Distorted vs Clean tones when comparing IRs

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Why do distorted sounds seem to highlight the differences between IRs more than clean sounds do?

I play clean-ish stuff about 80% of the time.

I also tend to stick with the same few IRs on all of my presets.

Every once in a while, I decide to try different IRs again to see if I can find a new go-to IR.

Often I will find something that sounds good to me on clean sounds but then when I change to a solo tone, it sounds horrible...

On the other hand, if I try out IRs with the solo tone and find one I like it will mostly also sound good with the clean stuff.

I’ve wondered this for a while. I think it’s because of the brightness of the IR.
Generally people like bright clean tones but they want balanced distorted tones and with the amp distorting its exciting many frequencies at the same time. You can then hear the IRs Voicing more clearly.

I’ve wondered this for a while. I think it’s because of the brightness of the IR.
Generally people like bright clean tones but they want balanced distorted tones and with the amp distorting its exciting many frequencies at the same time. You can then hear the IRs Voicing more clearly.
Interesting thought.

The IRs I've been using lately are from the ML Legends pack.

I just noticed the other day that putting an RTA block off of the Cab block that even with the High Cut all the way up that the high end still is mostly gone by 6300-6500Hz. I have the Low Cut at about 67Hz but it's not taking much out.

These IRs are really nicely balanced.

I'll have to try again and set the High Cut lower to see if that helps.

Thanks for the input. The harmonic content definitely makes sense.

I think I will be auditioning IRs with a different approach now.

Back
Top Bottom