Discovering hot water.

Roadrunner

Power User
Ok so this joke is on me, but I must share it with you guys…

So, I have been using Fractal gear since 2012 more or less and I went through all the Axe modelers and few of them even twice! So, a big fan of FAS here.
I'm playing guitar for almost 40 years, old school player.
I've had pedals I had minibar size racks, I had heads with 4x12's, I used to drag cabinets, heads, power amps and what not to every rehearsal and gig because I had to have at least 4 speakers barking @ my back.
Let's not forget that all these years I'm trying to reduce weight, yes?
Then came Fractal and I still continued to use and drag traditional amp (tube and then switched to matrix) paired with 2 2x12 cabinets (Couse hey… I need stereo and I need speakerssssss).

Lately we had a new member in our band, a guitar player who use Line6 Helix and he runs FOH always.
So we had a gig and I decided to……well I took the chance, I must say it was nerves breaking for me, seriously but………I went FOW as well for the 1st time ever with FAS gear.
Still I had an amp + cab in the car as I was terrified of the idea standing on a stage with no cabinets behind me.
Obviously, the gig went very well and the sound was perfect.
Needless to say after the gig I banged my head into the wall asking myself why on earth didn’t I do that years ago?
I don’t have an answer but hey, I had enlightenment, you can run direct to the mix AND it will be ok AND you will survive. :)

With a Helix, they don't have much of a choice because they don't have a global option to disable the cab or IR block, so if they wanted a speaker on stage it would have to be a FRFR.

I always bring a FRFR cab because I never know if I can rely on the venues monitors. I used Yamaha DXR10 and DXR12 FRFR speakers but now use Harbinger VARI V2312 because they're light weight and a 3rd of the price of the Yamaha's but sound close enough.

I remember the first time I tried to go direct from my Axe-Fx II Mk1, the sound guy was yelling at me that it will sound horrible and refused to let me do it. I disconnected the cable from the mic and did it anyways and the sound guy was in disbelief how good it sounded. I no longer own a real guitar cab, well unless you count my super old Crate GX60 that still works haha.

Back
Top Bottom