Do you guys do any nudging of the track after reamping?

guittarzzan

Inspired
Just curious if any of you have to nudge your audio regions after reamping to get them exactly in time with the original? I have done some reamping and am trying figure out how many ms of delay there is by the time it goes out of Pro Tools d/a to Axefx to mic pre and back into PT a/d. I've tried zooming in, but because of the difference between direct/dry and the processed signals, I'm having a hard time figuring out which one should line up with which one. At 48k, the playback engine in PT is at 128ms of delay, but, sadly, I don't even know if that means there's at least 128ms of delay on the reamped track or if I'm just hearing it's playback 128ms later.
I feel like a squirrel on crack trying to make sense of this. I also realize we're talking about small differences in timing, but I want it to match the original because it can throw off the feel of the song just a hair sometimes.

Anyone with some experience have some good info on this?

thanks,
Steve

You could shoot a very clear and visible short testsignal through your re-amping chain which sits exactly on the 1 of a bar, record that through your chain and then look at the zoomed in file, best set to ms or samples (I do that in Nuendo quite often) and then you see your exact delay. It's just easier with a test click on the one, rather than with a recorded guitar file. Once you've done your measurements, re-amp your guitar parts and move these newly recorded ones by the exact amount you worked out with the test signal.

wavelab for example lets you draw a wav file. Just draw a simple 'square' which should sound just like a digital click and use that for latency tests.

Back
Top Bottom