Do I need to buy cab packs?

From someone that is still stuck deep down in the 3rd party IR rabbit hole I'd say there are tons of factory cabs that sound great. 3rd party IR's also can sound great but man is it a time suck!

Exactly! I used to sit for hours comparing IR's... "this one sounds great", "this one sounds better than that one", "the previous one that sounded great doesn't sound good anymore", etc. It was a pain in the @ss. I could have been practicing instead of spending hours tweaking. Honestly, I used to get lost just tweaking amps, pairing with and IR, then tweaking more, etc. Now, I just use the "tone" page and forget it or go into the "ideal" page for a boost. Not to say that there isn't great stuff in other pages. I'll hit the sag, or swap power tubes also but that's about it. I try to limit the knob turning as it gets me into trouble pretty quick as to which sounds good, better or best.
Long story short, you can get great live or record ready tones all from factory cabs, which I have already stated in a previous post.

Side note: I feel like some users shy away from a straight 57 mic'd IR. That is what's used live 90% of the time. Yeah, it's gonna sound a bit thin and harsh in your basement.

Sorry, rant over.

Last edited:
Side note: I feel like some users shy away from a straight 57 mic'd IR. That is what's used live 90% of the time. Yeah, it's gonna sound a bit thin and harsh in your basement.

Almost everything else sounds too bassy to me. Especially if you're running the cab-emulated out to a speaker on the floor.

The too-bassy sound really does sound epic....right up to the point you start playing along with a bassist. Or even a recording of one.

Almost everything else sounds too bassy to me. Especially if you're running the cab-emulated out to a speaker on the floor.

The too-bassy sound really does sound epic....right up to the point you start playing along with a bassist. Or even a recording of one.
Please repeat this so my band's guitarist hears it.
Louder please. He never uses ear plugs and it shows.

Exactly! I used to sit for hours comparing IR's... "this one sounds great", "this one sounds better than that one", "the previous one that sounded great doesn't sound good anymore", etc. It was a pain in the @ss. I could have been practicing instead of spending hours tweaking. Honestly, I used to get lost just tweaking amps, pairing with and IR, then tweaking more, etc. Now, I just use the "tone" page and forget it or go into the "ideal" page for a boost. Not to say that there isn't great stuff in other pages. I'll hit the sag, or swap power tubes also but that's about it. I try to limit the knob turning as it gets me into trouble pretty quick as to which sounds good, better or best.
Long story short, you can get great live or record ready tones all from factory cabs, which I have already stated in a previous post.

Sorry, rant over.
The 57’s are what I look for. The 121 is one I just don’t get. Wooly and dark. There’s also my ears. I tend to dial in a darker tone so maybe that’s why the 121 doesn’t work for me.

I have the high-pass filter on for all of the cab IRs I use, though tweaked a bit different for each cab/mic combo - I just assumed they’re leaving the bass there there so the user can cut however much they want. But without cutting it was way too much bass on every IR.

I recently started using @2112 Leon Todd's "TV Mix 7" IR. To my ears it's the Apple of IR's. It just works...

I love that IR and it gets a lot of use. I haven’t seen much feedback on Mikko’s GOT IR. If you like the LT 7 you may well like Mikko’s IR. It’s my current fav and I switch back and forth between the 2.

The only third party IRs I am considering purchasing are possibly Acoustic Guitar IRs. There is no acoustic sim block in the FM9 (yet), but I have heard some people get "good enough" results using IRs from acoustic guitars.

For some songs our cover band is doing (example: Boston's More Than A Feeling) I just want to get a reasonably good acoustic sound out of my electric. I don't want to have to mount an acoustic on a stand. So I downloaded a bunch of free acoustic IRs from the interweb but I have not had much luck getting anything close to a reasonable approximation of an acoustic sound out my electrics and fm9.

Has anyone made this happen on their FM9 in a way that made them reasonably happy with the result? I guess this could be worth a separate thread. We have a gig towards the end of the month so I'm running out of time. Fallback plan right now is just to do a clean compressed and spanky thing instead of trying to simulate an acoustic.

if you decide to purchase a third part IR pack, I recommend Ownhammer as a first pick….
I’ve purchased others, but Ownhammer‘s are my top choice….

Yes, anyone has... according to this thread which was posted recently :)
Thank you very much!

After the violin/viola/cello post recently I knew it could be done with the right IRs - apparently the freebie IRs I sourced off the web were all wrong. Or its just my newb self and I'm doing something else wrong. I would guess you want to skip the amp block and just go straight into a cab block. At least that's how I got the closest (while still sucking!)

If I still get no joy after trying those I'll ask OZ for some signal path hints in the thread you referenced.
Edit: Just finished that thread and yep it sounds like straight into a cab block.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom