Do I need a power amp?

Hi all,

Sorry in advance for what is probably a stupid question, but I can't find the answer anywhere. I have an old power amp that I used to use to run my Axe FX Standard through my cab. It has somehow appreciated significantly in value and I no longer need it since I run my Axe FX III through a pair of studio monitors, so I'm thinking of selling it. However, I would still like the option of playing through my cab, and I'm wondering whether I need a power amp to do so. Given all of the huge advancements since the Standard, it wouldn't surprise me if the III is powered, but I'd like a straight answer before I sell this thing.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, you still need a power amp to run a passive cab.
Anyway nowadays there are good cheap and lightweight power amps, so if your old amp's value has gone up you could sell it anyway and swap it for something else eventually.

Agree with DLC86. Consider a solid state bass amp. A lot of those have a pretty flat response and so won't color the output of your AxeFx

Keep it! If anything so you'll have a point of reference when dialing the sound in to studio monitors. Some people can get by with just the studio monitors... I can't, I need to compare and hear the cab in the room to judge correctly.

After years of using decent studio monitors I tried a Matrix power amp through a real cab.
Had run the Axe through tube heads into cabs before with mixed results.

Matrix into Cab is the best of both worlds in my opinion.
Dead quiet, sounds great.

Agree with DLC86. Consider a solid state bass amp. A lot of those have a pretty flat response and so won't color the output of your AxeFx
Depends on the brands. I once contacted to Markbass if their amps could be used as FRFR using send input and they responded “No”, whereas Ashdown said “Yes”.

Back
Top Bottom