Do 1x12 cab IRs sound ‘more natural’ in 1x12 type FRFR cabs?

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
For live players out there that are using 1x12 FRFR cabs and tried a lot of IRs from all the various commercial packs.

Where I’m coming from ….

My old rig which I played for about a million years used 2 1x12 conventional closed back Marshall cabs. ( I sent a pre cabs emulated speaker DI direct to FOH whenever called for).

The infamous ‘amp in the room’ stage sound that I’m personally used to is therefore is the sound of a 1x12 cab …. even though I’d probably have used a couple of 4x12s or even 2x12s if it had been practical but the average room/stage sizes we played definitely did not merit that

I’m not one to get all disturbed over my stage cabs not sounding exactly like the FOH feed - the FOH can eq what I send it to suit itself - my main concern here is what I hear from my backline.

So from a physical dimensions and stage backline sound point of view - does a 1x12 (non wedge shape) FRFR cab perhaps lend itself (even just a little) better to 1x12 cab IRs ?

I know there’s still a mic baked in to IRs which sort of throws a wobbly in there ……. and FRFR is supposed to be similar to what you’d normally hear through a foldback stage monitor …… but has anyone gone from a 4x12 IR down to a 1x12 IR and noticed anything pleasing?

Different flavors. That's all. What's "natural" depends a lot on what you're used to and what kinds of tones you're going for. And your ears are the only true judge of that. There is no "1x12 (or 4x12) sounds more natural" rule.
...has anyone gone from a 4x12 IR down to a 1x12 IR and noticed anything pleasing?
Yes. People have also gone the other way and found something pleasing.

Try it. Compare a 1x12 IR to a 4x12 IR. Is the 1x12 more pleasing? Then run with it. Is the 4x12 more pleasing? Run with that. Can't tell? Then don't sweat it. It's all personal opinion, and the best you can get with your question is a vote that's entirely unrelated to your personal preferences and needs. And happiness can't be found by having someone tell you what you're supposed to like.

Is sage better than nutmeg? Depends on what you're cooking. ;)

I think most 1x12 IRs are going to be from open or semi-open cabs, which is not probably what you are used to.

I would say they don't have much to do with each other. A 1x12 guitar cab will not have the huge low end resonance which may be easier for a small FRFR speaker to amplify. Less low end = more headroom etc. Still you're comparing a miked sound to a real guitar cabinet sound in a room and those are two very different things as far as physics go.

Try it. Compare a 1x12 IR to a 4x12 IR. Is the 1x12 more pleasing? Then run with it. Is the 4x12 more pleasing? Run with that. Can't tell? Then don't sweat it. It's all personal opinion, and the best you can get with your question is a vote that's entirely unrelated to your personal preferences and needs. And happiness can't be found by having someone tell you what you're supposed to like.
I'm not going to be in a position to try it 'loud' for a while so was just fishing for any opinions in the meantime .... but I'm going to give it a go when possible.

From using headphones, my ears are telling me that while there's less bass there's also more boxiness in the 1x12 irs ..... more mid focus. Not as nice with edgy/mid gain/high gain presets as the average 4x12 or 2x12 IR in headphones but at volume through a proper FR speaker cab it will perhaps come more into it's own.

From using headphones, my ears are telling me that while there's less bass there's also more boxiness in the 1x12 irs ..... more mid focus. Not as nice with edgy/mid gain/high gain presets as the average 4x12 or 2x12 IR in headphones but at volume through a proper FR speaker cab it will perhaps come more into it's own.
The difference between headphones and room is significant. The room will change the frequency response, which will change the voice of the tone.

It depends on the cab. I guess generally you could say that the smallest 1x12s are likelier to have bad resonances but something like a Suhr 1x12 in Cab Pack 16 for example is the same size as many 2x12s and therefore doesn't have those bad resonances. You'll definitely appreciate the strengths of smaller cabs in a mix context.

