Do I need a an Eventide H9 or can it be done with AXE-FX III

So I've basically replicated one of my favorite artists tones but by so doing it unfortunately makes it too easy to max the dsp that I'm have to actually use a separate outboard cab modeler from two notes so I don't run out of dsp with the cab block...
But ya it's very unfortunate that I didn't get the turbo.

And when people are telling me that I have to save DSP by using less voices on the phaser or less resolution on the reverbs, or less stuff going on in the amp block, that defeats the whole purpose of trying to match the guy's sound, LOL. Such arguments are not solutions and I don't know why people even try to utter such nonsense when it doesn't do anything to help.
I agree for the most part.

Where I have a difference in perception is in the following scenario. The resolution settings on the reverbs in a band mix are a processor savings and not a really remarkable difference in a double blind test.

The H9 is a fun pedal with some fantastic presets, but you can recreate and expand upon those sounds with the Axe-Fx III without breaking a sweat. There are several factory presets and block effect types which will capture those tones, including the pitch, plex and multitap delay blocks.

Here's a few H3000/Eclipse/H9 inspired presets I've made.

Undulator

H3000 Detune

Plex/MTD "Verb Designer"

Like, all the standalone pedals I still have, I like what h9 does, but would not miss it much if I sold it (which I probably should do).

Can my AXE-FX III produce sounds like the H9 ???
Yeah the Axe can do all that stuff. H9 is one of the most annoying units because you have to have a phone to use the editor, has a funky power supply, and it doesn’t have an analog dry path, so in order to do stuff like the micro pitch right, you have to use a mixer or it will sound out of phase.

Yeah the Axe can do all that stuff. H9 is one of the most annoying units because you have to have a phone to use the editor, has a funky power supply, and it doesn’t have an analog dry path, so in order to do stuff like the micro pitch right, you have to use a mixer or it will sound out of phase.
What amp do you use the H9 with? I can never get with loops that aren’t serial due to phase problems in general.
I never noticed any phasing with the micro pitch (outside of the natural micro pitch sound which can be kinda phasey).
I think the thinking behind the phone editor was to simplify live use. Everyone already has a phone, so no need to bring a laptop. I’ve had issues syncing once or twice.
I’m powering mine right off one of the voodoo lab power supplies. If I remember it needed a different cable and was 9v 500mA. Use it now with the AX8. I’m getting the AX8 to send PCs on a scene by scene basis which is pretty slick.

Such arguments are not solutions and I don't know why people even try to utter such nonsense when it doesn't do anything to help.

What do you want from this forum? You only ask, tout your own horn, you haven't shared anything, you haven't helped anyone, you keep insulting others frequently. You did that as Djenter and you're still doing it.

The only reason I would think you may want an H9 is if you find that you run out of processing power in the Fractal unit.

You would need to have some pretty complex signal paths to run out of processing power to do that.

I personally have yet to max out the Fractal processor.

I have seen people post in the forum who have, but those people use kitchen sink presets usually, unless you are Dweezil with his very creative routing & processing, who is a universe by himself when it comes to sound chasing.

Personally, I'm a fan of a preset per 8 scenes of sounds that I want. I wouldn't want to try to have my whole universe of sounds in a single kitchen sink preset as I would personally find that too limiting, considering the amount of preset slots in the unit.

Different strokes for different folks.
Do you use the ultra res IRs? They can chew up your dsp power pretty quick.
Personally I stopped using them. I’m not hearing much difference there I can’t add with a splash of room type verb.

What amp do you use the H9 with? I can never get with loops that aren’t serial due to phase problems in general.
I never noticed any phasing with the micro pitch (outside of the natural micro pitch sound which can be kinda phasey).
I think the thinking behind the phone editor was to simplify live use. Everyone already has a phone, so no need to bring a laptop. I’ve had issues syncing once or twice.
I’m powering mine right off one of the voodoo lab power supplies. If I remember it needed a different cable and was 9v 500mA. Use it now with the AX8. I’m getting the AX8 to send PCs on a scene by scene basis which is pretty slick.
You really need to use micro pitch in a WDW setup if you want it to sound right. EVH, Lukather etc. used it in that way. I used the H9 in a stereo effects loop and just post amp, and never could get some stuff to sound right. I think putting it in parallel via a mixer would have made it sound way better. I honestly never could jive with Eventide stuff. It sounds amazing when it’s set up properly, but I never got along with their products, even their plugins give me grief. I think Boss products like the 500 series pedals are way friendlier and sound fantastic.

