DIY FRFR - using in-wall or ceiling speakers?

Mic has a number of different cab designs. The wedges (what I have) are fairly small. I would think the volume is less than a typical 1x12 guitar cab.

I'm away from home at the moment so can't give any measurements.

Also, no idea what internal and thus invisible baffling may be in place.

Based on multiple pictures that I've seen I don't think there is any additional baffling.

Also interesting to note that at the time, per the end of the thread, it looks like he was treating the 12LTA as the base configuration and presumably the 12CX as an upgrade

Hi All,

Been a little busy on the development side of things of recent... translated.... Customers wanted something so I designed and built it... :)

First off, the pictures:

efbfa95f.jpg

f311d950.jpg

14927f96.jpg

So here is a 1x12 model standard cab, 1x12 wedge and finally a 1x6 or 1x8 cab.

The 1x12's will both feature an internal 50watt per side Class AB amp if desired that will also supply a powered out. They can also be Passive. The design is such that if you want stereo you only need one powered cab and one passive rather than two powered cabs. A 140watt per side amp is also available for an additional $90

The 1x6 or 1x8 will have a single channel 15watt Class A amp.

The wedge will be painted with a speaker cab textured paint that is very durable. Line-X truck bed covering will also be an option. The wedge and 1x12 traditional will also be available with cutouts for the Matrix GM50 if desired. Top hats for pole mounting are also an option.

Base costs are as follows:

Wedge - base price is $399 passive and $549 active.
1x12 traditional base price is $499 passive and $649 active
1x6/8 base price is $349 passive and $449 active.

The Line-X coating, if desired will add upwards of $100 per cab. I do not have firm pricing yet but I hope to get the wedge done for about $60-$70 each.

Other options are available and we can certianly discuss if interested.

Thanks,

Mick

Based on multiple pictures that I've seen I don't think there is any additional baffling.

Also interesting to note that at the time, per the end of the thread, it looks like he was treating the 12LTA as the base configuration and presumably the 12CX as an upgrade

True.. the 12CX has been my standard driver for a couple years or so.... can't exactly recall... the LineX style coating is also now standard..

This is great, thanks a lot! When you say voidless ply, should I assume that most of the more budget cabs (i.e. Peavey, Egnater, Orange, lower-end Fender) wouldn't fit this but mid-to-higher end (i.e. Mesa, Bogner, at other companies reissue type models) would be voidless?

On used markets, craigslist, etc there are essentially endless cheap old cabs waiting to be put to proper use.

One reason I was leaning towards 1x12 versus attempting a 2x12 is, in addition to weight/portability, I thought it would be much simpler from a design perspective because wouldn't have to worry about spacing between the drivers and any phasing type issues.

Most of the higher end cab builders will use voidless ply, birch mostly some will use poplar which is a lighter and in most cases less expensive and offers up a slightly different tone.

Before I went to work for Matrix I dabbled in DIY FRFR. As others have stated, it can start getting more expensive than you think. Some of the entry level Coaxials are pretty poor (especially for our intended use) and the next level up also come at an increased price. Same for the entry level crossovers. Once it's all added up, even a good quality mid priced bespoke FRFR system will be close to what your paying and sound considerably better. Even the lower end ones will sound just as good for a similar price.

I've been SOOO close to converting a couple of my Bogner Cubes sitting here to a FRFR based on the BETA 12CX drivers for about a year now. Still tempted.

When I remodeled my house a few years ago, I built a 7.2 channel home theater in my basement. I wanted in-wall and in-ceiling speakers for a clean installation, but I also knew that would present some challenges in fidelity. What I wound up doing was ordering 3-way speakers that were designed for "near-FRFR" (as reasonably close as can be accomplished in an under-$500-per-speaker), and then researching the appropriate speaker cabinet for the front-center-right speakers, and for the ceiling speakers (in this case, the surround channels). My rear channels are dipoles, and are mounted on surface of the rear wall.

Once I had the spec for the recommended speaker cabinet interior volume, I built custom enclosures between the studs, using void-free plywood, with rabbet joints at all mating edges. Then I put acoustic foam inside to manage resonance, sealed up the box with acoustic caulk+glue+screws, and installed the drywall over the top to hide them. I cut through the drywall and the front of plywood, installed the in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. They are very unobtrusive, and sound amazing. I'm an experienced studio and home theater installer, and spent a lot of time engineering the room for a great response. Very pleasing, and it rocks for DTS surround.

I'd wager those in-wall speakers are quite close to FRFR, but I spent about $550 per speaker in materials for each one, and the cabinets are just raw unfinished plywood since nobody will ever see them. Add the cost of a decent speaker coating, corners, feet, external connectors, etc... and you're basically in the same range as a Xitone.

I happen to have a Xitone 1x12 wedge, and it's amazing. As you can probably surmise from this information about my home theater / remodel project, I'm a handy guy. I probably couldn't build a Xitone-style wedge for less than what I paid for it, and the engineering is fantastic. Also, Mick is wonderful to deal with. If you are strongly inclined to build your own cabinet, it's fun and obviously very satisfying to know you did it yourself. If you just want a great FRFR cab at a great price, get a Xitone.

I happen to have a Xitone 1x12 wedge, and it's amazing. As you can probably surmise from this information about my home theater / remodel project, I'm a handy guy. I probably couldn't build a Xitone-style wedge for less than what I paid for it, and the engineering is fantastic. Also, Mick is wonderful to deal with. If you are strongly inclined to build your own cabinet, it's fun and obviously very satisfying to know you did it yourself. If you just want a great FRFR cab at a great price, get a Xitone.
100% agree with your sentiments about Mick/Xitone.

But I have these two cabs just sitting there staring at me all day long. :/

Back
Top Bottom