Do all the high gain amps have extra sizzle now?

schlagdog

Inspired
All my high gain amps on V6 just have way too much saturation and presence. With my power amp/cab setup I usually run my Mosvalve at about 3:00 on the presence. With the new update I have to take it down to noon and still I don't like the way it sounds. I noticed its the same going direct also. Everything gets that stock V30 cab sizzle from the preset cabs right from the start. Does everyone have this or just me? I know all the amp models have changed a lot with the new update but I usually hated the Saturation switch on the amp models and now they all seem to be kicked past that point from the start. I'm dialing my high cut switch WAY past where I usually had to.

That might be right . It´s probably a little brighter , and you also have a brightening presence controll on the mos valve.
I always start with presence a zero .I also start with treble and mid at zero on most high gain models (I like warm sounds).
The new sizzle is a very good sizzle b t w (I think) . I think most default sounds are way to trebly for me , but if you´re willing to lower the treble and presence to a setting that sounds good but might look strange , you will have much better sound then with last firmware.
I believe there are other stuff going on (in 6,0) then just eq-ing wich makes the sound much more alive .

I ran through the new presets and noticed the increased sizzle as well, I played at whisper volumes though, haven't had the oportunity to crank it a bit

The Mosvalve is pretty flat so I always kicked it up to match the presence of running the AXEFX through one of my amp heads power section. It usually was about 3:00 on the Mosvalve. I turned the presence to about noon on it and even turned to presence down to 8:30 on the Über model I usually use and it still sound awful I think. It's just got too much saturation and presence now and finding the same think in all the other high gain amp models I used to always use. I'm already up too late tweaking so hopefully tomorrow I find some magic to tone it down. I has the same problem all night with my direct tones. All my old patches sound the same way and all the ones I build from scratch do to. Too much saturation and sizzle that makes everything pretty digital sounding. I've lost any real amp tones and they are not sounding even close to good. I'd sure hate to have to roll back to the previous firmware.

Last edited:
I agree that It´s brighter sounding , but not digital sounding.There is also some low freqency stuff going on that made me wanna low cut the poweramp a bit .
I noticed that I can have less mastervolume on some high gain amps nowadays . As Zapoid also mentioned ,the defenition control is pretty effective to. Maybe try to go realy easy on the treble as well.

what actually is 'digital sounding'???
is it like all them waves falling out the speakers got replaced by 1's and 0's??? hope not.. cos that'd make a bit of a mess..

seriously though.... what constitutes something sounding digital???

I agree that It´s brighter sounding , but not digital sounding.There is also some low freqency stuff going on that made me wanna low cut the poweramp a bit .
I noticed that I can have less mastervolume on some high gain amps nowadays . As Zapoid also mentioned ,the defenition control is pretty effective to. Maybe try to go realy easy on the treble as well.

what you actually have is a good thing....
if the audio source generates too much 'stuff' EQ wise, it's better to have to cut that than to have to boost freqs to compensate for what was never there from a source that was 'stuffless'.....

I think v6 sounds much better, it's got tube amp bite and sizzle but is not harsh or grating imo.

Yes , I know ! I love this firmware

I was just trying to help a guy who thouht his sound was sizzling and to bright and
"digital".

To me this is the best firmware ever.
For example , the brit brown sounds fucking amazing throug my real cabs.

if the audio source generates too much 'stuff' EQ wise, it's better to have to cut that than to have to boost freqs to compensate for what was never there from a source that was 'stuffless'.....

there's an odd mentallity that:
digital sounds bad
analogue sounds great

this is shockingly untrue
there is plenty of kit of both types that are good and bad...
and there is plenty of great kit that's simlpy set up badly...

so... if someone has a 5150, and behaves like a goon with the gain and hi's, will this sound digital cos it's all fizzy???
it's also possible to have a nice VH4, slam loads of analogue stomps in the fx loop and process it silly.. will all this analogue gear sound 'digital'?

tones can be set up badly and over processed... but that don't mean that it's possible to hear digitalness....

I always have my presence on my Mosvalve 500 at zero when running it with the Axe II. I utilize the presence from the amp sims, otherwise it way too harsh using both.

smores...cinnamon/brown sugar....chocolate.....strawberry-glazed...so many choices!

+1

As usual clarky, good insight. I agree...I learned that a LONG time ago (about the benefits of subtractive-EQ, etc.) and it applies to lots of sources too!

BTW, I'm a little groggy as sip my coffee (up all night messing with my Axe-FX II/FW-6.0!) so I was thinking that it would sure be nice to have "tasty-sweet breakfast-treat" to go with my hot coffee....Ideas anyone.....Hmmmmm???

Bill

Just went through most presets w a P90ies guitar and I had the "sizzle & bass" issue, which made I didn't get a kick out of any preset, presets didn't sound as diverse, hardly recognized old favs, ...

I do agree the sizzle is never irritating and when previously most presets didn't sound too well on my monitors, they are now all ok-ish in that regard.

Next pass through the Atomics w. EMG guitar.

Adjust your speaker resonance controls. My high gain presets didn't get too bright, they got too boomy. Lowering the low frequency resonance slightly helped immensely. Now it sounds even better than before.

If you are using the power amp sims ON, you should start with presence at 0 on the Mosvalve. You are already simulating the presence of the modeled poweramp in the Axe and are in effect doubling it with you external pwr amp if presence is on. While I agree that most of the models have more sizzle (and thump) remember that the gain and tone controls were all redone in this FW to me a match with the original. Use your ears when tweaking, not your eyes.
If still too much sizzle, try the reducing some highs on the speaker tab in the amp settings. In the Axe you can also adjust the power amp hi-cut, speaker hi-cut and the new definition control. All have an effect on the highs. Personally I would try to adjust on the basic amp controls first.

Back
Top Bottom