• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Distortion Question

jw3571

Inspired
I'm having an issue on a lot of amps where I can't get a nice tight distortion sound. I only play in my basement so I'm not playing super loud. It sounds like there is too much distortion or my signal is too hot. I'm not seeing red led's so I don't think my signal is too hot but that's how I describe. It doesn't get better if I turn the guitar volume down, or lower the distortion on whatever amp i'm using. It obviously makes it less gainy but it doesn't clean it up. There is still this extra distortion sound. Anything I can try or check?

chris

Legend!
I'm having an issue on a lot of amps where I can't get a nice tight distortion sound. I only play in my basement so I'm not playing super loud. It sounds like there is too much distortion or my signal is too hot. I'm not seeing red led's so I don't think my signal is too hot but that's how I describe. It doesn't get better if I turn the guitar volume down, or lower the distortion on whatever amp i'm using. It obviously makes it less gainy but it doesn't clean it up. There is still this extra distortion sound. Anything I can try or check?
You can upload a preset so we can try it.

jw3571

Inspired
When you say turn down the distortion, are you talking in the amp block? If so, the sound is still there when you do that.

Rex

Legend!
Post a clip of the distortion you’re hearing.

Also, do you still get distortion on clean tones?

Shaw

Inspired
Wait.... there’s a such thing as “too much distortion”????

I’m joking, please post a preset for us to try.

jw3571

Inspired
So after missing with this more, I think what i'm actually hearing is interference. Is this something the gate can fix? I have a lot of lights on dimmers at my house? What kind of settings should the gate be at?

chris

Legend!
So after missing with this more, I think what i'm actually hearing is interference. Is this something the gate can fix? I have a lot of lights on dimmers at my house? What kind of settings should the gate be at?
a gate just masks noise, and if the noise is as loud as your guitar signal, it will mask the guitar as well.

the noise needs to be stopped. a gate doesn't seek out noise only.

jw3571

Inspired
The weird thing is I don't hear the interference when I play my other rig, which is a JVM1H thru a 2x12? Does the FRFR enhance the interference because it plays a wider spectrum of higher frequencies?

Rex

Legend!
The weird thing is I don't hear the interference when I play my other rig, which is a JVM1H thru a 2x12? Does the FRFR enhance the interference because it plays a wider spectrum of higher frequencies?
How much interference you hear depends on how strong the source is, how efficient the antenna (your guitar) is, the position and orientation of the antenna, and how much gain you have. There’s nothing inherent to FRFR that makes it more susceptible to interference.

First, let’s make sure it’s interference that you’re hearing. Unplug your guitar cable from your Axe-Fx. What happens to the noise?

jw3571

Inspired
If I unplug I hear a little bit of interference. I didn't mean that FRFR is more susceptible to interference, I just meant that it's easier to hear since it's a wider frequency range.

jw3571

Inspired
Yes, definitely reduced but not eliminated when on a distortion preset. If it's clean I hear no interference.

chris

Legend!
is this rig plugged into the exact same power outlet as the Axe-Fx? or is it a different room/plug?

REDD

Power User
Not sure what you are hearing but I will tell you like I told another forum member, for distorted sounds switch the input gate to classic instead of intelligent. I have to on all of my distorted presets or there is a nasty after effect noise. Even if this isn't your issue I highly recommend this.

Rex

Legend!
Yes, definitely reduced but not eliminated when on a distortion preset. If it's clean I hear no interference.
It would really help if you could post an audio clip so we can hear what you're hearing. You might have more than one issue going on.

Last edited:

jw3571

Inspired
Could some of this be from how I lower the volume? I typically keep my output 1 knob at around 20% then control the volume from the level control in the amp block. The sound seems to happen more when i have my guitar volume knob really low?

Top Bottom