DIY FRFR CAB

Very Nice.

I did something similar, built around a pair of BMS 12CN860s, a dbx Driverack 260, and a pair of QSC PLX1804s.

The BMSs are triaxial, neodymium, point sources. Was looking for the more commonly known coaxial version, when I stumbled upon these drivers. Checkout the BMS and Assistance Audio websites for specs...pretty impressive.

The cabinets (my own concoction) are all 18mm Baltic birch, except for the baffle board, which is 25mm (if I recall correctly). Total volume is about 42 liters. Upward facing angle is 35 or 55 degrees (can be varied with the detachable feet I've never bothered to mount), or parallel to the floor when on their end or poles. They are tuned down to about 52hz (F3). The ports are 4" Klipsch double flairs. The coating is LineX.

I'm running them biamped, actively crossed by the Driverack, with BMS passive crossover between the midrange and tweeters. I drafted a pretty extensive write up the build, that I'll finish and post at some point. I also have the plans (in Sketchup), and some cabinet volume and port models (in Excel). The Forum doesn't seem to like those files. I can send to folks who are interested, but I'll be traveling (with the rig) for a couple of weeks. Internet access / time may be sporadic.

They sound great in any room (so far), at any volume, and are loud as heck. The clean headroom is deceptive, so you have to really watch the volume.

Attachments

• BMS Monitor 2.jpg
    BMS Monitor 2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 105
  • BMS Monitor 9.jpg
    BMS Monitor 9.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 95
  • BMS Monitor 5.jpg
    BMS Monitor 5.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Very Nice.

I did something similar, built around a pair of BMS 12CN860s, a dbx Driverack 260, and a pair of QSC PLX1804s.

The BMSs are triaxial, neodymium, point sources. Was looking for the more commonly known coaxial version, when I stumbled upon these drivers. Checkout the BMS and Assistance Audio websites for specs...pretty impressive.

The cabinets (my own concoction) are all 18mm Baltic birch, except for the baffle board, which is 25mm (if I recall correctly). Total volume is about 42 liters. Upward facing angle is 35 or 55 degrees (can be varied with the detachable feet I've never bothered to mount), or parallel to the floor when on their end or poles. They are tuned down to about 52hz (F3). The ports are 4" Klipsch double flairs. The coating is LineX.

I'm running them biamped, actively crossed by the Driverack, with BMS passive crossover between the midrange and tweeters. I drafted a pretty extensive write up the build, that I'll finish and post at some point. I also have the plans (in Sketchup), and some cabinet volume and port models (in Excel). The Forum doesn't seem to like those files. I can send to folks who are interested, but I'll be traveling (with the rig) for a couple of weeks. Internet access / time may be sporadic.

They sound great in any room (so far), at any volume, and are loud as heck. The clean headroom is deceptive, so you have to really watch the volume.

WOW !!!!!

Amazing work.

So almost ready. I am very very happy with the sound. Still looking for the perfect grill.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 76
Very Nice.

Hey DeVille. Can you send me the schematics of those cabinets? I have the alto sxm112a and I would like to make a new cab. Just experimenting if the low end and mid range gets to sound good after.

Those cabs look great! I know this is an old thread. How did these work out for you in the long run? I'd be interested in specs, schematics, and/or a parts list, if you ever have the time.

Back
Top Bottom