Ditching the POD HD500X for an XL+

Char2000

Inspired
I'll make this short and sweet.

My POD has been reliable for the entire time I've had it. Very durable, lasted touring, used for studio sessions with no complaint. The cleans are nice and the effects usable but god was the distortion off,felt watered down and weak. I never could get a good lead out of that thing.

So I bought an Axe.

Notes:

Lightweight my ass. Lighter than most amps, still the heaviest thing in my rack. My Crown Poweramp is lighter (Replacing with a matrix soon)

Tone: Miles above the POD in everyway. Dynamics are where they should be. Amps act like the real models. Hell, EVEN THE PRESETS SOUND GOOD!

Axe Edit: Like the POD's editor. Great program though it randomly stops communicating with my Axe. Could be win 10 acting up or USB suspend kicking in. I'll investigate

Set up: As crazy as you make it. I was up and running in 10 minutes.

I'm very happy with this unit. I've wanted it for years and when I got it was pretty honest with myself. It lives up to the hype. At 5 times the price of the HD500X it needed to. The only downside it the weight. I'm going to use the POD as a controller until I can order the MFC.

According to the manual, the unit weighs 14.75 lbs (6.7 kg). Did yours weigh in at more than that?

The packages was 18 in total but (Only added a shirt and sticker pack to the purchase.) That's still "Heavy" to me. It's not a deal breaker at all but I've held a II before and I thought I remembered it being lighter. Not really a problem, now I've gone tone for days.

Yeah, I remember the first Axe-Fx II ("Mark I") being about 10 lbs. (4.5 kg). The delta might be attributable to beefier power-supply, different LCD display or other factors.

G'day Char

Good move! The sound quality is exceptional isn't it. In regard to the weight - I guess you have a point when comparing to a pod - Would the AX8 be better suited for that?

oh.. and welcome! :)

Pauly

I'll make this short and sweet.

My POD has been reliable for the entire time I've had it. Very durable, lasted touring, used for studio sessions with no complaint. The cleans are nice and the effects usable but god was the distortion off,felt watered down and weak. I never could get a good lead out of that thing.

So I bought an Axe.

Notes:

Lightweight my ass. Lighter than most amps, still the heaviest thing in my rack. My Crown Poweramp is lighter (Replacing with a matrix soon)

Tone: Miles above the POD in everyway. Dynamics are where they should be. Amps act like the real models. Hell, EVEN THE PRESETS SOUND GOOD!

Axe Edit: Like the POD's editor. Great program though it randomly stops communicating with my Axe. Could be win 10 acting up or USB suspend kicking in. I'll investigate

Set up: As crazy as you make it. I was up and running in 10 minutes.

I'm very happy with this unit. I've wanted it for years and when I got it was pretty honest with myself. It lives up to the hype. At 5 times the price of the HD500X it needed to. The only downside it the weight. I'm going to use the POD as a controller until I can order the MFC.

As time goes along, you will really start to see the difference in the Fractal experience.
It not only lies with the tones, (which are huge), but also in this forum, the updates, the constant never-ending quest to keep improving this thing. Since I've owned mine, it just never fails to get better and better over time. Cliff and co keep improving it, and I keep getting better at getting what I want out of it.

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome.

G'day Char

Good move! The sound quality is exceptional isn't it. In regard to the weight - I guess you have a point when comparing to a pod - Would the AX8 be better suited for that?

oh.. and welcome! :)

Pauly

The AX-8 isn't exactly featherweight either though. It has a heavy steel chassis and aluminum end-caps. It's pretty heavy but very durable. We're thinking about doing a video and driving over it with a truck or dropping it out a second-story window.

Pour a beer on it.
Specifically on the screen/knob section, while it's powered up. And instead of a truck have a really fat drunk dude or chick step on the knobs while screaming out a retarded song request or shit-faced dancers crashing into it. That'd be more realistic and more likely to go viral, even if you stage it.

In 20 years gigging full time I've never had a piece of gear thrown out a second story window or run over by a truck.

I'm not sure why it's the gear manufacturers responsibility to make the product waterproof. Many people play gigs that are not in those environments, and if you chose to put your high priced gear there, oh well.

Many gigging pros have their expensive rigs, and also their dive bar rigs which are much less expensive, or somehow reduce the possibility of spilled beer at the gig (axe in a rack behind you, cheap foot controller, etc.). It's just part of the life of music.

I saw a DJ get his laptop and decks spilled on at a gig. No water proof option there either.

Thanks guys, I've been on the forum for a good minute so I'm familiar with it.

Cliff, any word on Axe-Edit compatibility on Windows 10?

I'm not sure why it's the gear manufacturers responsibility to make the product waterproof. Many people play gigs that are not in those environments, and if you chose to put your high priced gear there, oh well.

Many gigging pros have their expensive rigs, and also their dive bar rigs which are much less expensive, or somehow reduce the possibility of spilled beer at the gig (axe in a rack behind you, cheap foot controller, etc.). It's just part of the life of music.

I saw a DJ get his laptop and decks spilled on at a gig. No water proof option there either.

twas a joke

Well,

No one said it was their responsibility per say... but it would certainly be a great marketing feature if floor controllers were spill proof. I know I would find that a very attractive feature. It's worth manufactures looking at as a design feature. Apple could say "It's not our fault if you scratch or crack your phone screen." Instead, they engineered new screens that are incredibly strong and scratch resistant. (Dare I say scratch-proof.) That was a good move and a welcome feature IMO.

Yes, many folks play who don't have to worry about bar patrons, but I'd say plenty of us DO encounter gigs that are not on secured elevated stages. There are gigs where I might not even know what environment I'm walking into, and sometimes your gear is just too exposed. It's just reality for most gigging guitar players. As far as using a dive bar rig, or cheaper board... that really would not work for me. (At least not right now), although I do get your point. My gear is my gear, and it goes where I go. I wouldn't walk into a bar to setup and say "oh... let's go with my B rig". I'd be compromising my performance and capability on purpose at that point, and it's just not a choice I want to have to make.

My pedal board is shielded somewhat from the crowd by my 2 CLR monitors, which sit right in front of it. Thankfully, the slope of wedges keeps people from trying to set drinks on them. I set up in a way that really discourages people from getting "too close", and I have that barrier between them and my board (and me.)

+1
Out here in the trenches, working musician gigs are rarely patron, beer or weatherproof. My Gordius Little Giant has a tiny weather resistant screen and one knob I never use. I haven't wiped it down lately so it's covered in tracked-on patio dirt and got rained on twice this weekend.

I'm concerned the AX8 couldn't sustain that year over year. The competition hasn't ruggedized their gear and the result is repeat sales. As I said, two guys I know have gone through 7 units between them.

It's too costly to prepare for every contingency, but I certainly hope FA is considering either ruggedizing knobs/screen or creating user installable mods to do so.

Back
Top Bottom