Discovered today that PEQ knobs can accept modifiers, despite lack of little yellow circle in AxeEdit3

Try attaching a random LFO to the trim start and trim end! Here's a little sample including a random LFO assigned to reverse and half speed - it glitches in a few places where the min and max overlap but that's part of the fun IMO.

Or use a synth, arpeggiator and harmoniser to generate chords (see attached patch).

Zounds! @2112 & @Joe Bfstplk this is some great fun you have discovered!

This is a bug in Axe-Edit. It shouldn't allow modifiers to be connected to those parameters.

Theoretically ANY parameter can be modified but we disallow some parameters from being modified because it can cause audio artifacts.

If there are parameters you want to be modifiable the correct thing to do is to make a request in the Wish List. If we deem there are no negative consequences to making the parameter modifiable then it's a simple thing to do as it's just a flag bit in the parameter's descriptor.
Do you know off hand if the looper controls would cause issues? There is a wish for adding modifiers to the looper controls:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/looper-requests.153908/page-2

This is a bug in Axe-Edit. It shouldn't allow modifiers to be connected to those parameters.

Theoretically ANY parameter can be modified but we disallow some parameters from being modified because it can cause audio artifacts.

If there are parameters you want to be modifiable the correct thing to do is to make a request in the Wish List. If we deem there are no negative consequences to making the parameter modifiable then it's a simple thing to do as it's just a flag bit in the parameter's descriptor.

Duly noted.

1594069394641.png

So what happens to all the fanciful modifiers you guys are hooking up when this bug, which Cliff clearly feels this "feature" to be, gets fixed?

Presumably Axe-Edit won't show them.
Will it strip them out?
Will they stop affecting audio in the hardware?
I assume they already aren't displayed on the hardware, right?

So what happens to all the fanciful modifiers you guys are hooking up when this bug, which Cliff clearly feels this "feature" to be, gets fixed?

Presumably Axe-Edit won't show them.
Will it strip them out?
Will they stop affecting audio in the hardware?
I assume they already aren't displayed on the hardware, right?
I backed up my data before experimenting, so reversion will be easy should this not move forward.

I’m just worried someone will share a preset later on without remembering they made some “unauthorized” changes that will bork my equipment and I won’t be able to fix it because the underlying modifier change can’t be seen.

I’m just worried someone will share a preset later on without remembering they made some “unauthorized” changes that will bork my equipment and I won’t be able to fix it because the underlying modifier change can’t be seen.
Cliff will probably code something in to prevent you being able to load the preset or block with non-approved modifiers in future version, he's a pretty smart guy.

Cliff will probably code something in to prevent you being able to load the preset or block with non-approved modifiers in future version, he's a pretty smart guy.
Or better yet maybe, just ignore the unsupported ones, so you don't lose the whole preset?

This "bug" is the most fun I've had playing with AMP parameters (I haven't even tried other blocks yet). I've never had time to play with most of the AMP parameters due to needing to turn A-E dial encoders as many as 10 times to span the whole range of a parameter (or using a mouse in AE3 which is also a bit clunky comparatively).

This begs a question. Can the encoder response be enhanced with an "acceleration feature" so that one rapid turn (CW or CCW) could go from one extreme to the mid-point (12 o'clock) and another rapid turn to reach the other end? Thus with quick turns one could quickly jump between three values: min (0% dial) <-> mid (50% dial) <-> max (100% dial). Turning slower would return to normal granular dial behavior. Perhaps there could be a config for dial acceleration: off, min/max (0%, 100%), min/mid/max (0%, 50%, 100%), or five values (0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%). Could potentially be done for the main Value dial too (but it seems to have some acceleration already?).

If there is interest, I'll make a wish item.

Could it be made an option in global settings to allow all parameters for modification or to allow only the safe parameters. I understand the need to prevent some people from doing stupid things and asking why they get audio glitches. But on the other hand, people like @simeon might create deep at with this options and glitches.

You can also get to the modifiers from the controller menu instead of coming from a parameter in a block. There you have them in a list and you see everything at once.

Could it be made an option in global settings to allow all parameters for modification or to allow only the safe parameters. I understand the need to prevent some people from doing stupid things and asking why they get audio glitches. But on the other hand, people like @simeon might create deep at with this options and glitches.

+100

or make a sticky that says only modifiers with the dots are supported and tested as stable, so if you decide to add modifiers that aren't tested, it's at your own risk. May also want to put a similar message on the Support page when submitting a ticket.

Honestly being able to add modifiers to all parameters would really put the Axe-Fx III over the top as the holy grail of modelers and give us full potential for creative freedom.

Honestly being able to add modifiers to all parameters would really put the Axe-Fx III over the top as the holy grail of modelers and give us full potential for creative freedom.

Agreed. Another suggestion for "tracking modifiers" is for the Axe to put something like a red indicator dot (or square for colorblind accessibility) below parameters that have a modifier attached but are not "official" (a yellow dot for official). Then we can at least see what has a modifier attached. (In addition to the Controllers/Modifiers screen per @666was999.)

BTW, I (with help of @Joe Bfstplk) am systematically going through all AMP parameters and documenting which have no or low artifacts in a spreadsheet. Will share soon so others can verify and add other block parameters.

Back
Top Bottom