Do You Hear a Difference

Do You Hear a Difference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the first clip, the first half of the clip seems to have a faster attack. Second half of the clip sags or doesn't have quite as fast an attack, rounds it off a bit.

God I hate trying to describe what I hear....

The first clip is Axe then amp. The second clip is amp then axe. Or maybe it's the other way 'round ;)

I think it's the other way round. The first part in the first clip sounds more dynamic and natural. The second seems to have less dynamic range with a slightly muddier low end. The first part also has better blended early reflections, which makes me think it's miked. If I'm wrong, then bravo! :)

I know that the question was if we hear a difference. I will check in the studio later , but can´t do it right now.
What if you put two rythm-guitars and a solo in a song and see how we experienced the mix ?
I find isolated tracks hard to value.

In the "Questioning" thread I posted the waveform of the Axe-Fx followed by the real amp. I then posted the clip for that waveform. Do you hear a difference?

http://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/triaxis_comp.mp3

Here's the same clip but with the parts reversed:

www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/triaxis_comp_reversed.mp3

I think it's the other way round. The first part in the first clip sounds more dynamic and natural. The second seems to have less dynamic range with a slightly muddier low end. The first part also has better blended early reflections, which makes me think it's miked. If I'm wrong, then bravo! :)

This is what I hear and my impression is as well. If the first part of clip 1 is the Axe, bravo. If it's the second part, bravo again however I do prefer part 1.

I'd be curious if they feel as similar "under the fingers".

Yes, I can hear differences. I really do not want to guess which part is what, I just like the second half of the first clip. The first part is somehow edgy, second part is more ear-friendly.

Last edited:
The second half of the first clip is crisper and clearer to my ears. Ten years ago, in the days of the Boss GT-8, I would have said this was due to odd number harmonics caused by transistorised clipping. With the sound clarity that has come with recent software released I would not know which is which. Whether I like it more of less depends on context. The crisper sound might stand out better in a mix, or it might grate on my ears.

The second half of the first clip is crisper and clearer to my ears. Ten years ago, in the days of the Boss GT-8, I would have said this was due to odd number harmonics caused by transistorised clipping. With the sound clarity that has come with recent software released I would not know which is which. Whether I like it more of less depends on context. The crisper sound might stand out better in a mix, or it might grate on my ears.

Yes context is very important, either sound could be the better one depending on context.

Funny, some people here say that clip# sounds better because its the Axe/Triaxis, but as far as I understand Cliff hasn't told us which is which yet!!?!?!!

I liked the first version of the first link (i.e. not reversed). I feel I can hear a difference but it is so subtle I'm not able to articulate what it is exactly that makes it better. I seems slightly more 3 dimensional but again very subtle.

Could even be all Triaxis or all Axe-fx....
As soon as you ask if people can hear a difference, a lot probably will.
It's the way our brain works. As soon as you get a piece of information, your brain processes it and clouds your judgement.
Audio Myths
But if you're totally honest, you shouldn't hear a difference.
And if you did, did you like both clips?
I did.
Both sounded great

So now, someone totally needs to make a clip of a wonderfully played guitar riff, through their Axe-Fx, then a second clip of them horribly vocalizing the same guitar riff through a mic into the same patch of the Axe-FX and ask if anyone can hear the difference! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like an auditory illusion to me. When I listen to them consecutively the first clip sounds better to me; more clarity, more open, and less compressed then the second clip. However, if I jump back and forth to the same spot in each clip they sound the same to me. I believe it may be because the clips seem to end on higher frequencies than they start, so the beginning of the second clip appears to sound a little duller and more compressed when compared to the end of the first clip. But, when I jump back and forth to when they should be playing the same frequencies they sound the same to me.
This best sums up my experience. There may be a small difference but maybe a slight turn of the knob could minimize that even further. Nothing to agonize over, at least for me.

Even here we're seeing split(ish) poll results and comments saying one likes the other more... sheesh, try to pick some definitive bones out of that!
laughing.gif

Tomato / Tomato

Why don't we just do an experiment like this: Post 10 samples. Use multiple different real Triaxises. Don't tell how many samples are one of those Triaxises and how many are the Axe-Fx. Now let's see who can tell which samples are from the real amp.

Could even be all Triaxis or all Axe-fx....
As soon as you ask if people can hear a difference, a lot probably will.
It's the way our brain works. As soon as you get a piece of information, your brain processes it and clouds your judgement.

It's true - the power of suggestion is tremendous. But, I've never seen even a hint of duplicity on Cliff's part, or even any kind of marketing hyperbole. So, the worst he could be accused of here is showing that there's no difference between the model and the real thing. I suspect that's the intent, and I believe he's made his point.

To me the first half of the first clip sounds a little crisper. Not better or worse, just something in the high end.

That being said, the difference is so minuscule it's not even worth discussion....

I hear a miniscule and quite frankly negligible difference. I've only listened to the second / reversed clip you posted and I have to say that I prefer the first part of that clip. Sounds a bit rawer and has a bit more teeth than the second part. I sincerely hope that the first part of the reversed clip is the Axe FX II even though you said that it's the real triaxis :D

Sorry, but whoever claims to hear a difference wants to hear it in my opinion. But assuming there is a difference, add drums, bass, vocals and whatever else you might have in your band and show me the difference again. As someone mentioned before, play guitar and have fun

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom