Discrepancy between amp initialization values and amp values in FW7 presets

guitardoc

Experienced
While working with FW7 I found something funny which makes me wonder...

When scrolling through the FW7 amp presets (1-49 I believe) I happened to press Bypass (not FX Bypass) twice while in Pre page which initializes the amp values. Funnily, some values changed.

Take the AC30 TB (Preset 7) for example - the bright cap is set to 89,9 pF in the preset but defaults to 60 pF. The same with the input low cut - it is 500 Hz in the preset but defaults to 600 Hz.

So why are they different in the 'presentation presets'?

Options:
1. The FW7 presets are basically FW6 presets and still contain some of the FW6 defaults (can't check - didn't want to get back to FW6) - when getting FW7 out nobody really bothered to check on all values.
2. The values were altered because the defaults are less optimal then the 'optimized values' in the FW7 presets - however, to my ageing ears, the default values sound a tad better than the altered values in the presets.
3. Something entirely different.

Any ideas?

The V7 preset banks have been fixed up by Cliff. They can be found in the Sticky called "Sticky: Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 7.00" at the top of the Axe-Fx II Discussion bord.

Are you sure? When was it done? Because this is where I got the presets from when I found the discrepancy.

Are you sure? When was it done? Because this is where I got the presets from when I found the discrepancy.

The preset banks on the support page are dated August 8, which is the same day they were first released along with the release of Firmware 7.00, so the 7.x presets have not been updated.

The amp sim defaults are not necessarily the same thing as Cliff's idea of a showcase preset. If that were the case, the presets would probably have GBMT all at noon. And they don't. Really, I notice that people seem to be fixated on getting the "right" settings rather than dialing the sim to what sounds good to them. You all have different guitars, strings, picks, cables and rooms. Hell, put a different cab sim on any amp preset and you are likely to be moving knobs. What is this "optimal" you speak of? :D

I have just been resetting the amp (bypass) then dial to taste on any of my presets. it has been easier getting tones though with 7.

Back
Top Bottom