Do any of you still buy pedals?

I think its good to have pedals just to have a frame of reference when using the AxeFX. I have a pedal and tube rig, and I think if anything it enhances my AxeFX experience.

Back when I started playing in the 80s, there was Boss, Digitech, Ibanez and DOD on the low end for pedals, mostly. Now, there's a million boutique pedal manufacturers out there! Its like the craft beer market today. Tons of great stuff from small companies being put out. A real golden age of pedals, I think.

I'm leaning toward a TC Nova Delay for my B-rig. Seems to have the most features and quality at a great price.

Nah. I haven't bought a pedal in forever. The only pedals I have kept are a boss Hyperfuzz and a Digitech Space Station XP300. I don't use either of them but I am going to keep them anyway. Everything else has been sold. The only pedal I have out front is the MXR M222 Talkbox.

It's nice to save the CPU, but honestly I found the Fractal delays on par with the Timeline when I had both side-by-side. Timeline might've been a tad easier to dial, but not $400+ easier IMO.

yeah i've had them, i just prefer the ease of use and the all in one preset approach for some effects.

I have KEPT some pedals, but honestly, my goal with the Fractal (besides superb sound quality) is to just simplify things. Long gone are the days where I had to haul all my equipment from home to the studio and back, or just leave the equipment at the studio just so I had to drive there in order to play/practice.

With the Axe, I just plug in and start jammin'. I just love that.

I agree with Java, fun to play around sometimes. Also, as was mentioned, it is fun to A/B pedals, heads, etc with the Axe to refine patches.
One reason to still have some traditional rigs. Plus I like to tinker and create rigs that work well.
I still have some heads, cabs, preamps, rack effects stuff, etc. Maybe will let go of it at some point, when it becomes vintage. Oh wait, it already is, LOL.

I have been thinking of getting the electro harmonix b9 pedal for something that the axe fx doesn't do.
All other effects are good for me in the axe fx

I got the B9 last week. Works really well.
I still get pedals the odd time if something interesting came out.

I went through this just a few months ago.. building a pedalboard for my B rig for basement jams and other times I'd rather leave the Axe-Fx in the studio. Pedals are just fun! Metal boxes with knobs and bright colors.. and there are SO many on the used market cheap these days thanks to the modelling renaissance we're living in.

Only if Im convinced that something is unique enough to keep around. I want the absolute minimalist rig possible for the sound I need. To that end, I still have my Zvex Machine, a Metasonix tube filter, Dtar Mamabear and Fishman Aura to rip the IRs, and a Source Audio Multiwave Distortion.

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned an Eventide H9. I've considered it for its versatility and...well, just to play around with. Could also serve as a CPU saver.

it's pretty expensive for something you have to buy extra libraries for. by the time you buy it and a few libraries, you could almost buy a use Timeline and Big Sky. If it were cheaper it would be more appealing to me.

I recently purchased a Suhr Badger 30 head and I plan to get a Koko Boost pedal for it. I'm swapping out an Aldrich bridge pickup in a Suhr C2 for an SSV. The cab is a 2 x 12 closed back cab that will have Celestion G12M-65 Creamback speakers installed. I'll put the Axe FX in the loop for reverb and delay (of course I use the Axe in other ways as well). I suspect this particular set-up is going to sound great!

Last edited:
Recently picked up an Origin Cali76-TX Limiting Amp (compressor) that is amazing, the basic Cali76 is great but the transformer versions add a really sweet quality that warms and livens up your tone (even with the compressor bypassed the transformer still sweetens your tone).

The Mesa Flux Five is a Mesa Mark in a box that is really good and easy to use.

Well I dropped $107 on a Red Witch Violetta Delay yesterday. Sweetwater had a discount on a demo model, and I couldn't resist. From the demos online, it sounds phenomenal. I'll put the Plexitone (single-channel version, btw), SP compressor and Violetta on a Pedaltrain Nano and that should make for a lightweight and portable solution for taking to guitar ensemble with me.

I think having knowledge of pedals and how they work helps when using the AxeFX. The AxeFX is a tool of such power and depth that you could spend a lifetime unlocking its secrets. Sometimes its nice, and for my B-rig I insist, to have something dead-simple that sounds great.

Not in a while, although there are a couple I have my eye on.. I'll go used though. Concentrating more on guitars more recently... ;)

The Axe II pushed me to upgrade the delay on my small (Pedal Train Jr) board I use when I use my tube amp (yeah I still use one of these for gigs where I can't go to FOH) to an Eventide H9. Other than that I got an email when my name came up to purchase a Klon KTR which I did although I only plugged it in a couple of times and put it back in the box. It is probably a decent investment however looking at how much these things are fetching on eBay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben - I would say inherently if you are a solid, dedicated musician that purely loves music or jamming, it's built in to you soul to continue purchasing as much gear as possible... No other way to explain it.

To answer your immediate question, no, I have not even considered purchasing a pedal since picking up the AFX II and MFC 101 due to the crazy amount of versatility with using scenes (1-5 for the foot board) switching what I need for every preset.

I have a couple of friends who sometimes purchase the SAME pedal to emulate different effects for their live performances. What a sad idea lol. The AFX allows you 2 of each effect for the most part that you can modify and change easily with scenes. Once I grasped that concept, my thoughts of purchasing pedals was out the window...

For Amps however, that won't die I think.. Right now I still want to purchase a Fender Hot Rod 1X12 or 2X12 just to get a more authentic tone. The Super Verb and Super Tweed in the AFX amp blocks are CLOSE, but they still miss some of the warmer newer tones from Fender. With scenarios like this, I guess you could justify pedals as well. But if you understand you AFX well enough, you can edit parameters to get CLOSE to original copies or new tones you want to achieve.

My 2 cents, that is about all it's worth ;)

Thanks!

- Will

Looks like I'm not alone.
I just built a small pedalboard with a Polytune mini, Bogner Ecstasy red and TC Flashback delay. Great for quick jammin and when I don't feel like lugging my axe fx rig around. Now I'm thinking about getting a 1x12 combo... a lonestar maybe... Oh boy, It never stops.

This last year i have purchased: (in no particular order)

Fulltone 69
Fulltone MDV-2
RMC2 Wah
Banzai Fireball 2
Mythical Overdrive
EH Soul Food
TC Flashback delay
TC Helicon Harmony Singer
Zoom BT-100

Do any of you still buy pedals?
Absolutely, in fact I think I've bought more since I got my Axe-Fx then before and I've been playing since the 60's. The fact is what is coming out now is WAAAY ahead of pedals from the past, and I don't see any reason to stop now.

Back
Top Bottom