Do I really need one?

Qrious

If I'm just looking for a foot controller to switch between patches and scenes, do I really need the more expensive MFC101?

Would the rather popular, much less expensive, Behringer controller suffice?

I'm not knocking the MFC....just curious.

Last edited:
What’s needed or not very much comes down to personal preference. To change presets you need a midi controller that can sent PC (Program Change) messages, any midi controller will do that. To change Scenes you need to send CC#34 with a value of 0-7 for Scene 1-8. As long as you can program the controller to send CC commands, it will change scenes for you.

If you search the forum you’ll see plenty of people using the Behringer controller with tips how to set that up.

There's a few threads here about the FCB1010, but yes it is a very capable controller for an extremely modest price. If you don't need all the features of the MFC101, the Behringer can be a surprisingly good alternative. It does take a bit of time and work to program though, so if you want something that's plug and play save up for the MFC101.

Thanks for the input. Now that I think about it, I received info from the Eprom support staff stating that there are certain preset access limitations with the Behringer/Eprom combo. I'll have to re-read that email.

The FCB1010 is like a Line 6 Pod HD. Value for the money. Would you play a POD HD, after experienced the Axe-Fx?

The experience with the MC is similiar. If you CAN (financial wise) go for MFC! You`ll find all over the net people sayin ... "...uhh, if i had knew this before ... i had sell my FCB and go with the MFC much earlier...".

Also, if you not "advantage-MIDI-experienced" (and i am!) this is one more reason for the MFC!

And the bidirectional Axe-Fx Mode is the only reason you need, to bring love (and your money) for the MFC...

Some guys just want patch changes, some want less patch changes, and direct access to individual effects.. all in how you want to do it. I don't have and mfc, but have a liquidfoot pro and I like the direct access to individual effects, scenes etc, so more buttons the better. MFC also gives you pretty much plug and play, everything else will require programming, sometimes very frustrating.

Yes, it really depends on what functions you would like to have from your pedal, and if you really need all of the advanced control features of the MFC101, which is a great companion pedal to the AxeFx. The MFC gives you the ability to program just about everything under the sun, and get up and running quickly. OTOH, I've been using a stock Behringer FCB1010 exclusively with the AxeFx (Ultra and II), but I'm no stranger to MIDI spec and long ago digested the "method to the madness" WRT the FCB1010 programming. It is a bit cryptic IMHO. If you're a MIDI newbie, then if you get the FCB1010, it might be in your best interest to get one of the 3rd party Eprom chips. Just keep in mind that they alter the standard operation of the FCB1010 in very unique ways, so you really need to figure out exactly how you need to used the pedal before committing one way or the other, stock vs. eprom change.

As mentioned, you can get the FCB1010 for a very reasonable price, and it has enough function to a lot of advanced things if you want to go there. If you're gigging a lot, it affords you the ability to buy a backup unit also. It's not in the league of some of the bigger players like the MFC101 or Liquid Foot, but with a stock FCB1010 you can get a layout such as:

bottom row = 5 scenes/stomps; top row = 4 preset changes + 1 tap tempo; wah expression and volume expression pedals; all of that x 10 banks (using bank up/down switches) - or something like that layout. The layout I describe gives you the ability to program up to 200 unique sound changes (4 presets x 5 scenes/preset = 20 sounds/bank x 10 banks = 200).

The major down side is that the red LED switch lights will not give you all of the feedback that reflect what is happening on the AxeFx (for example, if you're using presets on top row, and stomp box on/off on the bottom row, only one red LED button will illuminate at a time, so it follows the last button pressed. If you have complex stomp box layouts, it can get confusing to know what is on or off.). But if you create a "system" that is standard across the pedal board, it's not terribly difficult to remember what is what, especially if you use scenes instead of stomps for sound changes within a preset.

So, MFC101 = expensive, designed to work out of the box with the AxeFx; FCB1010 = bang for buck, but you need to spend time programming the unit.

JMHO

Before purchasing an MFC-101 I used another MIDI Controller that I had from a previous product, a controller that I knew well. For what it's worth, I found the MFC-101 well worth the incremental cost (I sold my old controller for $340). I was able to make my life a lot easier in Live performances. It just depends what you need.

I tried the FCB1010 when the MFC was not readily available, I found it frustrating and gave up.

Sure, lots of reasons to not like the FCB1010, and user-friendliness is top of the list. Once you've digested the mystery of programming, I personally have found it to be pretty straightforward. Am I in love with the FCB1010? No. But I don't have a problem with it either. "It is what it is." I'm sure that I'm a minority in that respect, though it seems there are plenty of FCB1010 users out there.

Yeah for $150 new, it's hard to complain that much. MFC is $600 more plus you'd have to buy separate expression pedals. For that amount of money it better be far superior.

It really comes down to personal taste. If you found the programming of the fcb1010 frustrating or difficult you will be 10x lost with the MFC.... unless you use axe fx mode, but then you are limited to what it offers which is only a small portion of what the MFC can actually be configured to do.

I own 2 fcb1010 one we use to trigger our LED light rig, the other is in my backup guitar pedalboard. Flawless usage for nearly 10 years and one we use for light has had entire drinks dumped on it.

Back
Top Bottom