Do not trust Windows Defender !!! What Windows Anti-Virus are you using?

Piing

Axe-Master
I read somewhere that Windows Defender covered all threats for Windows 10, so I decided not to use other antivirus. Besides Windows Defender, I only had installed Malwarebytes free version.

Few days ago my Mozilla Firefox started to slow down and showing "Program not Responding". I tried all the tips for restoring it, but it didn't help much. As time passed by, other programs started to slow down and not respond. Even File Manager was collapsing the computer.

I tried many things without success, until I decided to install Kaspersky anti-virus 30 day evaluation.

It found several threats labeled as HEUR:Trojan-Dropper.Script.Generic and UDS: DangerousObject.Multi.Generic. All them under \Users\AppData\Local\Temp. I let Kaspersky delete the files, and now the computer is fast again.

Heur trojan-dropper.script.generic is a Trojan infection that can decrease overall PC performance and drop malevolent files on the affected computer system. Heur trojan-dropper.script.generic enables cybercriminals to obtain full remote access and control over the corrupted PC.

What Anti-Virus for Windows are you using? I have to choose one before the 30 day period expires

So far, Kaspersky doesn't seem to create any problem with my DAW (Cakewalk by BandLab), so it seems like a good option. Before Windows 10 I used Norton, but I think that it consumes a lot of resources

Last edited:
My general recommendations for something more than WinDefender are Kaspersky or BitDefender. Some people I've talked to have a problem with Kaspersky's country of origin, but I have no opinion on that.

None of them are perfect. It takes time to find the signature of new exploits and code then into updates.

I haven't used anti-virus software in over ten years. I got super annoyed by the extra notifications, and background processes. Back then the software itself would slow your computer down. Frankly, it felt like having a virus installed, so I just opted to risk it and do a fresh Windows install if things went south.

These days I usually just know what to and not to click on. I've never once had a virus on any of my Macs, and it's been many years since I got one on Windows.

Fun story: the last time I had anti-virus was back in the Limewire days. I remember carelessly hunting for software on Limewire like "hmm, this file looks a bit small to be what I'm looking for..." Downloaded it anyway. *virus warning pop-up* Dang it. Delete it and try the next one. lol

Last edited:
not running AV with local FW is not a good idea. It can be bypassed but it does provide a level of protection. it's all about layering protection. Don't use anything free. Windows defender is not great and Kaspersky has been used by Russian APT to identify and steal data. Stick with McAfee or Symantec IMO. You don't have to be an active participant to have your computer compromised. Lateral movement happens after one machine in your network gets compromised. You update your software right? Most auto update. Many applications have had their update service compromised and malware dowloaded to end users.

Do you keep your computer up-to-date and have the latest Windows Defender virus definitions? At least one of the items you posted should have been picked up by Windows Defender according to their list. I have a feeling the updates are possibly lagging.

There are many ways your machine can get compromised. I'd definitely switch to OpenDNS for name resolution since they do a great job blocking phishing sites amongst other things.

Reactions: MSS
I'm on Linux, but also have a Windows machine (just in case). I want to recommend not to use any of both the free and paid anti virus security holes. Why?
Those are just some examples. The whole anti virus industry is a mafia-like structure in my opinion.
None.

What are you doing that you find you need this? With a machine behind a stateful firewall, not downloading things, running Chrome, what risks are there for modern, Windows machines now?
A stateful firewall is a really good idea! One can argue about Chrome, but if you use your computer with your brain and not e.g. with your dick without any kind of anti virus, you're better off plus a performance benefit. Anti viruses give you a false sense of security. Always dangerous!

A stateful firewall is a really good idea! One can argue about Chrome, but if you use your computer with your brain and not e.g. with your dick without any kind of anti virus, you're better off plus a performance benefit. Anti viruses give you a false sense of security. Always dangerous!
Chrome and Firefox sandbox every tab now. There's tremendous isolation happening in your browsers these days. And even Windows seems to have closed privledge escalation loopholes with destructive actions requiring you to enter your password to elevate to adminstrator privledges.

I'm quite serious: what does AV software do other than get in the way on a modern OS? If you're not exposing your machine to the open internet and only outbound connections allow inbound responses, where's the danger? Presumably people are running less-than-honest software if they feel they're at risk from something nefarious coming in on an application?

My main anti-virus program is Panda. I also have Cybereason running to detect ransomware. And I have Malwarebytes to check individual files or a full scan if I'm concerned about something in particular. And yes, there are times when Panda is using too much CPU; but I'm fairly happy with it. I installed Panda a few years ago after McAfee was a bit too problematic.

Tested a lot of antiviruses, i'm sticking to nod32 for many years as it doesn't slow down the computer , doesn't make false-positives and is pretty cheap

Really avoid Norton, Avast and Bitdefender (the worst of all, even blocks debugging sessions in visual studio , so false positives come every 5 minutes, and makes your computer slow as hell)

There isn't any anti-virus software that catches all threats. Windows Defender works better than most, and has the lowest footprint. Some of them are worse than the malware you're trying to keep off your machine.

Best thing you can do is run Firefox, load it up with some addons, and try not to go to questionable websites. Also helps to use web based email, so people aren't sneaking stuff past your email software either.

Most recently, I had a family sub to Kaspersky. We ditched it wholesale after multiple problems with it on different Windows computers. In the past, we've used McAfee and Symantec and gave up on those as well after numerous and varied complications. We now rely on Windows built in defenses and trained user (offspring) behavior - don't download sketchy stuff from sketchy sites and don't open attachments, particularly from your luddite grandparents. This method has been the most successful and headache free by far.

I have Norton on my Windows machines. Nothing’s perfect, but it doesn’t get in the way and I’ve had no issues. The antivirus debate is like talking flu shots... you’re never going to convince someone on the other side.

I have used Bit Defender Total Security for many, many years. No performance hit and I have never, ever had a virus or malware since the 90's. Well known tip here: You can exclude scans on access with "most" Security software these days. But only on "access", not on "demand". That goes a long way in preventing any performance hit.
I also shop around and always find Bit Defender for "cheap"

I had my Windows 10, Windows Defender and Malwarebytes fully updated. Yet, they didn't detect the threat during two weeks, while the PC was getting slower and unresponsive every day, until I decided to install Kaspersky.

I suspect that it came while downloading a free MIDI file or a TAB for Guitar Pro. I recall that I was bombarded with pop-up ads, even though I am using Adblock Plus on Firefox.

Those of you who rely only on Windows Defender only, like I did, how do you know that you don't have a trojan in your backyard?

Honestly, even the best malware software can detect about a third of what's out there. If your machine gets rooted, it may be impossible to detect it. So really, you can always have something on your machine you don't know about. The only 100% way to know your machine is clean is a format and fresh install of Windows, or whatever OS you're running.

Back
Top Bottom