Do I use instrument cables or speaker cables?

Bushy

Inspired
I'm using the Boss SY-300 guitar synth pedal into the Electro-Voice ZLX-12P powered PA speakers. I was a bit confused if I should use speaker cables or instrument cables.

Do I connect the outs of the pedal directly into each of the PA speakers or is it better to chain the PA speakers and simply connect to just one?

Instrument cables.

Speaker cables are only used between power amps and speakers.

On a powered speaker, you’re plugging into a mini-mixer on that speaker.

Do I connect the outs of the pedal directly into each of the PA speakers or is it better to chain the PA speakers and simply connect to just one?
If the output of your pedal is stereo then you probably want to send Left output to one speaker and Right output to the other.

I see. There's a L and R main outputs on the pedal and a L and R sub outputs as well (the latter I'm not sure if it's for subwoofer speakers or any speakers could work as "sub mix" speakers, which I would assume could be the stage monitors?). Could I use passive speakers (using an amp of course), as the sub out speakers, while using active speakers as the main output speakers, at the same time?

I'm actually trying to find out if the Boss SY-300 has an internal amp to power a passive speaker...

I was a bit confused regarding speaker cables vs. instrument cables. My bass amp and bass cab uses a speakon cable. So passive pa speakers work the same way in that it requires an amp and speaker cables are what's used to make them work together. Now I get it. Does it matter if I use a 25 ft. speaker cable vs. a 3 ft. speaker cable? I would think that any length could work as long as the speakers are apart from each other (far left and far right).

If the output of your pedal is stereo then you probably want to send Left output to one speaker and Right output to the other.

I see. There's a L and R main outputs on the pedal and a L and R sub outputs as well (the latter I'm not sure if it's for subwoofer speakers or any speakers could work as "sub mix" speakers, which I would assume could be the stage monitors?). Could I use passive speakers (using an amp of course), as the sub out speakers, while using active speakers as the main output speakers, at the same time?

I'm actually trying to find out if the Boss SY-300 has an internal amp to power a passive speaker...

I was a bit confused regarding speaker cables vs. instrument cables. My bass amp and bass cab uses a speakon cable. So passive pa speakers work the same way in that it requires an amp and speaker cables are what's used to make them work together. Now I get it. Does it matter if I use a 25 ft. speaker cable vs. a 3 ft. speaker cable? I would think that any length could work as long as the speakers are apart from each other (far left and far right).
Most of what you are asking is specific to the SY-300... You should probably check the manual for that or ask questions on a site related to that product.

I seriously doubt it has an amp...

A speakon cable is a speaker cable with a specific connector. Similarly there are cables with 1/4" phono plugs and others with "banana" plugs.

The wiring inside the cable is different for speaker vs instrument cables.

So technically I have 4 speaker outputs then? I guess if the pedal allowed it, I could route a different effect patch to go into the sub out speakers and another effect patch into the main output speakers? Ever tried this?

“Sub” put on Roland gear is usually just an additional out. Not for sub woofers.

BTW, any idea if there's a guitar head/cab that uses speakon cables? I don't believe I've seen one, not sure why a bass guitar head/cab is on board with speakon cables but never seen one regarding guitar head/cab.

Most of what you are asking is specific to the SY-300... You should probably check the manual for that or ask questions on a site related to that product.

I seriously doubt it has an amp...

A speakon cable is a speaker cable with a specific connector. Similarly there are cables with 1/4" phono plugs and others with "banana" plugs.

The wiring inside the cable is different for speaker vs instrument cables.

BTW, any idea if there's a guitar head/cab that uses speakon cables? I don't believe I've seen one, not sure why a bass guitar head/cab is on board with speakon cables but never seen one regarding guitar head/cab.
I was completely unaware of Speakon cables until I started using FRFR gear.

The PA equipment that I was using up to that point was only using 1/4" speaker cables.

I've never seen any guitar or bass amp/cab that uses them.

bass amps tend to use Speakon for a while, but 1/4" speaker cables are the standard for instrument amplification.

bass amps tend to use Speakon for a while, but 1/4" speaker cables are the standard for instrument amplification.
Yeah, Speakon connectors aren't unheard of in bass amps. I've never seen one on a guitar amp, though.

My peavey minimax bass amp uses speakon with the GK NEO 212 cab.

I was completely unaware of Speakon cables until I started using FRFR gear.

The PA equipment that I was using up to that point was only using 1/4" speaker cables.

I've never seen any guitar or bass amp/cab that uses them.

Great Piece of kit the SY-300.

Shame the Axe fx 3 Synth Block doesn't have similar capability as it can only deal Monophonically, I hope the Fractal guys improve it.

Back
Top Bottom