DIY Axe-Fx Foot Controller for $50 (Open Project)

Anyone familiar with this code do you know which libraries the sc_button.h and timer.h come from?
I downloaded Piing's files, the axe fx and the nextion library and I can't find anything to do with buttons or timers other then
nexbutton.h

appreciate the help and this project. its amazing.

Yes the simple controls took care of SC_Buttons.h
but the Timer.h is missing....

What library is the Timer-Master in your list there?
I will definitely post pictures and stuff when I get it going.

Code:
In file included from C:\Users\NRozk\Desktop\AxeFX Pedal\progress\Arduino\Axe3EnhanNex09_12\Axe3EnhanNex09_12.ino:18:0:

sketch\LayoutUser.h: In function 'void sendFunction(byte)':

sketch\LayoutUser.h:26:9: warning: statement will never be executed [-Wswitch-unreachable]

P_("void sendFunction sw = "); P_(sw); PL_(" --- ");

Sketch uses 23832 bytes (9%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 4900 bytes (59%) of dynamic memory, leaving 3292 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.

Nice! It compiled now. It had this one warning but its just saying that code won't execute which hopefully isn't a big deal.
Thank you for your replies guys! Appreciate it a lot. I just have to plug everything into the arduino and we will see what happens.

That should work (as far as the contact is momentary), but I am wondering if it will support too many foot stomps. Be gentle when stepping on it

Finally I got those foot stomp pedal switches, I had to wait so long to get them

And since where in lockdown this is quiet a good time to work on building my board, this build will be more of a practice to make sure I get everything right.

The main challenge I face here, is soldering the wires to the 2,4,5 terminals of the midi plug, As you see in the picture the terminals are tiny compared to the solder gun tip.

is there any way else to do this instead of soldering?

Otherwise, I’ll have to find a way to mask the terminals with something like aluminum foil or some type to avoid getting any excess solder on them while working on each specific terminal.

P.s. I have no experience with soldering but after watching a decent amount of vids and tips I guess I can do it.

Attachments

• _20200803_003934.JPG
    _20200803_003934.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Finally I got those foot stomp pedal switches, I had to wait so long to get them

And since where in lockdown this is quiet a good time to work on building my board, this build will be more of a practice to make sure I get everything right.

The main challenge I face here, is soldering the wires to the 2,4,5 terminals of the midi plug, As you see in the picture the terminals are tiny compared to the solder gun tip.

Otherwise, I’ll have to find a way to mask the terminals with something like aluminum foil or some type to avoid getting any excess solder on them while working on each specific terminal.

P.s. I have no experience with soldering but after watching a decent amount of vids and tips I guess I can do it.

You need to get a needle tip for your soldering iron. I also suggest getting a thin copper sheet to use for protection between the terminals when soldering. A "helping hands" station will tremendously make the job easier as well. Tin the terminal and wire then join together with only 1-2 seconds of soldering iron heat. YOU CAN DO IT!! :D

Last edited:
I also recommend doing a few practice solders before doing your real one, I always found it helped.

Also, ^^^^^^^^^^ is good advice, avoid holding the iron on the terminal for too long, or you might melt the plastic and have unreliable connections!! Bitter experience speaking... 😁

You can use that tip if you practice first. I have used larger tips to solder smaller termnals. You don't have to make full contact of the tip with the surface to solder, just touch with the point and the melted solder shall go down to cover the contact surface. As they have said, practice first and watch the many tutorials that are available

I also recommend doing a few practice solders before doing your real one, I always found it helped.

Also, ^^^^^^^^^^ is good advice, avoid holding the iron on the terminal for too long, or you might melt the plastic and have unreliable connections!! Bitter experience speaking... 😁
You can use that tip if you practice first. I have used larger tips to solder smaller termnals. You don't have to make full contact of the tip with the surface to solder, just touch with the point and the melted solder shall go down to cover the contact surface. As they have said, practice first and watch the many tutorials that are available
Pre-tinning both leads is the most important preperation. Learned the hard way (molten plastics and all).

What THEY said!!! ;) BUT...you CAN do it!! :D Don't be skeerd. :p

@Rex @GotMetalBoy @Joe Bfstplk @RoketRdr @Reaper @Piing @tysonlt

Hello everyone, thanks for the helping tips, that was very encouraging.

Thanks for the amazon links too, but I live in Libya, so amazon is not a good option for me at the current time.

Anyway, the solder Iron I have, has a bad tip, it does the job but not as it should be, let alone soldering tiny pins with the hands of a first timer.

So, as you can see in the outcome pics,

I soldered pin No.4 (black wire) by twisting the wire around the hook and dropped a ball of solder on it, don’t ask me why I did this :/

And for pin 2 and 5, I soldered them as you guys suggested I tinned the wires and the pins and then joined them together.

So can you tell by looking at the pics that this is a healthy midi connecter and should function properly? Is there way a to test it with the the Arduino board ?

Thank you all

Attachments

• DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    965.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    825.9 KB · Views: 18
@Rex @GotMetalBoy @Joe Bfstplk @RoketRdr @Reaper @Piing @tysonlt

Hello everyone, thanks for the helping tips, that was very encouraging.

Thanks for the amazon links too, but I live in Libya, so amazon is not a good option for me at the current time.

Anyway, the solder Iron I have, has a bad tip, it does the job but not as it should be, let alone soldering tiny pins with the hands of a first timer.

So, as you can see in the outcome pics,

I soldered pin No.4 (black wire) by twisting the wire around the hook and dropped a ball of solder on it, don’t ask me why I did this :/

And for pin 2 and 5, I soldered them as you guys suggested I tinned the wires and the pins and then joined them together.

So can you tell by looking at the pics that this is a healthy midi connecter and should function properly? Is there way a to test it with the the Arduino board ?

Thank you all

Looks like it should work. Do you have an Ohm Meter? If not, you can buy one cheap and test your connections or you can make one with an Arduino. I'm not very good with Arduino yet but looks like an Ohm Meter is easy to make: https://www.circuitbasics.com/arduino-ohm-meter/

Back
Top Bottom