DIY Axe-Fx Foot Controller for $50 (Open Project)

Hello everyone
So I finally done soldering and connecting everything,
View attachment 72983

I attached a piece of wood at the edge with screws to add some stability, i also gonna glue some spray paint caps in the middle to make it even more stable.
But before uploading the code and try it, I wanted to share with you how I connect the LCD and the Midi Plug to confirm if everything is done right.

For the 16x2 LCD (couldn't find any larger LCDs), I connected as shown in here
View attachment 72984

For the Midi-out I connected it as follows :
Midi Pin 2 to ground pin (below pin 53)
Midi pin 4-220 ohm resistor to +5V (above pin 22)
Midi pin 5-220 ohm resistor to Tx3

* I Left the other Midi-in plug unconnected because I don’t think I need a Midi-in for now.

Now before I learn how to code the Arduino board properly to match what I exactly need to do with the FC which going to take some time, I need to play around with the FC and try some of the already built codes in this thread. and as I’m going to try it with my Axe fx II XL+, I think the most suitable code is ver 6.9 in post #21 by @Piing ? or is there’s another recommended version ? since most of the other versions are made for the AXE FX III
I belive.
Also is there any settings you advice to change in the AXE unit before I connect the FC ?

Thanks

That looks great!

The latest revisions of the code are at post #2

There is one for a 20x4 I2C LCD - Ver 11.01 (19/May/2019)
And another for a 16x2 LCD - Ver 7.0 (28/April/2019)

That looks great!

The latest revisions of the code are at post #2

There is one for a 20x4 I2C LCD - Ver 11.01 (19/May/2019)
And another for a 16x2 LCD - Ver 7.0 (28/April/2019)

Thanks for confirming @Piing
I tried to verify the code in Ver 7.0 but i got this error message :
Axe3Controller_V7.0:10:10: fatal error: AxeFxControl.h: No such file or directory
#include <AxeFxControl.h>

is that ok ?
also is ver 7.0 is named Axe3 controller, can i still use that for the Axe 2 ?

AxeFxControl.h is from Tysonlt library. You can find it here: https://github.com/tysonlt/AxeFxControl

That is for the Axe-FX III. If you are using the Axe-Fx II you need a version prior to Tysonlt's library, like 6.13. They are all at the second post

i compiled V6.13 the missing file this time is MIDI.h , i tried to find it in Tysonlt's libary but it doesnt seem that there's a file with that name there.
do you have any clue ?

That is the MIDI library. The link was also at post #2
https://github.com/FortySevenEffects/arduino_midi_library

i downloaded the whole libary as zip
then pasted the Midi files in the same directory of V 6.13.
i'm still getting the same message after compiling

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Axe3Controller_V6.13:2:10: fatal error: MIDI.h: No such file or directory
#include <MIDI.h>

did i add the files the wrong way ? Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.38.41 PM.png

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

#include <MIDI.h>

did i add the files the wrong way ? View attachment 73135
This is worth a try

Instead off: #include <filename>
use this: #include “filename”

Last edited:

#include <MIDI.h>

did i add the files the wrong way ? View attachment 73135

That is a library. You do not have to copy these files to the folder where you have the Arduino sketch. You have to install the library

You can do it manually, extracting the contents of the zip in a separate folder file under \Documents\Arduino\Libraries\, or importing it from the IDE.

Both methods are explained here:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/guide/libraries

I installed the Midi library as instructed, but when i compiled the sketch this time
i got a never ending list of warnings lol
Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.01.43 PM.png

Could you try uploading a simple program, like the "Hello World" to test the display, or to simply light some leds?

Last edited:
if you mean, trying the examples in the IDE, yes i tried to load the Blink example into the IDE and there was no errors at all.
or do you mean loading one of those simple examples to the the arduino baord ?

I would try it on the board. First modify the sketch to adapt it to the pins that you are using

I would try it on the board. First modify the sketch to adapt it to the pins that you are using
i think trying to load the sketch with that much of erros is not a good idea.
i guess it would be better if i google for those errors and try fix them.
i'll let you know if i found something.
can you tell me what are the libraries you have installed for the current version you are using ?
because those errors didnt show up when i compiled v11.01 nor v7.0, they only appear when i compile v6.13

What I am suggesting is that you upload some simple sketch first, for testing the display, the LEDs or the swithes. Just adapt the pins to the ones you are using. Have you already succeeded uploading a sketch into your board?

The libraries that I am currently using are for the Nextion Display and Tysonlt's library. You don't need these. For version 6.13 you only need the MIDI and the LCD libraries, as defined at the header

Last edited:
I've successfully compiled V6.13.
Axe3Controller_V6.13 _ Arduino 1.8.9.png
Do you get the message "Done Compiling" at the end? If you do, you are good to upload it to the board

Last edited:
Yes, I'm getting the message "done compiling" at end.
Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 2.45.43 PM.png
however, upon checking the warning messages i noticed that the warnings are only for the lines that contain ( / or - )
for example:
#define Gate/Expander1Bypass_CC 60
#define Gate/Expander2Bypass_CC 61
#define Multi-Delay2Bypass_CC 69
#define Multi-Delay2Bypass_CC 70

I also found this thread on github discussing a similar issue but i didnt understand a thing from what they are saying lol

Those macros should be updated throughout the code replacing the - and / characters with something else that is valid in an identifier, _ for example.

Just looked and those macro definitions aren't even being used -- just delete them.

Those macros should be updated throughout the code replacing the - and / characters with something else that is valid in an identifier, _ for example.

Just looked and those macro definitions aren't even being used -- just delete them.

thanks for the advice, bare in your mind that my coding knowledge is zero , just tell me what i need to delete exactly. "what's a macro?"

Since they aren't being used, just ignore those particular warnings. The warnings will become errors if any code were to attempt to use them -- then you'd have to up your game.

Back
Top Bottom