I siwtched from a 4x12 IR to a 1x12 IR and I was ok with the change. I wanted a less compressed tone and when FAS added the TripTik cab to the factory list I had to try it since I was using a TripTik. I enjoy to this day. I am actually going to get FAS new cab pack that has the TripTik 1x12 in it and I am going to get ML's Boogie 2x12 cab pack. Those 2x12 boogies are magic

I siwtched from a 4x12 IR to a 1x12 IR and I was ok with the change. I wanted a less compressed tone and when FAS added the TripTik cab to the factory list I had to try it since I was using a TripTik. I enjoy to this day. I am actually going to get FAS new cab pack that has the TripTik 1x12 in it and I am going to get ML's Boogie 2x12 cab pack. Those 2x12 boogies are magic
Oh definitely! Check this thread and the first video for a pretty clear comparison between the Mesa 4x12 cabs and the Mesa 2x12 cab: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/2016-cab-pack-comparison.116740/

The fourth video actually discusses smaller cabs from Suhr to Fender and Vox etc. and how they compare to 4x12 cabs.

Oh definitely! Check this thread and the first video for a pretty clear comparison between the Mesa 4x12 cabs and the Mesa 2x12 cab: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/2016-cab-pack-comparison.116740/

The fourth video actually discusses smaller cabs from Suhr to Fender and Vox etc. and how they compare to 4x12 cabs.
I had checked out the thread yesterday before you added the 1x12 videos. I owned a Vertical Boogie 2x12 and a Horizontal 2x12. They were both super cool but very different do if you get a chance to shoot one of those you might enjoy it. I would love to hear a clip of the AC20 dlx through your AC cab pack. It could just be a few seconds nothing crazy. Any chance you can do that in the next day or so? I am picking up some cab pack today or tomorrow and keep going back and forth between that cab pack and CP4 because it has the Morgan cab. I am def getting the boogie 2x12 one and FAS new one that has the Triptik cab.

I had checked out the thread yesterday before you added the 1x12 videos. I owned a Vertical Boogie 2x12 and a Horizontal 2x12. They were both super cool but very different do if you get a chance to shoot one of those you might enjoy it. I would love to hear a clip of the AC20 dlx through your AC cab pack. It could just be a few seconds nothing crazy. Any chance you can do that in the next day or so? I am picking up some cab pack today or tomorrow and keep going back and forth between that cab pack and CP4 because it has the Morgan cab. I am def getting the boogie 2x12 one and FAS new one that has the Triptik cab.
Sure I'll do it straight away. Any specific guitar you wanna hear through it? I have Strats, Les Pauls and PRSs. :)

Sure I'll do it straight away. Any specific guitar you wanna hear through it? I have Strats, Les Pauls and PRSs. :)
Thanks man. I play Suhr's and Tom Anderson's. Two Strat Types with humbuckers in the bridge. A have another Anderson who's wood combo is prob like the PRS and I have an Anderson T with humbucker in the bridge. So anything in those ball parks would be awesome lol

Thanks man. I play Suhr's and Tom Anderson's. Two Strat Types with humbuckers in the bridge. A have another Anderson who's wood combo is prob like the PRS and I have an Anderson T with humbucker in the bridge. So anything in those ball parks would be awesome lol
I happen to have Suhr V60LP pickups in my Strat so I thought it would probably be closest to what you're experiencing. I know it's a clean amp but I cranked it all the way up and played softer for the cleaner parts. No humbucker in the bridge though but I hope this gives you an idea how the pack sounds like. Oh and as you might imagine it's under minute of tweaking... based on the out of tune guitar. :D

I happen to have Suhr V60LP pickups in my Strat so I thought it would probably be closest to what you're experiencing. I know it's a clean amp but I cranked it all the way up and played softer for the cleaner parts. No humbucker in the bridge though but I hope this gives you an idea how the pack sounds like. Oh and as you might imagine it's under minute of tweaking... based on the out of tune guitar. :D

Thx man! Was that the 12ax7 model or the EF83 model? I usually keep em pretty clean and hit em with drive pedals. It def sounded good. I have a choice to make lol

Thx man! Was that the 12ax7 model or the EF83 model? I usually keep em pretty clean and hit em with drive pedals. It def sounded good. I have a choice to make lol
I preferred the 12AX7 B version. :) I'm sort of a non-drive pedal dude... it probably limits my tonal possibilities a bit.

Back
Top Bottom