Do I need to run my FM3 through a DI box?

I've had a look at the easiest ways to plug my FM3 straight into a speaker (PA). Does the FM3 automatically output a microphone signal or does it need to run through a DI box to turn the signal into a mic signal. I'm just looking for the easiest way to get the FM3's signal to the Speaker. Thanks!

I've had a look at the easiest ways to plug my FM3 straight into a speaker (PA). Does the FM3 automatically output a microphone signal or does it need to run through a DI box to turn the signal into a mic signal. I'm just looking for the easiest way to get the FM3's signal to the Speaker. Thanks!
Don’t confuse the use of a XLR (balanced) connection with a microphone. The XLR connector allows for a balanced line level signal which has advantages over unbalanced line level. Same can be done with a TRS 1/4” phone plug and jack. I dont know if this is what is confusing you.

It's important to note that sometimes the input will specify whether it is a line or mic level input. Some just have a trim knob such that all the way down (or most of the way down) is line level, and for mic inputs, there is enough level boost available on that knob.

A DI is useful for taking weak (non-line level) signals, making them balanced for the long journey (long cables or snake) to a destination. Since the FM3 has line level balanced outs, it will make the journey with no problems.

Direct Box would be a good backup for unwanted power such as fanton power, or the FM3 would support any wrong load through the XLR?

Back
Top Bottom