You really need to use micro pitch in a WDW setup if you want it to sound right. EVH, Lukather etc. used it in that way. I used the H9 in a stereo effects loop and just post amp, and never could get some stuff to sound right. I think putting it in parallel via a mixer would have made it sound way better. I honestly never could jive with Eventide stuff. It sounds amazing when it’s set up properly, but I never got along with their products, even their plugins give me grief. I think Boss products like the 500 series pedals are way friendlier and sound fantastic.
Yea boss has come a long way. I just wrapped up the space echo review and was very impressed. I have to pick up the GT 100 on Monday and have high hopes for it.

What do you want from this forum? You only ask, tout your own horn, you haven't shared anything, you haven't helped anyone, you keep insulting others frequently. You did that as Djenter and you're still doing it.
Thanks for selectively quoting me without quoting the part where I actually helped the person and told him that an H9 is not needed with an Axe 3 and that he can do anything with an Axe FX 3 that he can with an H9.

This is the same account as Djenter, the name changed because I moved out of the djent phase. So thanks for casting that in a false light too.

The only time I have been sardonic is when others were being salty with me.

Do you have any more questions or concerns? Because so far you are 0 for 3.

A friend has an AX8 and added an H9 in the effects loop to take the burden off the AX8 processor. It sounds pretty good, but that pedal, plus several others he has in the loop has resulted in what is basically a rat's nest of wires and reliability problems. It was an interesting visual seeing his rig next to my FM9 with two expression pedals on it.

A friend has an AX8 and added an H9 in the effects loop to take the burden off the AX8 processor. It sounds pretty good, but that pedal, plus several others he has in the loop has resulted in what is basically a rat's nest of wires and reliability problems. I was an interesting visual seeing his rig next to my FM9 with two expression pedals on it.
Pro wiring is costly but well worth it. My last 2 boards were wired by best-tronics. I definitely don’t regret it.

The H9 has unique algorithms. Yea the fractal can do it, but why spend the time doing all that programming?

That’s pretty much it for me. I’ve had two H9s since before Kemper upgraded their effects, so for a very long time. I have a pile of presets in them that I tweaked through the years.

Yes, I’m sure I could replicate most of them in the Axe, but there’s no reason to. They’re each in a loop, both linked via MIDI, and that works just fine for me.

That’s pretty much it for me. I’ve had two H9s since before Kemper upgraded their effects, so for a very long time. I have a pile of presets in them that I tweaked through the years.

Yes, I’m sure I could replicate most of them in the Axe, but there’s no reason to. They’re each in a loop, both linked via MIDI, and that works just fine for me.
But why not just replace them wth fx blocks? It's not hard to do. As already mentioned, the Axe Fx 3 makes any H9 units redundant.

Last edited:

Hey, I also used two H9 units when I had my Kemper. It was a good solution. All of it gone, since I went Fractal.

The only thing I loop with the Axe FX is a Dawner Prince Boonar. But lately, and with all of the multi-delays and new parameters, I’m thinking that maybe this Echorec effect might be duplicated. If I only knew more! I’m still working on a Mutron III Black Hole Sun effect. Hope to publish by September 1st, when back in the country.

I use the H9 just for the H910, H948 or H3000 algorithms. I know that the Axe Fx 2 I used to have could not emulated. I just ordered a new Axe Fx 3 mk2 turbo but I’m not sure if the pitch block has been updated so I‘m not sure it will be able to duplicate the H9 I hope so because I want to keep extra pedals to a minimum. I was using it with my Kemper because it didn’t have anything the sounded close to it. I jus like the -7/ 9 msec on one side and +7/ 12 msec on the other blended from 15 to 30 % with my dry sound.

I use the H9 just for the H910, H948 or H3000 algorithms. I know that the Axe Fx 2 I used to have could not emulated. I just ordered a new Axe Fx 3 mk2 turbo but I’m not sure if the pitch block has been updated so I‘m not sure it will be able to duplicate the H9 I hope so because I want to keep extra pedals to a minimum. I was using it with my Kemper because it didn’t have anything the sounded close to it. I jus like the -7/ 9 msec on one side and +7/ 12 msec on the other blended from 15 to 30 % with my dry sound.
This. Do people realize the H9 has (some?) H910 algos hidden inside? Does the AxeFX3 replicate these perfectly and if so with how much effort (point me to any posted custom presets). I have three H9 Max linked in a chain on a pedal setup, and an AFX3. I have an H9K on order. I’m not convinced it does t benefit to have both options available. I also have original Eventide racks including Instant Flanger, H910, and others. Let’s face it, none of this is completely copyable, particularly the old analog components in the early Eventide gear, which makes each unit sound different, or the bug in the H910, etc. I would love to get some H9 Max presets in my Axe, Oil Drum being one (Plate). Also think the comment on not using H9 when outputting to FRFR is very informative. Thanks for that info.

Back
Top Bottom