Ditching the POD HD500X for an XL+

Specifically on the screen/knob section, while it's powered up. And instead of a truck have a really fat drunk dude or chick step on the knobs while screaming out a retarded song request or shit-faced dancers crashing into it. That'd be more realistic and more likely to go viral, even if you stage it.

In 20 years gigging full time I've never had a piece of gear thrown out a second story window or run over by a truck.

In my years of gigging I have been thrown from a second story window and have been run over by a truck. Not my gear though.

Yeah, I remember the first Axe-Fx II ("Mark I") being about 10 lbs. (4.5 kg). The delta might be attributable to beefier power-supply, different LCD display or other factors.

I am pretty sure the weight is the same no matter what version of the Axe-Fx II you have. Must be a fault in the manual.

I had used the POD HD500X myself and I concur with char. I could never get a quality lead tone out of it.

I had been using it through a QSC K8 initially, always sounded brittle and basically awful. I always figured I have to be doing something wrong or that maybe using a QSC speaker was the problem. So I went and got a Peavey tube amp to rig up 4cm and try to get some life into my tone.

My hd500x's main board was fried from trying to connect via usb and was stuck in a boot/loop mode. Took a month to get it fixed, then about a month later I must have stepped too hard near the preset knob and it broke off (not that any preset is worth anything on the POD) but it's not in any sellable condition and has not produced anything that I could use. Sound was always brittle.

After still being displeased with the quality of my tone. I decided no more half measures and bought the axe 2 xl+. Instant gratification. Not only were the loaded presets better than anything I ever got out of the hd500x, but it was also much easier to use. I was able to dial in worthy tones in about 10 minutes. Night and day difference!

I ended up selling my peavey tube amp and getting another k8 to have 2 going. I couldn't be more pleased!

may be heading this direction as well. been using a pod hd500x live for about 7 months. just picked up a kemper and i'll be trying that for a little while but i have a feeling i'll be switching to an axe myself here soon. i feel like the editing software and the ability to easily hook up to a power amp + cab makes it really seem like it's the pod hd's big brother so it'll feel familiar to me.

Agreed. Im running my XL thru 2 QSC 10s on stands and they sound MAHVELOUS.

Just out of curiosity since it seems we have similar rigs (apart from your larger K10's) ever use the vocal boost? I have always run them flat and know for the most part that is standard, I did read about one guy using it with his rig. I read all of that when I was trying to find out what was killing my tone, the QSC or the POD haha.

After having the axe for over a month I just love it. Worth every penny. A marvelous creation! I think it has literally improved my health.

Nope. Run them flat just like you. I had a CLR active cab but it was breaking my back to haul around. And the stereo experience from the dual QSCs just enhances the Axes awesomeness ;)

Nope. Run them flat just like you. I had a CLR active cab but it was breaking my back to haul around. And the stereo experience from the dual QSCs just enhances the Axes awesomeness ;)

Yeah the stereo from the QSC's is excellent I totally agree. Glad I got rid of that big old heavy peavy amp and doubled down on k8's. Now my rig is lighter than ever and sounds ten times as good. Seems to be the word on this thread as well.

Probably no need for the ksub really. Any thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom