Do I Need a Digital Audio Interface?

APE

Inspired
Can Axe-FX II be used as an interface?

Reading Introducing the Axe-Fx II at Section "Computer Integration with Onboard USB" (would be nice to have fragment identifiers to link to).

"You can record the Axe-Fx II main outputs on your connected PC or Mac, and on USB 2.0 systems, simultaneously capture a 3rd "dry" track for re-amping later."

Guitars and bass can go into the computer via Axe-FX II USB. What about monitoring audio from the Mac -> Axe-FX II -> powered speakers? Doable?

I believe that it means you can plug straight into the computer and the device shows up with 3 inputs and 2 outputs inside your DAW. So yeah no interface required.

No, you do not need an audio interface with the AxeFx II. USB supports 3 channels of audio (as refereenced by Fret) and MIDI IN/OUT.
You can still send audio to your PC via an existing audio interface - should you chose to - via the current method OUT1 or OUT2.
Theoretically, it could also be done via the headphone jack.

Newbie here.
So if I understood this correctly:

1. I connect the guitar to the AFXII(well duh?) and then the USB from AFXII -> Computer

2. In my DAW(say for instance; Cubase) I will then recieve 3 input channels from that USB, the first 2 channels are the mixed channels(in stereo) with the AFXII sound while the 3rd channel is the dry instrument

3. To record I can simply record the first 2 channels and be done with it, OR/AND I can record the 3rd channel with the dry sound and then later(when I'm not actually playing the guitar) I can "feed" that recorded dry channel back to the AFXII via USB and have it process the recorded instrument, adding the currently selected preset to it and produce 2 channels in stereo back to the computer. Doing this, I can then change the preset on the AFXII and feed the same recorded dry instrument to hear how that same playing sounds with another preset, for instance.

4. Also, when recording the dry channel, will I still be able to hear the 2 processed channels instead of hearing the dry sound?

Are those correct?

These replies have covered getting audio in to the computer, but what about audio output, for monitoring?

Sounds too good to be true. I was planning to buy Axe FX (v1) and RME Babyface. But now it looks as though I can save money by (gleefully) purchasing an FX II.

Is that to say you're better off recording using the AxeFx II instead of something like a Duet (which can do 24bit/96k...or the Duet 2 which will do 24/192)?

All depends on what you have on board for SRC, the Axe-fx II doesn't do that. the Duet does. But you could also use an outboard SRC and still not go through the additional A/D/A conversions.
But since the fractal and apogee both have great converters, it is going to matter much. IT will add a hair if additional latency though.

Newbie here.
So if I understood this correctly:

1. I connect the guitar to the AFXII(well duh?) and then the USB from AFXII -> Computer

2. In my DAW(say for instance; Cubase) I will then recieve 3 input channels from that USB, the first 2 channels are the mixed channels(in stereo) with the AFXII sound while the 3rd channel is the dry instrument

3. To record I can simply record the first 2 channels and be done with it, OR/AND I can record the 3rd channel with the dry sound and then later(when I'm not actually playing the guitar) I can "feed" that recorded dry channel back to the AFXII via USB and have it process the recorded instrument, adding the currently selected preset to it and produce 2 channels in stereo back to the computer. Doing this, I can then change the preset on the AFXII and feed the same recorded dry instrument to hear how that same playing sounds with another preset, for instance.

4. Also, when recording the dry channel, will I still be able to hear the 2 processed channels instead of hearing the dry sound?

Are those correct?

Anyone? :eek:

I believe Cliff stated [basically] that in another thread. So my understanding is yes.

Would there be any advantage of using an external audio interface (thinking of the duet II) rather than the integrated one in the axe-fx II?
I'm asking because I own the axe-fx Ultra, was waiting for the Duet II to be released, but now I'm thinking I might be better off selling the Ultra and getting the axe-fx II instead.

I would also like some light shed on this. axe fx II USB sound quality vs analog output to firewire/usb interface audio quality?

I currently run an axe fx ultra with an rme babyface, and don't get me wrong it is great, but all I record is guitar. If I could get just as good of results with just the USB connection I would be in heaven as I could actually end up POCKETING money from selling my current recording setup for the axe fx II. Who would have thought! Pretty much the only reason I am actually considering doing this because I really have no complaints with my current setup, this just makes it even cleaner!

One issue is if it is stuck in 48KHZ, I might have to wait, as I am currently recording an album in 44KHZ due to some previous issues in the projects. Any ideas if the axe fx II can record at 44khz anyone?

You would monitor through output 1 or headphones on the Axe-fx.

Wouldn't the normal way to monitor be to have tracks in your DAW set to record the AxeFx II and then have record monitoring enabled, and listen through the speakers you have hooked up to your DAW? Otherwise your monitoring when recording and playing back won't be the same setup, you'd be constantly switching back and forth. No?

grantcooper2: You can use the analog out1 and go to your current audiointerface and set this to 44KHz

For monitoring flexibility in the DAW I would always use a real audiointerface.

grantcooper2: You can use the analog out1 and go to your current audiointerface and set this to 44KHz

For monitoring flexibility in the DAW I would always use a real audiointerface.

Oh no I realize that haha that isn't what I was getting at. I am hoping to ditch the current audio interface I have and use USB, so long as the audio quality is on par. My concern is in with using the USB connection, am I forced to only record to 48KHZ projects and not 44KHZ as well?

Oh no I realize that haha that isn't what I was getting at. I am hoping to ditch the current audio interface I have and use USB, so long as the audio quality is on par. My concern is in with using the USB connection, am I forced to only record to 48KHZ projects and not 44KHZ as well?

I think it is 48KHZ :(
would be great if could record @ 44.1KHZ
48KHZ is not so hot for drum plugins

Back
Top Bottom