Discovery of the Day... 058: 5F8 Tweed

Ah, didn't know he sells stuff. Oh well ...

In that case he should apply for the vendor label.

The original post to this thread was back in 2018, but I’m really glad to see people are still discovering this amp and falling in love with it like I did when I first gave it a serious go. If you’re curious, 3 years on and I’m still using it!

Love this amp model... Urban played guitar on this tune so when I discovered it I had to learn it. The 5F8 paired with one of the AC30s has become my go-to sound on the AX3.

Which version of firmware was this preset created for on your webpage?

Im using 3.02 - works fine on my FM3 - buy it you will thank me later - blends in with youtube videos like you read about - favorite preset ever

I have been gigging mainly using a variation of the III's Fender Twin model, which sounds great and covers so much ground for me. I was working on setting up a new Strat for my brother, so was cycling through some presets and ran into this one. I know... late to the party, and it's been there a long time. But I've never spent a lot of time with it.

Finished the Strat (an HSS model) and picked up my 513. While the Strat did sound good, the PRS sounds great with this preset! Easy to control breakup with picking or a little volume control on the guitar, and has a great crunchy rhythm and lead tone opened up. I'm going to have to gig this one and see what it sounds like with the band.

If you haven't tried this for the range of blues, classic rock, and country you're missing out! Give it a spin.
When you are gigging what is your setup for monitoring the Axe? SS or Tube power FRFR, guitar cab etc?

When you are gigging what is your setup for monitoring the Axe? SS or Tube power FRFR, guitar cab etc?
I use one output to FOH and another to an FRFR monitor. I currently use the CLR Neo II, but have also used the RCF NX12SMA with good results. I like being able to change my monitor settings (volume/EQ) without affecting the FOH send, as that send is also used by the FOH desk to provide a monitor send to the other players.

In our normal setup, I have a second monitor to hear the rest of the band. In cramped quarters, I can route both to the CLR.

Last edited:
The reason I ask is because I’ve tried the FRFR setup using a matrix 1x12 slanted and it just sounds pretty boxy to my ears and then I’ve gone back to traditional cab with a matrix power amp. Not super happy with either for some reason. I’ve never heard the Clears in person but I here guys like them.

How do you get that boxy sound out of your FRFR setup or is it an issue for your setup?

thanks

The reason I ask is because I’ve tried the FRFR setup using a matrix 1x12 slanted and it just sounds pretty boxy to my ears and then I’ve gone back to traditional cab with a matrix power amp. Not super happy with either for some reason. I’ve never heard the Clears in person but I here guys like them.

How do you get that boxy sound out of your FRFR setup or is it an issue for your setup?

thanks
One thing I had to adjust to was hearing my “finished” sound on stage. With the FRFR, I was getting a sound more akin to what you hear monitoring in a studio with your amp blazing away in a sound room. The reason I liked it is because I had a much better impression of what the audience was hearing when my speakers were not lopping off the top and bottom of my effects. What, at first, sounded a little disconnected from what I was used to hearing on stage became a real confidence builder knowing what I was sounding like out front. It‘s just like the studio... who wants to sing with no effects or compression on the phones? 😆 Hearing the full sound on stage can be a big plus.

The CLR has a wide dispersion, and feels like a bigger sound source than it is. I haven’t used two, but I imagine a stereo set would be immersive, much like it sounds on my home monitors (Presonus Scepter S8s w/Temblor sub). ”Boxy” sound, to me, is something that comes from a small cab with a beamy, focused output. The CLR doesn’t suffer from that, but do keep in mind it is one speaker.

The guitar to tube amp to ear is its own thing, which I also love hearing. But when I realized that I could have studio-like control and monitoring on stage, and at a volume that fit my band scenario, it was worth the adjustment. Now that I’m used to that, going back to the inconsistent setup/micing/response of a tube amp in a live environment hasn’t been worth my while. I’m not saying I wouldn’t do, or enjoy, it. I have recently done a few “grab an amp and go’ gigs that were a lot of fun. But it’s always a plus to have the full Axe Fx rig on hand.

Thats probably more than you were asking, but I hope something in there is useful in your playing situation!

Back
Top Bottom