AFIII Do I Need A Sub?

Rolf1

I'm a new user in the AXE FXIII arena and have a question about Subs.

I'm using my FXIII for recording little Jazz guitar videos. I'm recording the video via camera and the Audio via FXIII into Logic Pro. Using Adobe Pr I marry the two together. For monitoring the Audio I'm using a pair of Genelec 8030 C's (5").

My question is, should I be including a Subwoofer in order to pick up the lower frequencies (walking bass type runs) or should the 8030C's be enough for that.
The reason I ask is that the guitar sounds very bright but when it comes to the lower frequencies in the bottom strings it sounds thin. My normal remedy to that would be to adjust the EQ of course but I don't want to over compensate just because the monitors may not be covering them.

Thanks folks -

Hi @Rolf1
I would. Even though it possibly may not affect your guitar sounds much, it will certainly stop you from making mistakes in the lower frequencies because you cannot hear them. I have a sub with a couple of 15s in my studio, and it really doesn’t get much signal at all (varies based on the speakers I’m using) however I can sure hear when someone’s created music without a sub and gone a bit heavy on the bottom end!
Thanks
Pauly

For just guitar absolutely not. If your mixing drum, synths, and bass, possibly, but not necessary by any stretch of the means.

I'm a new user in the AXE FXIII arena and have a question about Subs.

I'm using my FXIII for recording little Jazz guitar videos. I'm recording the video via camera and the Audio via FXIII into Logic Pro. Using Adobe Pr I marry the two together. For monitoring the Audio I'm using a pair of Genelec 8030 C's (5").

My question is, should I be including a Subwoofer in order to pick up the lower frequencies (walking bass type runs) or should the 8030C's be enough for that.
The reason I ask is that the guitar sounds very bright but when it comes to the lower frequencies in the bottom strings it sounds thin. My normal remedy to that would be to adjust the EQ of course but I don't want to over compensate just because the monitors may not be covering them.

Thanks folks -
Low E on guitar is 82Hz. You are fine with those.

It depends on the full setup of your monitors and what you're doing. If guitar is your focus and you're not running down the rabbit hole of very accurate monitoring, they're fine.

If you're trying to get full range monitoring, you need subs unless you're in a pretty big room (think classroom sized).

For my room, the lowest of guitar signals would go through my subs (XO is around 100 Hz to get closer to the Schroeder frequency of it). But, I don't actually play guitar through my main system because of the latency (that XO is in software because it sounds better, but it's slow). I use a separate set of 5" monitors just for my FM3, and while it's clearly not as accurate and more distorted, it's close enough for a zero latency monitor.

Back
Top Bottom