Discovering classics feat. SLO 100

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
The wookie is slipping into the Axe III discussion here as its amp model related. I still use the II for now. Going to move towards the III sometime soon so figure i should get more acquainted with the III threads.

It's funny with all the choices we have in this black box. I tend to stick to a handful of amps/presets just for my own sanity as i can get overwhelmed with choice. That balance of indulging my curiosity into the endless rabbit hole of amp/cab combinations , tweaking etc and just playing the guitar. In the beginning I was tweaking more and shifted to playing more these days while slowly incorporating new amp models to my tonal palate.

Enter, yesterday I finally got around to messing with the SLO 100 lead. Holy effing sweet mother mary joseph. I get it. I see why this is a monster rock amp. It took me 1 min to dial in an amazing sound. That thick growl that isn't overly saturated and offers amazing lushness when ringing out a chord appregiation. The surprising thing for me was that I was able to get so much gain with the Input Drive around 2.30. I will be favoring this amp for some time to come.

Last edited:
I recently started looking at this amp as well when the new line of Soldano amps came out this year. It has been my go to ever sense. On the Axe III I play the SLO crunch mode boosted for 80's stuff, and the Lead (un-boosted and boosted depending on the song) for 90's style stuff.

It was this model on the III that caused me to sell off a bunch of gear and purchase the SLO-30, which is also a beast.

I recently started looking at this amp as well when the new line of Soldano amps came out this year. It has been my go to ever sense. On the Axe III I play the SLO crunch mode boosted for 80's stuff, and the Lead (un-boosted and boosted depending on the song) for 90's style stuff.

It was this model on the III that caused me to sell off a bunch of gear and purchase the SLO-30, which is also a beast.

My amp tastes have always veered away from the molten high-gain side of the spectrum, but the SLO was always the exception to the rule in that it produces a beautiful saturation but you can still hear the percussiveness of the actual guitar cutting through. Any amp that can placate both Eric Clapton and Nuno Bettencourt is a winner in my book.

The SLO 30 is VERY intriguing to me. If you don't mind me asking: how do you like the clean channel and do you feel it has ample headroom?

My amp tastes have always veered away from the molten high-gain side of the spectrum, but the SLO was always the exception to the rule in that it produces a beautiful saturation but you can still hear the percussiveness of the actual guitar cutting through. Any amp that can placate both Eric Clapton and Nuno Bettencourt is a winner in my book.

The SLO 30 is VERY intriguing to me. If you don't mind me asking: how do you like the clean channel and do you feel it has ample headroom?

I think the clean is very pristine. Reminds me of Mesa Mark series. I "think" it has ample head room. I can say having owned a mesa mark V25 in the past that it stays clean MUCH louder then the Mark V25 did. But depends really on how loud your drummer is determined to be.

Even at theoretically only being 10 watts more power then the PT20 and 5 watts more then the Mark V25, I can say definitively it is considerably louder across the board then both of those, even though if you were just looking at the wattage on paper it should not be that much louder. On par with the Suhr Badger 30 volume wise.

It is a very 90's sound, so if you are strictly into the real tight palm mutes, you will likely need to adjust your picking accordingly, or maybe throw in some tube screamer type boost to simply tighten things up a little. I find it is tighter then a recto, but similar. Basicaly, out the gate the overdrive channel with no boost will be more suited for "Outshined" then "Master of Puppets".

I want to be able to bond with the SLO model, but I just can’t gell with it. The model gets quite dark, When ran at 5-6. However, I do enjoy the physical version.

Back
Top Bottom