Do You Guys Mostly Use 3rd Party IRs or Are You Happy with Factory Cabs/IRs?

Mikko's tool is great, as I can whip up a sound in a minute, as I know where to drag which virtual mics to get what I want. The cab selection is small, and focused on metal, though, so it is, ultimately of limited utility to me. I guess that those cabs are Oscar Meier weiners, which I don't particularly care for, even with mustard instead of mayo. If Mikko would add some Hebrew Nationals and Nathan's dirty water dogs....
Sounds like feedback for @ML SOUND LAB then.

Sounds like feedback for @ML SOUND LAB then.
If he's watching, yes, that would be my feedback for him.

However, that does not invalidate the request for metainfo - it reinforces it. The metainfo is just presented graphically. Mikko is the gold standard for ease of use and it can even teach less sophisticated users how mic position affects sound if they play with it enough and pay attention. If there were more cabs to cover more vintage sounds, and more than one "Fender Combo", it'd kick everyone else's IR collections square in the keister. With that having not yet manifested, the request for consistent metainfo about mic and position, or at least, some solid general info about what the letters A B C D E F G H indicate, rather than having to guess, stands, and it would be a time saver.

Ultimately, it's about using info to reduce wasted time listening to mayonnaise.

Sifting through 5000 IRs via listening to each? Testify, Sweet Brown!

I'm here like.. once a month maybe? :) Not sure where the "focused on metal" regarding MIKKO comes from but I hear it every now and then. I always thought it was pretty well balanced with a FNDR combo, Sure 2x12, Zila 2x12, vintage british cabs etc. :) Either way I personally don't believe in genre specific IR's at this point but that's kind of subjective - I think the Mega Old in Essentials will cover any genre thrown at it but because people see Mega they think metal. I definitely intend to cover more ground in future!

I'm here like.. once a month maybe? :) Not sure where the "focused on metal" regarding MIKKO comes from but I hear it every now and then. I always thought it was pretty well balanced with a FNDR combo, Sure 2x12, Zila 2x12, vintage british cabs etc. :) Either way I personally don't believe in genre specific IR's at this point but that's kind of subjective - I think the Mega Old in Essentials will cover any genre thrown at it but because people see Mega they think metal. I definitely intend to cover more ground in future!
Not saying your cabs don't sound good, but the majority are 4x12s, with a bit of a hard-rock/metal focus. The "Fender Combo" doesn't mention what speaker config it carries. Is it a 1x10? A 1x12? A 2x12? A 4x10? A 1x15?

Looking forward to more choices in the cab library! The Mikko interface rocks. All the 'metainfo' of mic choice and position is very intuitively covered in a stone simple UI interface. If the industry of cabinet IRs was to pick a standard way of doing things, your interface is the example of how it should be done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom