integer sample increments.

Also the reverb is time-variant so it won't be the same in both clips.

What matters is your ears. If you can't hear a difference rejoice in that. I can't hear a difference. Maybe a tenth of a dB more bass in the second half of the first clip but I certainly don't hear any huge, OMG, the Axe-Fx FAILS! stuff that the "Questioning" thread would have you believe.

I mentioned this in the other thread: How much of a difference is there when plugging the guitar into the Axe-FX so that the looper could record it, feeding the result to the triaxis versus plugging straight into the triaxis?

I would assume the Axe-FX is the best buffer we're likely to encounter but it obviously isn't *exactly* the same as running straight to the triaxis. I doubt this could account for a major difference but mention it anyway.

I don't know any other way to do such a test without some kind of buffer- otherwise you'd have to play the guitar part identically multiple times. That's not really possible.

I'm satisfied with the output of the Axe-FX products for my own purposes. It often sounds better than a real amp to me in a lot of ways.

I say that we fly over to Finland and we all take turns kicking Clark in the balls for being a shit stirrer. Lets see if he has balls of steel to match the rest of him.

:D

J/K Clark

I mentioned this in the other thread: How much of a difference is there when plugging the guitar into the Axe-FX so that the looper could record it, feeding the result to the triaxis versus plugging straight into the triaxis?

I would assume the Axe-FX is the best buffer we're likely to encounter but it obviously isn't *exactly* the same as running straight to the triaxis. I doubt this could account for a major difference but mention it anyway.

I don't know any other way to do such a test without some kind of buffer- otherwise you'd have to play the guitar part identically multiple times. That's not really possible.

I'm satisfied with the output of the Axe-FX products for my own purposes. It often sounds better than a real amp to me in a lot of ways.

The input to the Triaxis is very high impedance (1M) like almost all tube amps. The input to the Axe-Fx has the same impedance.

I'd agree that the ONLY way you can tell any difference is with an A/B like this. They certainly are tonally equivalent.

In the first clip the first one seems to be ever so slightly more brilliant. Yet when they're reversed I don't hear it?!?

+1, all this talk about "real amps" prompted me to pull out some dusty gear: Rivera KR100 running through a vintage 4x12 cab, can't deny the in-the room aspect of this setup and the fact that it can push air, however, to me the Axe-Fx is so customizable that it's raise the bar, I can't replicate the smooth distortions with the KR! YMMV

I doubt you can line the phase up exactly. The exact phase would be a fraction of a sample period. AFAIK most (all?) DAWs only allow you to shift a waveform in integer sample increments.

Also the reverb is time-variant so it won't be the same in both clips.

What matters is your ears. If you can't hear a difference rejoice in that. I can't hear a difference. Maybe a tenth of a dB more bass in the second half of the first clip but I certainly don't hear any huge, OMG, the Axe-Fx FAILS! stuff that the "Questioning" thread would have you believe.

I agree, I got it as close as my eyes would allow to the peaks of the waveform when they were zoomed in, but that's obviously not a foolproof method. And yeah, I figured the reverb wouldn't be the same in either. Probably why you hear so much of it in that clip.

Thankfully, none of the drunk (or sober) people I'm playing for will ever hear any difference or even care. Neither will I, for that matter. It's not like I have a Triaxis sitting around. Or an HBE. Only thing that matters is the tone coming out of the speakers.

Theres a subtle difference.

First amp is probably real on first clip

Minute differences, but there is less immediate sound where I feel we are hearing the real amp.

I've always wondered about how we hear frequencies at different times. Curious if the AxeFx and IR Captures have taken this into account.

FWIW, the difference isn't big enough to notice in ANY music situation. Not to mention Neither clip sounded "Better" then the other. So I could even be wrong on which I think is the real amp.

Since I live in the low to medium gain and mild breakup area of guitar amps. I'd love to hear more of these comparisons in that field. IMO thats the hardest area to replicate since its so open and unforgiving. Simply as a study and for fun. The axefx is still currently as good as I feel is needed. but we all know Cliff is going to keep finding new tweaks:)

I just listened to the 2nd clip.[I guess same preset with ToneMatch].

If I wasn't told, that one of them an amp and one of them an axe-fx, I couldn't recognize them.

OK, with the clips reversed I still tend to like the first one better when listening consecutively for the same reasons. When listening to similar parts of each clip they sound the same to me. So, I'm chalking this one up to auditory illusion.

+1. In both cases the first one sounds "best". LOL. If you had told me it was one rig and it was all concatenated rather than separate distinct sub-clips, I NEVER would have even blinked or would it have crossed my mind that more than one unit was employed.

This'd pass any real double blind test with flying colors, IMHO.

When I listened to the second clip it sounded more buzzy like a chainsaw, oh wait the utility company is trimming all the tree branches away from the utility wires today right outside my house ;-)

The input to the Triaxis is very high impedance (1M) like almost all tube amps. The input to the Axe-Fx has the same impedance.

Are there any other aspects of the axe-fx interface that could in some cases present a difference from the real amp? The soft limiter?

I'm not saying the axe-fx input is bad- it clearly is fantastic. I'm just curious if that isn't an area where minor differences might occur if you're comparing to running straight into an amp. I don't know if Clark was doing that or not.

Totally fooled me until I went back and listened to the second clip (which was after I had already voted YES). Amazing. They sound identical.

Listening on ADAM A5X and BeyerD DT880 pro here.
I definitely here something different.
I immediately liked 2nd half of 1st Clip and 1st half of 2nd Clip.
On the first clip : 1st half has less upper mids, a bit more compressed feeling while 2nd half is crunchier and richier in the mids. Someone said more vintage feel, I agree.
I'm not biased at all, I've never played a real Triaxis even though it's one of my favorite model in the Axe.

general voicing sounds the same between the two. The 2nd of 1 and the 1st of 2 sounds brighter or more open. Not a lot of difference otherwise, but perceived brightness always changes what the ear focuses on. I've learned this very well from using this unit over the past couple of years.

If you look for the similarities you can hear how they sound alike, which I trust when hearing a difference between brighter and darker.

I'd be interested to hear what the 1st on 1 sounds like with a bit more top end added in. This would confirm my suspicions.

When I A/B just the first few notes of each recording, I definitely hear the difference I mentioned. If I listen all the way through my mind starts playing tricks.

Back
Top Bottom