Do most people not use proximity anymore?

Hansen

Experienced
There are so many updates and changes on the Axe products that it is hard to keep track of everything. I have had the same presets for a while. I trying out different cab settings and noticed that when I turned off the proximity in the cabs, a lot of "hum" disappeared. Am I correct that it is most common to turn this off now, and rather add some extra bass in the amp section?

I always found it to be a little to woolly if you use to high of a setting, haven't noticed any hum issues.

Proximity to me is only useful for dealing with deficiencies in the selected IR, so I usually just find a different IR. On the Axe-Fx II, it made more sense to use Proximity with neutral IRs that don’t have a mic baked in, and using the mic sims. But those are rare these days.

funny i was thinking to open a thread about the proximity in the cabs,2 days ago i was playing with a presets that sound a bid bad,i turn on the proximity and voIla is was like magic.im going to try the proximity on some of my presets.

about the hum,i just found the hum disappeared when i turn off the driver on some of my presets.

I must be an odd duck because I use the Proximity parameter in all of my presets. I set it between 50-60 Hz and level @ 5. Using these settings adds the fullness I want, more than just adding bass. Anything over 100 Hz I'll agree is too much, it does tend to make things flubby. The default setting almost made me ignore it completely.

I often use the Null option, and set Proximity somewhere between 3 and 4 or so. My ear likes what it does... but would be curious to know exactly what sort of EQ that's equivalent to.

I often use the Null option, and set Proximity somewhere between 3 and 4 or so. My ear likes what it does... but would be curious to know exactly what sort of EQ that's equivalent to.
Boosts the frequency of whatever you have set for Proximity Frequency.

Proximity shouldn’t create any buzz or hum. It increases low frequency. As many say, cut lows pre amp, boost them (if you want) post amp. The proximity is a nice quick way to do just that.

For you guys who are setting Proximity and adding low end energy, where are you (or your engineer) setting the high pass? I realize every genre is different, but bass guitar and synth bass sure take up enough energy in the mixes I work with that guitars almost always get a high pass filter.

The proximity is a nice quick way to do just that.

Yes, it is. At least, for me.

However, I get the feeling that there's more to the proximity parameter than just a peaking (or shelving?) EQ boost at 130Hz... which is where I tend to have my proximity set to.
That said, I generally use the proximity on fairly bright cabs, and often lower the low res parameter a good bit in the amp block as well. Perhaps those 2 things cancel each other's effect out somewhat?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom