Disruption, datruption, Eruption.

It's Mark Day's Aussie cousin! Great job, just the right pace and got to the point. A good example of how you can get very good tones quickly. Oh, and yes, you've got hope. Keeping it simple is the right approach, which can be tough with a unit with so much power.

Last edited:
Hi Burgs!

Really a good Video with a great Sound and playing. I think, you´re a great VH-Fan?

And you don´t Play a Frankenstein-Strat like Eddie did.....but it sounds as good as. It´s not the VH-Model from Music Man - this one, they build any more?

One Problem - therea are a lot of Marshall 25W - Cabs. Which one did you use?

Happy new year from Germany!

Hubi

Hi Burgs!

Really a good Video with a great Sound and playing. I think, you´re a great VH-Fan?

And you don´t Play a Frankenstein-Strat like Eddie did.....but it sounds as good as. It´s not the VH-Model from Music Man - this one, they build any more?

One Problem - therea are a lot of Marshall 25W - Cabs. Which one did you use?

Happy new year from Germany!

Hubi

Hi Hubi,

Happy New Year to you, too!

The 2010 stock Music Man Axis you see here is basically the same design as Eddie's original EB EVH with the exception of a slightly wider fingerboard down the body end to allow for better string spacing. Also, I've added a DTuna so I can drop down to D in a hurry if need be. I do own a Charvel So-Cal but this guitar seems to have 'that' sound and lends itself to the EVH style a little better, in my opinion.

The cab is the stock 101 — 4x12 Basketweave Green Mix — Based on '72 Marshall cabinet with four 12" G12M (greenback) speakers.

Yes, I'm a long-time VH fan. My first encounter with them was back in 1980 and I've never been the same since.

Cheers,

B :)

Hi Hubi,

Happy New Year to you, too!

The 2010 stock Music Man Axis you see here is basically the same design as Eddie's original EB EVH with the exception of a slightly wider fingerboard down the body end to allow for better string spacing. Also, I've added a DTuna so I can drop down to D in a hurry if need be. I do own a Charvel So-Cal but this guitar seems to have 'that' sound and lends itself to the EVH style a little better, in my opinion.

The cab is the stock 101 — 4x12 Basketweave Green Mix — Based on '72 Marshall cabinet with four 12" G12M (greenback) speakers.

Yes, I'm a long-time VH fan. My first encounter with them was back in 1980 and I've never been the same since.

Cheers,

B :)

Great video !!!!

I own that guitar as well...did you modify the humbucker height with respect to the factory setting? had to lower mine as it was too hot :)

Great video !!!!

I own that guitar as well...did you modify the humbucker height with respect to the factory setting? had to lower mine as it was too hot :)

Nope, I've left it pretty much as is, apart from adding the D-Tuna which was a good move. I did have problems with tuning initially but I discovered that the nut was not screwed down properly. Tightening it rectified the problem and now I'm having an unnatural love affair with the guitar. :p

Hi Burgs,

Great video, you capture the EVH style of playing and phrasing really well!

I was following your video while checking out the Stock Eruption preset at the same time, when I turn the Reverb block on/off I get a noticeable difference in volume, on your demo there doesn’t seem to be a difference in volume, did you change something on the reverb block?

Your recording thru YouTube sounds great. Are you playing thru monitors and recording thru an external source or are you recording directly via USB?

Happy New Year!

Hi Burgs,

Great video, you capture the EVH style of playing and phrasing really well!

I was following your video while checking out the Stock Eruption preset at the same time, when I turn the Reverb block on/off I get a noticeable difference in volume, on your demo there doesn’t seem to be a difference in volume, did you change something on the reverb block?

Your recording thru YouTube sounds great. Are you playing thru monitors and recording thru an external source or are you recording directly via USB?

Happy New Year!

Thanks for the kind words. Yep, like others, that sound really grabbed me by the throat all those years ago. I spent months trying to nail the licks (I still struggle!) and general approach. Good fun but a hard habit to shake once you've invested so much time in it.

I did run a Waves L3-16 Limiter over the Pro Tools session master output to keep the sans-reverb part of the video (just amp and cab) in check as far a levels go.

Introducing a parallel reverb or other effect into the Axe-FX II signal path almost always has an impact on levels, and to be honest I haven't quite grasped the theory behind it, although I hope to soon! Yek or Cliff are our best bet for info on that subject but no doubt it's already been addressed and we just have to search. Any happy helpers willing to shortcut that search and point us to a link will be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for the kind words. Yep, like others, that sound really grabbed me by the throat all those years ago. I spent months trying to nail the licks (I still struggle!) and general approach. Good fun but a hard habit to shake once you've invested so much time in it.

I did run a Waves L3-16 Limiter over the Pro Tools session master output to keep the sans-reverb part of the video (just amp and cab) in check as far a levels go.

Introducing a parallel reverb or other effect into the Axe-FX II signal path almost always has an impact on levels, and to be honest I haven't quite grasped the theory behind it, although I hope to soon! Yek or Cliff are our best bet for info on that subject but no doubt it's already been addressed and we just have to search. Any happy helpers willing to shortcut that search and point us to a link will be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for responding, I am still trying to grasp all the different tools available to us in this box as well! Lol!

Keep jamming away!

Nice run down on the Brown sound and great playing. I am currently on a Van Halen kick myself right now. The axe fx really does cover a lot of ground and supply you with everything you would ever want or need. I just need to keep trying to get the phrasing and swing of Eddie, much harder than the hunt for brown sound.

Back
Top Bottom