Do factory cabs just don't do it for most?

Chiguete

Experienced
I was thinking today that if Fractal makes the most awesome sounding amp simulation tones out there why is it there isn't that much love for their factory cabs? I would think they would dedicate enough time and money to make that as awesome as the amp tones... so technicly there woldn't be need for external cabs packs no?

I love the factory cabs. Get a ton of miles out of them. I don't know where you'd get that there "isn't much love for their factory cabs" from.

Cabinet IRs are like wine; there's an IR for every conceivable taste and situation. There's no factory set of IRs that could possibly satisfy every user out there. So Fractal lets us bring our own. No corkage fee too, which is nice, right? :)

Agreed. There are some wonderful IRs among the factory cabs, and that's just for my taste. :) Its a wide, varied, and very useful range of cabs.

I have no issues with factory cabs. Some guys are always looking for the next thing regardless of what they have. I like to focus on my current gear and try to make it work for me. The factory cabs haven't left me wanting for something else. There are other things I would rather spend my time searching.

Dig the factory cabs. I've bought a bunch of cab packs. A variety. I haven't put a dent in them because I haven't found issues with the factories. I mean I'm not currently USING a lot of the factory ones, but that's mainly because I spent money on the cab packs. Gotta justify those purchases! LOL

Great selection of IRs included from many different makers. IRs make a big difference and they are cheap. If you have a favorite speaker or cab it only makes sense to buy from the maker you prefer and expand your options.

I use both. No problem with the factory cabs at all. I like a lot the Célestin blue and silver cabs ans and 2x12 Versions. Will rather go to some user cabs for acoustic and some 4x12 cabs. It s a matter of taste î guess

There are some great factory cabs. I have bought various cab packs over the years and ended up using the latest factory cabs eg MLs 55/75 pre rolas..until recently when I got Ownhammers latest Marshall M75 and that has become an instant favourite and have replaced most of my fave preset cabs with this. Thanks Scott Henderson for recommending this cab!

I think that cab packs are widely used just because there are so many variables in a cabinet micing. If we compare an IR with an AMP block, the IR is more like an AMP block with some (locked) settings, that explains a lot why people enjoys using other IRs.

There are literally unlimited ways to mic up even a single cabinet. The factory cabs are definitely NOT BAD. I think they're easily higher quality than any other factory cabs in any other modeler out there. The reason people love IR's is that you can really fine tune your sound. There's only so much you can do with different preamp and EQ sections. You have a lot more control with IR's which is why everyone loves exploring them. How many IR's you need and how much you want to tweak and search for your sound varies from user to user. I think we can all agree that is best to explore at least enough to understand the power of IR's. IR technology has the power of making every Axe-Fx sound completely different and there's none of that "sounds like an Axe-Fx" conversation anymore like "sounds like a POD" for example.

I am using solely factory cabs. I own several Ownhammer packs, one or two Fractal, all of the Redwires IR's. It so happened that my favorites from the Fractal packs made it into the factory lineup. I mostly bought the Ownhammers to support him. If it wasn't for him the envelope might not have been pushed as hard and we wouldn't have had the excellent factory cabs we have now.

That said, I like the new celestion 4x12 IR's from the soundbites on their site...

I am using solely factory cabs. I own several Ownhammer packs, one or two Fractal, all of the Redwires IR's. It so happened that my favorites from the Fractal packs made it into the factory lineup. I mostly bought the Ownhammers to support him. If it wasn't for him the envelope might not have been pushed as hard and we wouldn't have had the excellent factory cabs we have now.

That said, I like the new celestion 4x12 IR's from the soundbites on their site...
What are your favorite factory cabs and can you explain when do you use them? in what situation? Thanks.

My personal stock cab secret is mixing these two together:

073 — 4x12 USA TRAD 57-121 (ML) — Mesa traditional Recto cabinet with four Celestion V30 speakers, UltraRes (Cab Pack 7). Mix of Shure SM57 and Royer 121.
074 — 4x12 USA TRAD 906-421 (ML) — Mesa traditional Recto cabinet with four Celestion V30 speakers, UltraRes (Cab Pack 7). Mix of Sennheiser e906 and Sennheiser MD 421.

That actually gives you four different mics mixed together. For me that's hard to beat as far as stock cabs go. A really versatile IR mix as well. The way you mix them is create a stereo UltraRes Cab Block and then pan both of these IR's to the center.

What are your favorite factory cabs and can you explain when do you use them? in what situation? Thanks.

My personal stock cab secret is mixing these two together:

073 — 4x12 USA TRAD 57-121 (ML) — Mesa traditional Recto cabinet with four Celestion V30 speakers, UltraRes (Cab Pack 7). Mix of Shure SM57 and Royer 121.
074 — 4x12 USA TRAD 906-421 (ML) — Mesa traditional Recto cabinet with four Celestion V30 speakers, UltraRes (Cab Pack 7). Mix of Sennheiser e906 and Sennheiser MD 421.

That actually gives you four different mics mixed together. For me that's hard to beat as far as stock cabs go. A really versatile IR mix as well. The way you mix them is create a stereo UltraRes Cab Block and then pan both of these IR's to the center.
This.
And the new UltraRes TV mixes F058 and 059, 131, 132, vox silver and blue, AC-20 mix. Mostly from high to low gain respectively. Although I like 4x12s on clean too. I seem to remember liking the F143 too.

This is all of the top of my head, so I might be off by some. Not the numbers, but how much I liked them... ;D

Last edited:
I use stock irs (and a few freebies from here and there). No one sells (or i haven't found yet) irs of the specific kind I'm looking for. I guess i could shoot my own but even then i would like to compare my results to those of the pros.
If anyone knows where to get quality impulse responses of a "tight sounding Marshall 1960B 4x12 cabinet with well broken in Celestion G12T-75 speakers" (like the one i own!:cool:), captured with a Shure SM57 microphone, meticulous technique and state of the art equipment, please let me know! (Hint! Mikko!) Also, i don't need a hundred irs, just about a dozen (three positions on each speaker will suffice):)

Back
Top Bottom