Do all passive FR speakers have a crossover?

If you could design a single driver that could reproduce 20Hz-20kHz (or something reasonably close), you wouldn't need a crossover. Physics is not on your side, though.

burningyen said:
Whizzer speakers like the Beyma 12GA50 don't need crossovers.

I'm pretty sure that these speakers have a built-in crossover.

And the answer to the OP's question is that most passive FRFR speaker systems will have a crossover built-in but there may be a few that don't.

I believe that the B&C coaxial drivers, like those used in the FBT Verve 12m do not have the crossover built-in, although FBT probably builds one into their cabs.

joegold said:
burningyen said:
I believe that the B&C coaxial drivers, like those used in the FBT Verve 12m do not have the crossover built-in, although FBT probably builds one into their cabs.

They do and the are active and cross at fixed freq of 1.8K.

Sixstring said:
joegold said:
burningyen said:

Not sure what you're saying.
Does B&C include the crossover with the drivers?
Or does FBT include the crossover with the enclosures?

joegold said:
Sixstring said:

Not sure what you're saying.
Does B&C include the crossover with the drivers?
Or does FBT include the crossover with the enclosures?

They [FBT] do [include crossover(s) within the electronics] and the [included crossover(s)] are active and cross [over] at [a] fixed freq of 1.8K

goodwill559 said:
They [FBT] do [include crossover(s) within the electronics] and the [included crossover(s)] are active and cross [over] at [a] fixed freq of 1.8K

Thanks.
By "active", do you mean that these cabinets require some sort of a battery?

No, the crossover circuit will draw power from the same source as the amplifiers, from within the monitor's circuitry.

joegold said:
goodwill559 said:

Thanks.

FWIW
I think that there's a misprint on the FBTUSA web site where they say that the crossover in the Verve 12m is "active".
The owner's manual for this series of speakers says nothing about an active circuit.
So I'm guessing that it's really a passive crossover.

goodwill559 said:
No, the crossover circuit will draw power from the same source as the amplifiers, from within the monitor's circuitry.

Please explain.
Are you saying that there is enough current (or whatever) within the signal that comes down the speaker wire from the power amp to power an active crossover circuit within the speaker enclosure?

If so, that's news to me.

joegold said:
goodwill559 said:

Thanks.

As far as I can tell (and this is an assumption as FBT is not specific as to how the circuit is made up) they use the power from the output of the amp, so the voltage delivering the signal to the speaker is the power that runs the crossover so no external power source is needed to power the crossover net work. It sounds miss leading to me but that is what they are saying. I always thought that an (active crossover) needed an external power source to drive the electronics to be considered Active.

Taken from FBT's web site...

Product Description

The FBT VERVE Series speakers feature Baltic Birch Plywood construction, covered in a scratch & scuff resistant
black paint finish.
The FBT VERVE 12m is a two-way design incorporating a COAXIAL B&C 12” low frequency woofer with
neodymium magnet and a concentric B&C 1.4” High frequency driver coupled to a 90°H x 90°V horn.

The active internal crossover is at a fixed frequency of 1.8k. With a frequency range of 60Hz - 18kHz, the
Verve 12m provides hi fidelity sound for both speech and music applications with a maximum SPL of 123 dB.
A front face steel grille protects the woofer from external damage. FBT’s new S.T.E.P. (Soft Trip Electronic
Protection) circuitry protects speaker/driver components against failure.

A standard 1? speaker stand socket allows the Verve 12m to be mounted on a speaker stand so it can also be
utilized as a Front of House full range speaker.

"The Bi amplified Verve 12ma powered monitor/speaker features a 300w RMS Class G low frequency amp, and a 100w RMS Class G high frequency amp, both with switch mode power supplies."

Bi-amplification with an active crossover essentially means that the crossover operates with low level signals, those low level signals are sent to a power amplifier which then sends speaker level signal to the drivers.

Passive crossovers use passive components, resistors, coils, and caps. Active crossover circuits use transistors, op-amps, which require power.

There are at least three powered devices in this monitor, a crossover and two power amps,. When you plug the monitor into an AC supply, the monitor's circuitry will rectify and supply the required respective power to all and any devices needing power to operate the monitor within normal parameters.

Hope that helps. :)

joegold said:
goodwill559 said:

Please explain.
Are you saying that there is enough current (or whatever) within the signal that comes down the speaker wire from the power amp to power an active crossover circuit within the speaker enclosure?

Nah, the crossover circuit comes before the power amplifiers. The monitor's circuitry will include any rectification needed to power the pre- and power- amp circuits.

We are talking about a powered, bi-amplified, actively crossed over monitor, right?

goodwill559 said:
joegold said:
goodwill559 said:

Please explain.

Nah, the crossover circuit comes before the power amplifiers. The monitor's circuitry will include any rectification needed to power the pre- and power- amp circuits.

We are talking about a powered, bi-amplified, actively crossed over monitor, right?

No.
We're talking about the passive Verve 12m, not the 12ma which is their powered speaker with the same drivers.

joegold said:
goodwill559 said:
joegold said:
Please explain.

No.
We're talking about the passive Verve 12m, not the 12ma which is their powered speaker with the same drivers.

Oops, :oops: I thought we were discussing the actives.

A passive monitor with an onboard active crossover would be news to me too!

Back
Top Bottom