Disruptive, so TTK says... New wireless option.

Dutch

Fractal Fanatic
Can't really see what is disruptive about this, but I like the small footprint and the cable to guitar output. Don't like the ones with the built in Jack plug. It's digital on the 2.4GHz band.

https://www.praaudio.com/product/wic-for-guitar/

After shipping to EU and VAT it will be about as expensive as the Shure and top Line6 stompbox shaped offerings, but I'm curious.

Anyone know anything about it?

Last edited:
Saw a review of it compared to cables, and it sounded like the cables on youtube. I personally just went with the shure glxd14 for the rechargeable aspect as I'm sick of buying batteries. I was using an x2 that was sucking me dry on 9v's.

Saw a review of it compared to cables, and it sounded like the cables on youtube. I personally just went with the shure glxd14 for the rechargeable aspect as I'm sick of buying batteries. I was using an x2 that was sucking me dry on 9v's.
Saw that too.

This has Li-Ion built in as well.

I have aWIC ,the range is fantastic, and no dropouts, but used in a studio with low gain material there is a detectable hiss, at higher gains much less noticeable. I have not yet used it in a gig situation . The new L6 G10 seems not to have that background noise but a) it's a PITA ergonomically if you play seated, And B) it does NOT work with all guitars for a reason I do not yet know.

To my ears, latency is not an issue with the WIC , but the background hiss is.

Yea, personally I'd just be wary of any product like this that doesn't list out the full specs. And to your point Signal to Noise isn't listed...and probably because it might not be very good.

It seems very odd they don't list any kind of latency spec.

I agree. It takes time to do A/D and D/A conversion not to mention encoding, broadcasting, and decoding to/from radio signal. I would like to know the exact round trip time this takes at a minimum.

Hm. Can't have hiss.

Then again it's raining complaints about dropouts with the new Line 6s, the Shure has its share of naggers too...

I will only use it live. Is it really noticable in a live situation?

Odd that it is a bigger problem on clean, than on high gain. One would expect the opposite. Something in the high gain settings must filter it out, maybe something in the clean tones emphasizes it?

I have aWIC ,the range is fantastic, and no dropouts, but used in a studio with low gain material there is a detectable hiss, at higher gains much less noticeable. I have not yet used it in a gig situation . The new L6 G10 seems not to have that background noise but a) it's a PITA ergonomically if you play seated, And B) it does NOT work with all guitars for a reason I do not yet know.
Hi

This is Pyotr Belov (VP of Sales and Marketing) from PRA Audio. Thanks for purchasing the WiC System. I am not sure when you purchased yours but we have made improvements addressing the the noise floor that should take care of the hiss you might have experienced. If you would like, we will be happy to offer a newer unit in exchange for your older one. I can be reached thru here or theu PRA web site.

Best,
PB

Ah. Not shipping to Europe.
Hi

This is Pyotr Belov from PRA Audio

Currently we do not have a European distributor and you are correct the site is not set up for orders from Europe. However, we will be happy to ship to EU. Cheapest rate is $50 USD thru US Post Office and it takes about a week to get to Europe from US. If interested, please e-mail thru the PRA web site.

Thanks,

Pyotr Belov
VP of Sales and Marketing

Hi

This is Pyotr Belov (VP of Sales and Marketing) from PRA Audio. Thanks for purchasing the WiC System. I am not sure when you purchased yours but we have made improvements addressing the the noise floor that should take care of the hiss you might have experienced. If you would like, we will be happy to offer a newer unit in exchange for your older one. I can be reached thru here or theu PRA web site.

Best,
PB
Thank you, Pyotr, I will be happy to take you up on your offer. I did purchase the unit soon after its initial release.

Thank you, Pyotr, I will be happy to take you up on your offer. I did purchase the unit soon after its initial release.

Great! Always a pleasure to connect with an early adopter.

Happy to help. Same goes to anyone else who is having hiss issues. We have made progress and we want to take care of anyone with exchange for updated unit. Please e-mail me pyotrbelov@praaudio.com and I will arrange an exchange.

Great! Always a pleasure to connect with an early adopter.

Happy to help. Same goes to anyone else who is having hiss issues. We have made progress and we want to take care of anyone with exchange for updated unit. Please e-mail me pyotrbelov@praaudio.com and I will arrange an exchange.

Well, I gotta admit, these guys really went out of the way to address my (apparently legitimate) noise floor concern that they say have addressed since I got mine..
When I receive my new one(already arranged) I'll be sure to report.....

I'm curious about this now....thanks for the web link and product notice...seems their customer service is top notch. I work in customer care/service so I appreciate companies that do what they say. I currently run the Sennheiser EW100 G2...may be downsizing...any words on how it compares to that?

Latency (6ms) seems not good compared to, say, the Line6 G10 (2.76ms). Of course the form factor of the G10 (can't use it on a strat unless you're fine with it blocking the tremolo arm?!?) rules it out for me.
-
Austin
This isn't about the WIC, this is the x-vive. Just stating the obvious to avoid confusion. Older Line 6 wireless were slower too, weren't they? And the new ones are prone to dropouts, so I keep reading.

I don't like this sort of form either. But one could make an extension jack cable with a female on one end and stick that thing in the back pocket or tape it somewhere. I love the Rean NYS224S silent switching jack. Looks like a switchcraft, silent unplugging and pretty solid. Haven't had one break yet and they're like 2 bucks, I have two main cables and three spare, four new plugs in a drawer somewhere. If I need to, three minutes of soldering gets me a new one. So that will be on the cable anyway. You just need to make sure it's plugged deep into the jack.

Well, I gotta admit, these guys really went out of the way to address my (apparently legitimate) noise floor concern that they say have addressed since I got mine..
When I receive my new one(already arranged) I'll be sure to report.....

Good one. Awaiting report anxiously.

Back
Top Bottom