Do the pros use tone match

I believe it is fairly common especially when they are trying to recreate older recorded tones for live use

Stephen Carpenter (Deftones) used it to match some tones from around the fur (1997) with great results according to a video he did a while back. I think it was using the Axe Fx II if memory serves

I started using Fractal with Paramore during the Self-Titled tour cycle and made some Tone Matches from the isolated guitar tracks taken directly from the album sessions. We were amazed by the accuracy when A/B’ing the album track vs the Tone Match. But when it came time to rehearse, the band actually preferred the tones I built from scratch over the accurate Tone Matches, so I never ended up using them.

All that to say, Tone Matches can be accurate, but they don’t always sound/work better than just dialing in an amp model to fit the mix.

The only time I use Tone Match these days is when I’m wanting to match an amp to a model. I use the Tone Match graph to make adjustments to the model’s settings until the “correction” line is as flat as possible. Most of the time I can get there just by tweaking the model’s basic controls and occasionally breathing on a couple faders in the amp’s GEQ section if I wanna get nerdy with it. When the line is flat, I bypass the Tone Match block and I’ve got an authentic recreation of the real thing without needing any extra EQ or CPU.

I started using Fractal with Paramore during the Self-Titled tour cycle and made some Tone Matches from the isolated guitar tracks taken directly from the album sessions. We were amazed by the accuracy when A/B’ing the album track vs the Tone Match. But when it came time to rehearse, the band actually preferred the tones I built from scratch over the accurate Tone Matches, so I never ended up using them.

All that to say, Tone Matches can be accurate, but they don’t always sound/work better than just dialing in an amp model to fit the mix.

The only time I use Tone Match these days is when I’m wanting to match an amp to a model. I use the Tone Match graph to make adjustments to the model’s settings until the “correction” line is as flat as possible. Most of the time I can get there just by tweaking the model’s basic controls and occasionally breathing on a couple faders in the amp’s GEQ section if I wanna get nerdy with it. When the line is flat, I bypass the Tone Match block and I’ve got an authentic recreation of the real thing without needing any extra EQ or CPU.
Wow thanks I’m going to try that with my be 50 when I get back home

I’ve had my AF3 for almost a year and I haven’t bothered with Tone Match because I’m so happy with all the tones I go for. So I didn’t realize you could do this. I’ll be checking this out for sure. Thanks for the tip.

This makes a LOT of sense… and it’s coming from who, IMO makes the best IRs.

Rush was using tonematch for acoustic too.
Yes, using the piezo pickup and tone match for acoustic guitar sounds while playing an electric (Les Paul, if I remember correctly). I believe Alex Lifeson said it was the best live acoustic sound they had ever achieved.

I chatted with one of the Ghost guitarists a few years back when they started using the III's I think. He told me that he uses the Friedman models for the most part for live sound.

Back
Top Bottom