AFIII Distant Hills - Me playing Ralph Towner's jazz piece

Wow, Henry, that was excellent!! Really enjoyed your playing on this one and your band. I'm a huge fan of Ralph Towner, Oregon, and the whole ECM slice of the Jazz world. You guys did a great version. I also watched your vid doing "East of the Sun". That was great too! Love that tune. Loved your tone on that one. Listened to it first then reread your comment and you said you used the Carr Roamer. I hadn't thought of that amp for a jazz tone but you get a nice full bell like tone that I'd like to get. I'll have to see if there's something close to the Roamer in the Ultra (don't have a III..........yet). Great job! and nice to hear some other types of music being played with the Axefx.

Wow, Henry, that was excellent!! Really enjoyed your playing on this one and your band. I'm a huge fan of Ralph Towner, Oregon, and the whole ECM slice of the Jazz world. You guys did a great version. I also watched your vid doing "East of the Sun". That was great too! Love that tune. Loved your tone on that one. Listened to it first then reread your comment and you said you used the Carr Roamer. I hadn't thought of that amp for a jazz tone but you get a nice full bell like tone that I'd like to get. I'll have to see if there's something close to the Roamer in the Ultra (don't have a III..........yet). Great job! and nice to hear some other types of music being played with the Axefx.
Thank you! My last jazz live playing amp was my actual 1965 Deluxe Reverb - That's what led me to the Fractal world. I had two amps that were too precious for me to take out any more: Deluxe Reverb, Seymour Duncan Convertible and my Boogie Quad rack was just too big. The Carr is an updated, improved if you will, version of the DR. It gets that small, compact mid rangey, warm DR tone. I never really liked the heft of the Twin, although I played a Yamaha G-212 for years.

Thanks for listening and chiming in!!

Very nice, Henry! Great start for the day. Also, it’s great to see the mix in ages in the band! These guys are fortunate to have you passing on the influences and discoveries of your life in music. There is such huge value in that!

Really nice Henry, props to you and your band, well done!
And not a band/player that gets covered a lot, sophisticated stuff, for lack of a better word, and not in any typical jazz bag either.
Oregon is (or was?) an amazing band, I've lost track of them over the years.
Your tone is nice here, very Metheny in the single note parts.
Kudo1

Last edited:
Hey Henry.
Super nice! Nice way to ease into a Monday morning!
And yes, Kudos to the band - nice vibe!

Superb!
Ralph is one of the most underrated composers of all time.
Love his music and this is a nice tribute.
Thank you!

Such great playing and tones! Thanks for sharing. I was beginning to wonder if there were any jazz players on this forum but very happy to hear this. I’m not really familiar with this artist myself but this rendition really reminded me of Pat Metheny and Lyle Hayes. It had that feel to it but I really love the tones. Now if I can find someone that does some Holdworth type lead tones on the AXFXIII, I would be very happy. Great job!

Such great playing and tones! Thanks for sharing. I was beginning to wonder if there were any jazz players on this forum but very happy to hear this. I’m not really familiar with this artist myself but this rendition really reminded me of Pat Metheny and Lyle Hayes. It had that feel to it but I really love the tones. Now if I can find someone that does some Holdworth type lead tones on the AXFXIII, I would be very happy. Great job!
Thank you so much Johnny! There definitely are some jazz folk on the forums here. I've heard one or two peeps doing some great Holdsworthian tones as well.

Back
Top Bottom