Discovery of the Day... 058: 5F8 Tweed

Rick

Axe-Master
I have been gigging mainly using a variation of the III's Fender Twin model, which sounds great and covers so much ground for me. I was working on setting up a new Strat for my brother, so was cycling through some presets and ran into this one. I know... late to the party, and it's been there a long time. But I've never spent a lot of time with it.

Finished the Strat (an HSS model) and picked up my 513. While the Strat did sound good, the PRS sounds great with this preset! Easy to control breakup with picking or a little volume control on the guitar, and has a great crunchy rhythm and lead tone opened up. I'm going to have to gig this one and see what it sounds like with the band.

If you haven't tried this for the range of blues, classic rock, and country you're missing out! Give it a spin.

Last edited:
I've said on numerous occasions that the 5F8 tweed Twin amp sim alone justified the price of my (now former) Axe Fx II XL+'s.

Dial the gain back and you have the warmest, fattest clean Fender tone for Jazz, country, soul, blues and old school rock, then dial up the gain and go through the encyclopedia of classic blues and rock tones.

Sounds great with teles, strats, super strats, LP jr's, LPs, ES 330, ES 335, Dusenbergs - hell anything I've ever tried with it.

This is my all time favorite Fender amp and in a fierce head to head battle with the best JTM-45's and Plexi's for my favorite amp.

I have played on it some, in passing, and thought it sounded ok but actually spent a few minutes on it today and was really impressed. I can see playing most or all of a night and never switching presets in some situations. Pretty darn good sounds coming out of the ol' RCF today!

I can vouch for that. It was practically the only amp that I used for the last theater show which was Return to the Forbidden Planet. With my wood library PRS 509, it nailed the classic 50's and 60's tones.

It’s a really versatile model, much more so than I gave it credit for being. My bad there, I should have jumped on this long ago!

Bump.

I've had my FM3 a couple weeks now (love it!) and just discovered this preset/amp. Scene 2 is fantastic! So touch responsive and just a joy to play. I played it for a couple hours with my LP, getting killer blues rock tones like the first couple of ZZ albums. (Friedman ASM 12 for a speaker.)

It's officially my favourite amp model, so far. :)

Love this amp model... Urban played guitar on this tune so when I discovered it I had to learn it. The 5F8 paired with one of the AC30s has become my go-to sound on the AX3.

That sounds really good, especially when you lean into it. Good job!

This is what’s great about the fractal stuff. I am relatively new to this high end digital modelling and always wondered why have so many cabs and amps. Sometimes when you are just looking for some inspiration, you can wander around and just trying something you wouldn’t normally go for and it can help get you out of that rut. Been spending a lot of time with the 5F8 and it has definitely become one of my top.

Love this amp model... Urban played guitar on this tune so when I discovered it I had to learn it. The 5F8 paired with one of the AC30s has become my go-to sound on the AX3.

Sounds so great! What is the guitar you're playing?

On my Ax8, it’s been my amp since 2016, use a shimmer drive for lead. I bought a pack of amp presets (a lot of them) dialed in right. i think I’ve found a replacement amp, then AB them and back I go.

Back
Top Bottom