Distorted audio while recording via USB

venne

Hi all,

I'm having an issue while recording audio from the Axe-FX via USB into my DAW (Using Ableton Live, but also tried Reaper and Garageband).
It sounds like a digital clipping, on the Axe-FX I do not see any clipping in the output meter also the CPU usage is at 50%, the preset is not heaving with just Amp, Cab and Reverb.

I record at 48kHz, running macOS Catalina 10.15.4 and Axe-FX has the latest Ares 2.0 firmware.

Any ideas where this distortion is coming from?

Here is an example clip:

Sounds as if the digital clock is not synced. I guess (but tbh I'm not sure) that your master clock is the DAW and the AXE FX MUST have his own internal clock. So you should switch the clock to EXTERNAL in your DAW.

Thanks for the hint! I found a setting for the MIDI Clock and set it to "None". Sounds like it did the job :)
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-22 um 23.44.21.png

Glad you got it figured out. Question, what's all this stuff about these "clocks"? I hear about a clocks in DAWs and there's a clock setting in the axefx menu. Can someone give me a quick rundown of what an audio clock is for exactly? Thx

Digital audio is tens of thousands of samples per second. It requires precise timing, eg. clock, for the signal to work at all. Two digital devices can't cooperate if they are not synced, that results in clicks and pops and useless audio. Sync means one device (master) tells the other one (slave) what to do, the slave just follows mindlessly. Kinky stuff...

Last edited:
Digital audio is tens of thousands of samples per second. It requires precise timing, eg. clock, for the signal to work at all. Two digital devices can't cooperate if they are not synced, that results in clicks and pops and useless audio. Sync means one device (master) tells the other one (slave) what to do, the slave just follows mindlessly. Kinky stuff...

Copy thank you!

Back
Top Bottom