Do the 6.0 factory presets sound bad to anyone else?

shemihazazel

Fractal Fanatic
My own presets sound fine after I tweaked them a tad. The factory presets are unusable for the most part, with a huge amount of high-end harshness. It's not a big deal because I never really use them. I'm just curious if anyone else encountered the same thing.

It depends on your system. If you have something that's close to the original setup Fractal used to tweak them then they sound fine.
It's like downloading another users preset. They very rarely sound great without adjusting them to your system.

Yeah, I've got the updated presets loaded. And yeah, I know that tweaking is always required, but the factory presets have just never sounded so "off" before. I dunno. I'm just a little paranoid with some users reporting harsh highs and boomy low end in 6.0, and then having it go away when they load 6.0 again. That of course doesn't explain why my own presets sound great. *takes chill pill*

- Try reloading the firmware and factory presets.
- Try a system reset.

Lots of people here appear to have this problem (myself included). I did a system reset, uploaded the new presets, doesn't matter. Tonight I'm going to try again with the newer version of Axe-Edit since I did this all with the old one.

My own presets sound fine after I tweaked them a tad. The factory presets are unusable for the most part, with a huge amount of high-end harshness. It's not a big deal because I never really use them. I'm just curious if anyone else encountered the same thing.

They sound fine here, the best sounding AXE II factory presets ever on my opinion.

They sound fine here, the best sounding AXE II factory presets ever on my opinion.
Yeah, its by a pretty large margin as well for me.

But that could be part of just personal taste because I never cared for the stock ones that much before. What I didn't like could be exactly what someone else loved about them.

"Lots of people" is somewhat presumptuous IMHO. "Some people" perhaps, but the general consensus is that they sound anything but harsh.

IMHO, something is set wrong somewhere if that's the case.

They are not all to my taste/preference, but I would not characterize them in general as 'harsh' in any way. IMHO, that's a signal something is set wrong globally somewhere in the rig - either in the Axe-FX or outside of it.

I had whatever was before V5.07 when I got mine, and I didn't care for the factory presets much, except for maybe 1-2. 6.0, to my ear, has improved in sound and feel on virtually every stock preset. In particular, I don't feel like I have to dial out icepick in the forehead trebles. I'm betting it isn't operating as intended for you, or else you'd be happier.

The output of factory presets are too high and get over-driven easily for me. I don't really care since I can just lower the level on one of the blocks.
Maybe that's what other people experience as well.

I have no way to prove this, but I think that for some people, the settings are not resetting or being copied over correctly. There are just too many people who love the way the new presets sound. When I say they are off, I mean they are WAY off. There is no way the presets I am hearing are ones that people like.

I feel like there is some global setting that maybe is not getting reset even when I do the system reset. Hopefully updating with the latest Axe-Edit fixes it for me.

Love the basic stock amp presets to be honest.
I do tweak the amps that I use a bit- but great out of the box more than ever before IMHO.

My personal experience, the last version of FW 4 was best of 4, last of FW 5 was best of 5... we know 6 is going to get a few more tweaks. It did just come out.

To reiterate, my personal presets sound great, the best they ever have. Just for grins, I'll try re-flashing the firmware tonight after a system reset.

Not excessively harsh for me either.

I upgraded in the following order:

1. Uninstalled AxeEdit and deleted the old AxeEdit workspace folder.
2. Installed AxeEdit 299
3. Used AxeEdit 299 over USB to update the AxeFx II firmware from 5.07 to 6.00.
4. Did a factory reset from the front panel AxeFx II.
5. Used AxeEdit 299 to push V6 Banks A, B, C to the AxeFx II.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom