Disconnect Preamp + Tonestack From Power Amp?

DJD100

Power User
...for those times when you want to use a external preamp in the loop, with the Axe acting as a tube power amp sim only?

So far I've used the Tube Pre with the tonestack set to "active", all controls a 12:00 (and the advanced params dialed accordingly for Class A or AB and Presence Freq etc), though this is actually the vintage tonestack and the colorization it gives even with the controls zero'd is noticeable.

Is there a better way to use the Axe as just a power amp sim (it's easy to turn off the power amp, but not the preamp etc)?

Last edited:
...for those times when you want to use a external preamp in the loop, with the Axe acting as a tube power amp sim only?

So far I've used the Tube Pre with the tonestack set to "active", all controls a 12:00 (and the advanced params dialed accordingly for Class A or AB and Presence Freq etc), though this is actually the vintage tonestack and the colorization it gives even with the controls zero'd is noticeable.

Is there a better way to use the Axe as just a power amp sim (it's easy to turn off the power amp, but not the preamp etc)?

If I recall correctly the way Cliff wrote the amp sim Algos you cannot separate the power amp sim from the preamp sim, only turn off the power amp sim portion. I think it had to do with reverse engineering protection.

Thanks, I believe I remember that too.

Anyways, for any others needing help in this area the Two Notes Torpedo's power amp sims work fantastic, and give you choices of single ended or push pull with four different tube types KT88, El34, EL84, and 6L6 with Presence and Depth control (as well as world class mic/cab sims that allow you to position the mic in the virtual environment in real-time).

Two Notes Audio Engineering | Advanced speaker miking simulation

If I recall correctly the way Cliff wrote the amp sim Algos you cannot separate the power amp sim from the preamp sim, only turn off the power amp sim portion. I think it had to do with reverse engineering protection.

Back
Top Bottom