Do most people record direct from USB from the Axe-Fx, or do you use an audio interface between?

I think it is more of a workflow thing. Nothing wrong with either approach. I happen to have a large analog console interfaced to an Orion32 that I use for all my studio work (full bands, drums, keys, vocals, etc), and for me it much easier to just take the outputs from the FX-III and connect them to a channel on my console.

There is probably a tiny difference in audio quality between the two that you would never notice in the mix (and who knows which would be "better"), but one method vs the other might be more efficient for you. Use what works and doesn't slow you down when the creative juices are flowing.

I don’t have as many processing power nor ports, but I have macOS. Which is the only reason I buy Macs.
Same goes for iPhone; there are many other phones with better cameras, more storage, etc. They don’t run iOS and that makes them useless to me 🙂
I guess I am the odd duck that likes OSX and Android, and can't stand iOS....

There is probably a tiny difference in audio quality between the two that you would never notice in the mix (and who knows which would be "better"), but one method vs the other might be more efficient for you. Use what works and doesn't slow you down when the creative juices are flowing.

Exactly! Is there a noticeable difference between recording from your Axe output in your external interface and recording via the Axe USB?

I don’t have as many processing power nor ports, but I have macOS. Which is the only reason I buy Macs.
Same goes for iPhone; there are many other phones with better cameras, more storage, etc. They don’t run iOS and that makes them useless to me 🙂
This has merit. Some are willing to pay to a point to use OS X. I am too. Just not triple which is what it came down to in my case. Personally, I can tolerate an awful lot for 6k bucks.

Hi all,
I'm a guitar noob but an IT pro guy, IMHO the right platform must be chosen on your requirements needs.
Let's say I have backing tracks, and I want to record through reaper my guitar, in the end with little to no post processing.
In this case I have really few requirements, a cheap PC/Mac with SSD and at least 8 Gigs of RAM USB3 is more than enough, even with an old I5 CPU.
Most of the job is offloaded from the pc so you really don't need a powerful workstation.
This is wonderful if you think that even If the Axefx III is expensive, you can save on PC/DAW, and this is an added value to the unit, that perform like an high end USB interface device.
If you have to add a lot of post processing/plugins heavy software for your DAW then the situation change, but from a beginner (non pro) perspective do the right evaluation on how use your budget

I use the Axe III as audio interface, guitars and bass directly into Input 1 to DAW via USB, vocal mic (LDC) via dedicated rack preamp into Input 2 on rear. Works great.

I use an interface (motu m2) that also outputs my sound from my pc. It's easier to just plug into the motu and record. I'll bet dollars to donuts that nobody can hear a difference between a good interface and usb at the end of the day in a mix. Splitting hairs that nobody cares about, stop overthinking and just make music.

It's all about what works for you.

I run modelers through a UA Apollo Twin, into the Mac. Sounds great, but after seeing the praise here for USB I may have to try that

Last edited:
For the first time in my recording hobby (not much of a career), I will definitely try going direct. Even if you have the awesomest DA/AD converters in the world, it might make a smidge difference to keep it all digital. Wow, that sounds like heresy coming from a former dyed in the wool tube amp guy.

I use an interface (motu m2) that also outputs my sound from my pc. It's easier to just plug into the motu and record. I'll bet dollars to donuts that nobody can hear a difference between a good interface and usb at the end of the day in a mix. Splitting hairs that nobody cares about, stop overthinking and just make music.

It's all about what works for you.

That’s what I think too. But still I want to know if there is a noticeable difference. I have to try USB for myself. But I like the simplicity of just pluging it in my sound card.

Back
Top Bottom