• No, I just have the FM3.

Votes: 66 42.0%
  • No, I just have the Axe-Fx III

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don't have either, but I'm lurking with intent to buy

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
People with FM3’s are actually gigging?
Hell yeah, we are! Got gig #3 with FM3 in 2 less than 3 weeks. I ported all my Axe III presets over, made a few more, figured out my MIDI configuration (since the FM3 lacks the Thru port), and I'm off to the races. Now, the III stays at home while the FM3 rehearses and gigs with me :)

(Unless you meant it in a COVID-related way, in which case, most of my gigs lately have been private parties of people who don't give tow s***s about COVID and the mask thing. I'm vaccinated - as a member of the armed forces - so I'm good lol. We've had just a couple public gigs in the last few months, but mostly private parties.)

I just have a FM3 I bought used. I ran the Axe-Fx 2 for years and never liked the rack format so the idea of an even larger rack unit does not appeal to me. I feel that the increasingly larger screens people like to have on these things do no favors for the rack form factor as how tall that ends up depends almost entirely on the screen size if you want to fit some controls below the display.

I would gladly take a no switch "brain" type desktop box of the Axe-Fx 3 or even the FM3. Or give me something that is just an I/O box with no screens and offer a separate controller with a screen and knobs.

Reactions: Ole
Not yet, but I'm on the waitlist for the FM3 and I will probably get it in July.

I'm already creating presets on my AxeFX3 for the FM3 and figuring out how I would use the three switches with stand-in switches and so on.
I plan to use the FM3 with two of my pedalboards directly into a SS-poweramp connected to a real cab at home and with FRFR monitors at rehearsal.

Not yet, but I'm on the waitlist for the FM3 and I will probably get it in July.

I'm already creating presets on my AxeFX3 for the FM3 and figuring out how I would use the three switches with stand-in switches and so on.
I plan to use the FM3 with two of my pedalboards directly into a SS-poweramp connected to a real cab at home and with FRFR monitors at rehearsal.
Might I suggest:
  • OnSong app for iPad
  • Bluetooth MIDI dongle

With these two things, my performing life has been streamlined and simplified. Now, I'll change songs on the iPad and it will automatically change presets, scenes, block bypass states, and even do parameter tweaks (particularly useful for the Virtual Capo when I need different tunings for different songs). I literally find that 3 foot switches is more than enough, especially since I started breaking out of my 'kitchen sink' preset and making presets for a lot of individual songs. Sometimes I can set it up so that ALL THREE switches do the same thing so I can be singing and not even have to aim at my FM3 to switch scenes. It's quite intuitive :)

Hell yeah, we are! Got gig #3 with FM3 in 2 less than 3 weeks. I ported all my Axe III presets over, made a few more, figured out my MIDI configuration (since the FM3 lacks the Thru port), and I'm off to the races. Now, the III stays at home while the FM3 rehearses and gigs with me :)

(Unless you meant it in a COVID-related way, in which case, most of my gigs lately have been private parties of people who don't give tow s***s about COVID and the mask thing. I'm vaccinated - as a member of the armed forces - so I'm good lol. We've had just a couple public gigs in the last few months, but mostly private parties.)

Thanks for your service, friend. :)

Veteran of the US Navy here. :)

I just traded for an FM3. I gig with my Axe III. The FM is for travel and hopefully for my Bass player to use...not sure I have him sold on it yet.

Just the Axe Fx III here, although “just” seems an understatement. I had it and the AX8 at one time, and eventually decided I just didn’t need a smaller option. Hence, I passed on the FM3 when my place on the wait list came up. I’m sure it is a great unit, as was the AX8, but the III covers all my bases, home plate, and the pitcher’s mound… no need for anything else in my situation.

I have both.

I was on the waitlist for the FM3 for over a year, and the AF3 was available and I'd just gotten a bonus, so I figured "What the heck" and ordered it to be permanently in my music room. Soon after my invitation for the FM3 arrived and I ordered it to be used when playing out. And, before I really got familiar with them or had a chance to gig with the FM3 the virus hit so I holed up in my cave to learn about them.

The AF3's capabilities are stunning, and the fact that presets usually move without trouble between the two is amazing. Hearing the FM3 cranking out the same sounds is... wow! Most people don't need both but the FM3 makes a great spare/backup, albeit with a little less power.

The AF3's capabilities are stunning, and the fact that presets usually move without trouble between the two is amazing. Hearing the FM3 cranking out the same sounds is... wow! Most people don't need both but the FM3 makes a great spare/backup, albeit with a little less power.
You ain't lying. Granted, I returned my first FM3 back in May of last year, but I bought it again about 5 weeks ago and, while I recently had some issues not getting the same tones from the FM3 as the Axe III (user error), I am amazed that the FM3 only costs what it does. With the exception of some features and reduced power, it really is an Axe Fx III in a floor unit for just over half the cost of the Helix, QC, or Kemper Stage. It's phenomenal. Even though I tell myself the FM3 is for rehearsals and gigs and the Axe III is for home, really, I have both plugged in and turned on side by side :)

Yes I own both platforms and love the current versions! Used to have a II and AX8 but was frustrated that they didn’t sound the same. With the latest firmware I can go back and forth between units and not skip a beat. The rack stays in my studio and the FM3 with FC6 are for live shows. Never been happier with my Fractal gear!

Might I suggest:
  • OnSong app for iPad
  • Bluetooth MIDI dongle

With these two things, my performing life has been streamlined and simplified. Now, I'll change songs on the iPad and it will automatically change presets, scenes, block bypass states, and even do parameter tweaks (particularly useful for the Virtual Capo when I need different tunings for different songs). I literally find that 3 foot switches is more than enough, especially since I started breaking out of my 'kitchen sink' preset and making presets for a lot of individual songs. Sometimes I can set it up so that ALL THREE switches do the same thing so I can be singing and not even have to aim at my FM3 to switch scenes. It's quite intuitive :)

I do not really perform live, so I don't need so much extra stuff.
I already bought two dual switches. One switches between views 1&2 and selects view 3. The second one is for control switches (pitch and delay, reverb hold and so on).
Some screen protectors would be nice too ... but being based in europe, they're not that cheap including shipping and import taxes.

It looks like I'm getting my FM3 next week and I'm somehow even more excited as with the order of the Axe FX3.

Did 20 years AF here. Retired in ‘09 (damn I’m old).

I had a II XL+ and found I really don’t like rack gear for my home setup/aesthetics. I sold it planning to get an AX8. Before I could pull the trigger on the AX8 the III was announced. I figured I’d hold off until whatever the new floor modeler was came out. That turned out to be the FM3.

I love the FM3 but really want the full power of the III. I’m hoping Fractal can find a way to produce a full power floor version someday.

I still love my tube amps as well, so I like to run my FM3 through the tube amps’ returns to get the best of both worlds. :)

Back
Top Bottom